Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks post-op and hunger hit!

Today marks 6 weeks since I had VGS surgery, and my journey has been amazing! No major issues at all. I have lost 40 lbs so far, (including pre-op) which feels amazing. I'd love to know how much you were down at the 6 wk mark! I do feel it should be a little bit more for me than just 40 lbs but for the past 1-2 weeks, hunger has hit me hard. I was telling my husband, the other day, that I feel like those people in the Snickers commercials when hunger hits me lol. I'm never hungry in the mornings, but by lunch and dinner time my stomach is mad at me and I feel ill. I actually liked the weeks before when I didn't ever feel hungry. The part that worried me most is actually how much I've been able to eat. I ate an entire piece of eggplant lasagna yesterday! That's at least a half cup of food! Is that normal for being this early in my journey? That was really the only "meal" I had all day but it kinda scared me when I actually saw how much I could eat, and this has happened to me a few times. Is this just another "phase" that I don't know about, or am I doing something wrong? Should I up my Protein intake? My Water isn't at 64 oz yet but it's close to 50. I guess I'm just scared of failing when I see myself eating so much because I was starving, then the scale not move as much as I'd hoped it would. I appreciate any advice as always :)

Your "stomach being mad" sounds more like acid than true hunger. Are you on a PPI?

If you are concerned about how much you are eating, then eat less. Stop the "eat until I am full" mindset. Plan how much you are going to eat, measure or weigh your portion, and stick to that.

To be honest, the choice to eat eggplant lasagna worries me more than the amount you can eat. Why are you eating carb-heavy foods rather than protein-rich foods?

Your weight loss sounds awesome to me. Try to ditch any preconceived notions you have of how fast you will lose weight. You will frequently surprise yourself with how your body loses weight -- sometimes more than you expect, sometimes less than you expect. But it seems like, from what I see here, people start to freak and stress at the "less than I expected" parts and it really gets them down. So just focus on following your plan as best you can and let the weight come off at the rate it wants to. That said, I think you've lost an amazing amount of weight and expecting something different is completely unfair to the surgery as well as to yourself. Be good to yourself :)

I am also 6 weeks out and can eat about half cup of food. But what I do I measure my food and track everything I eat to stay within the limits my NUT set. I got a big scare at week 3 when I ate 1100 calories!!!

You CAN reset yourself and not eat the 4oz of food. Just choose Protein rich low carb and low fat foods. Low fat has been hard for me, but working to get better. I have lost every week avg 4lbs... The least has been 1 lb at week 3. I am down 30lb since surgery. 48 since beginning of this journey in Jan.

Let's do this and work our sleeve.

I am trailing right behind you all at 5 weeks post op. I too could probably eat 1/2 cup but I measure everything. I got the little plastic to go cups with lids from Amazon and use those daily. I have the hunger feeling when I wake up in the morning. So I think I am going to start doing a protien snack before bed, to try to tie me over. I will either do a pudding with Protein mixed in or cottage cheese. I read that somewhere. I am trying to eat small portions 5x a day to keep it spread out. Now that doesn't happen everyday and sometimes I only wait 20 minutes after drinking to eat. It is a full time job to keep it all flowing to be able to reach my Protein and liquid goal for the day. I have lost 34 as of today, so I can related that I wish it was more but as long as I see it going down I am happy. I will say the days I get my goal in the more I lose.