Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone who has read my posts knows that I'm pretty upbeat and positive about weight loss surgery in general, and the sleeve in particular. That's why it pains me to share the results of a new study that is not terribly optimistic (links below). With that being said, I think what this means is that we need to be put even more energy into getting all the way to goal weight, and then be even more diligent about maintaining it for the rest of our life. Otherwise, some of the weight will come back and bring co-morbidities along for the ride – especially diabetes. So hard as it may be, my suggestion to myself and everyone else is to remember that there is no finish line! We have to stay ultra-focused on our healthy eating programs forever. Of course we already knew that, but this study really brings it home. So let's use that as extra motivation to succeed!!!

Washington Post Synopsis

JAMA abstract of the study results

This has been out, well I put it out I should say. There was a fair amount of comment on it. Not a lot people can do. Its sort of known that this is restriction only and you can get by things like that (band).

Vic

This has been out, well I put it out I should say. There was a fair amount of comment on it. Not a lot people can do. Its sort of known that this is restriction only and you can get by things like that (band).

Vic

Sorry, I missed it when you put it out. So this is another reminder, I guess...

Thanks, @@Rogofulm .

@@swimbikerun ... where's the original thread you posted about this research? Link here at the forum, please?

Um, its not on this forum. Alex created it and I have the big file to upload. I've got a slew of research from time gone by and am adding to it.

Thanks for sharing @@Rogofulm!

This reminds us this is a marathon, not a sprint.

It also shows us that WLS isn't a magic fix - my weight has been an issue since I was 17 and will continue to be in my thoughts every day for the rest of my life. My sleeve is a tool I have - along with my gym membership, yoga membership, shoes I wear on a hike and, most days, my brain which says "You might not want to eat that."

Thanks for the reminder!

This study just confirms what I already knew...average is about 70ish percent of excess weight is lost within 1 year and 5 years out its closer to 50%. That is still VERY sucessful long term weight loss compared to 5% with diet and exercise, yes?

I am definitely interested if they detail in the full study what the factors were that contributed to more weight being kept off at 5 years. My guess is what I've heard before: exercise.

I intend to be above average in everything I do or in this case "below" average in terms of my weight. But I am just starting out.

The EWL is about what I thought it should be too.. the disappointment is probably more about diabetes remission rates?

Great reminder it's a tool, not a magic wand and should not be sold as one. Now, if they wanted to be fair, they could have put the results of behavior modification alone beside it and you see just how good a tool this is. But original point is well taken, prepare to hit the ground running following surgery and slow down to a jog for maintenance, but keep moving.

I will have to admit when I read this it depressed me. Then I told myself that if I just stick to my program for the rest of my life I will probably keep the weight off, followed by the thought that when it's all said and done, I will still be better off even if I only keep 50% of the excess weight off.

Well I think the bigger point is the diabetes effectiveness issue. If someone doesn't have it, maybe just insulin resistance, and being overweight, that does seem to make a bigger difference than having diabetes. The amount of weight too lose also.

At least they're being honest. 50% is still better than nothing and if this is used for those who are prediabetic or just turned (believe it was 'how long someone had diabetes' was a factor) diabetic, maybe that is what needs to happen? At least if docs have that recommendation it is better for patient decisions.

I will have to admit when I read this it depressed me. Then I told myself that if I just stick to my program for the rest of my life I will probably keep the weight off, followed by the thought that when it's all said and done, I will still be better off even if I only keep 50% of the excess weight off.

You know what, though... Having this knowledge might motivate some people to commit even more fully to the life-long effort required for success. We need to beware the dangers of short-term thinking that tells us if we get to our goal weight -- or to a weight we find acceptable -- that the journey will be over. It's not! That's only the beginning....

@@Rogofulm ... I'm with you.

I intend to continue to rock this sleeve as completely and fully and for as long as I can.

And if they come up with a fecal transplant of skinnyfying gut flora that will make my job easier, I'm getting that, too. ;)

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a f**k what that study says. I could drive a semi through the holes in its extrapolatability to anyone other than the patients of that surgical practice.

:)

@@Rogofulm ... I'm with you.

I intend to continue to rock this sleeve as completely and fully and for as long as I can.

And if they come up with a fecal transplant of skinnyfying gut flora that will make my job easier, I'm getting that, too. ;)

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a f**k what that study says. I could drive a semi through the holes in its extrapolatability to anyone other than the patients of that surgical practice.

:)

Ooooh.... "extrapolatability" and "f**k" in practically the same sentence? Love it!!! Who says people curse because they lack the vocabulary to express themselves properly?