Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question: has anyone had an entire month of little loss?

Hello Everyone!

I am struggling a bit and could use some support. Has anyone gone through an extended period of time with very little loss early on in the "honeymoon" phase? So I will be three months out from surgery September 1st. so I am still really early into this process, but I am a bit confused by my results. For the past three weeks in a row I have only lost 1 pound per week. Obviously that is better then no loss, but I just don't understand why. My tracking app says I should be losing about 3.2 pounds per week. Isn't that a big difference? Now I do know that I have gained some muscle, because when I saw my nutritionist my muscle percentage had increased, so that explains some of it. I just am getting really frustrated and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to increase my weight loss. On average I eat 700-800 calories per day, 60-80g of Protein, around 40g of Net carbs, and at least 64oz of Water. I also workout 6-8 times per week (I workout twice some days). When I go to the gym I usually burn about 350 calories and when I go to my fitness class I burn anywhere from 250-300 calories. I don't eat more because I am exercising though. What do you guys think? Is there anything I can change, add or remove. Has this happened to any of you? I really wanted to hit my first goal, but I don't think I am going to now.... Anyway please let me know because this is getting really frustrating and definitely messing with my emotions. Thank you! ????❗️

Yes, we all go through stalls. After losing a large amount the first three months, I didn't lose anything the fourth month. By keeping with my program I continued to see physical progress and the scale has started to move again.

You said you are losing a pound a week. That is not a stall. You are still losing.

Ignore what your tracker app says you SHOULD be losing. It isn't God. It doesn't know your body. It only uses a standard formula that is based on averages. Our bodies are complex systems, not simple machines.

If you follow your program and do what you are supposed to do (get in all your Protein and Water and exercise), then you will be fine.

Hi Marce. Yes, that happened to me once. In fact, I lost NOTHING for almost four weeks, I would have been thrilled to lose a pound a week! I am pretty sure my stall was related to hormones somehow. Once I started dropping weight again, I did lost a bunch really fast, which was nice. I know it is frustrating but it sounds like you are doing a great job following your plan and you should be really happy and proud about that. I will say I think it's dangerous to set goals for yourself that involve losing a certain amount of weight in a specific timeframe -- it's like the weight loss gods can hear our thoughts and laugh at us when we do that. It doesn't seem to end well.

This may sound counter-intuitive but if you are desperate to try something, you might try dialing back the exercise a bit. I have found that when I go super-gung ho on exercise, I feel great, but my weight loss slows to a crawl.

I agree, maybe dial back the exercise. If you are exercising twice a day but not increasing your Protein and carbs then you are probably setting yourself up for slow loss. Have you talked to your NUT? Your calories and protein seem low for someone who is exercising as much as you are.

Thank you both for your advice. Yes I spoke to my NUT last Saturday. She said to add in at least half a Protein Shake immediately after my workouts (on top of what I already eat). I started doing that this week so we will see if it helps. Your probably right about the goal timeline thing, I have to learn to be more flexible with it. I am trying not to be too hard on myself, but that's easier said then done...

Hello Everyone!

I am struggling a bit and could use some support. Has anyone gone through an extended period of time with very little loss early on in the "honeymoon" phase? So I will be three months out from surgery September 1st. so I am still really early into this process, but I am a bit confused by my results. For the past three weeks in a row I have only lost 1 pound per week. Obviously that is better then no loss, but I just don't understand why. My tracking app says I should be losing about 3.2 pounds per week. Isn't that a big difference? Now I do know that I have gained some muscle, because when I saw my nutritionist my muscle percentage had increased, so that explains some of it. I just am getting really frustrated and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to increase my weight loss. On average I eat 700-800 calories per day, 60-80g of Protein, around 40g of Net carbs, and at least 64oz of Water. I also workout 6-8 times per week (I workout twice some days). When I go to the gym I usually burn about 350 calories and when I go to my fitness class I burn anywhere from 250-300 calories. I don't eat more because I am exercising though. What do you guys think? Is there anything I can change, add or remove. Has this happened to any of you? I really wanted to hit my first goal, but I don't think I am going to now.... Anyway please let me know because this is getting really frustrating and definitely messing with my emotions. Thank you! ❗

Hello Everyone!

I am struggling a bit and could use some support. Has anyone gone through an extended period of time with very little loss early on in the "honeymoon" phase? So I will be three months out from surgery September 1st. so I am still really early into this process, but I am a bit confused by my results. For the past three weeks in a row I have only lost 1 pound per week. Obviously that is better then no loss, but I just don't understand why. My tracking app says I should be losing about 3.2 pounds per week. Isn't that a big difference? Now I do know that I have gained some muscle, because when I saw my nutritionist my muscle percentage had increased, so that explains some of it. I just am getting really frustrated and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to increase my weight loss. On average I eat 700-800 calories per day, 60-80g of Protein, around 40g of Net carbs, and at least 64oz of Water. I also workout 6-8 times per week (I workout twice some days). When I go to the gym I usually burn about 350 calories and when I go to my fitness class I burn anywhere from 250-300 calories. I don't eat more because I am exercising though. What do you guys think? Is there anything I can change, add or remove. Has this happened to any of you? I really wanted to hit my first goal, but I don't think I am going to now.... Anyway please let me know because this is getting really frustrating and definitely messing with my emotions. Thank you! ❗

I also had surgery the first of June and I am doing the same. I started exercise classes this month and I have been at the same weight and measurements. I am trying to increase my caloric intake now and I know that my body is just trying to adjust. I have been at 500 cal trying to get another 150 - 200 cal a day and keep my carbs down. That's been my struggle. I feel so much better with exercising regularly.

I am 3 1/2 weeks out, and only lost about 4 pounds since surgery 8/3. I am feeling very frustrated and disappointed, but I keep being told it will happen and the weight will fall off. It is good to hear other people have had similar issues, not that I am glad you are struggling, and hopefully it will start falling off, but some of us our bodies are saying I know you had the surgery but we're holding on, and I hope eventually the battle begins and the fat is let go of. Good luck

Yep, 38 days straight of the same weight! I was so down in the dumps and thought that was all I was going to lose. Keep up the good work and the scale will move!

@@Tauni

Wait....what?? You've ONLY been eating 500 calories up until recently? And now you want to increase to 700? You need to be at AT LEAST 800-900 calories now. Keep it that way until you are 6 months out, then try to increase to 1000.

You will be surprised how increasing your calories ramps up the weight loss!

@@Tauni

Wait....what?? You've ONLY been eating 500 calories up until recently? And now you want to increase to 700? You need to be at AT LEAST 800-900 calories now. Keep it that way until you are 6 months out, then try to increase to 1000.

You will be surprised how increasing your calories ramps up the weight loss!

Yea I agree 500 calories is low for almost three months out. My doctor say 700-800 calories is normal for this stage. You may want to up your calories. @@Tauni Are you meeting your Protein goal? You should keep in touch, we both had surgery the same day, it would be cool to compare notes...

@@TauniWait....what?? You've ONLY been eating 500 calories up until recently? And now you want to increase to 700? You need to be at AT LEAST 800-900 calories now. Keep it that way until you are 6 months out, then try to increase to 1000. You will be surprised how increasing your calories ramps up the weight loss!

Thanks so much for this. It's been on my mind a lot lately. I've put my head down and have really stuck to my guidelines but I am now going to really increase my calories daily. I appreciate your all your advice.

I agree with the above posts regarding some increase of caloric intake, especially if you're not at goal. However, another helpful tip I've learned during stalls is to decrease your carb intake by 50% for a few days.

Thanks guys for being so supportive. I would gladly like to report that this week I managed to break the month long trend and lose 2.5 lbs!!!! I am thrilled. Hopefully, I won't see another month like that for awhile.