Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had sleep apnea for 9 years and have worn a CPAP for most of that time. It inspired me to become a respiratory therapist. I can tell you a couple things. Honestly give the set up time to work. It's an adjustment sleeping with something on your face. And keep working with your home health to find a mask that works for you. There are so many options. Once you get a routine, you'll be amazed how much better you sleep. It may all be a nonissue once you have WLS, but definitely something to address and take seriously. Feel free to pick my brain if you have questions. Like I said, it's my life, personal and professional.

Had my sleep study last week. I thought I slept great. They called today and told me I quit breathing 203 times during the night, 32x a minute. I'm mind blown! I never wake up and think "man, that was a good night of rest!" I always think "man I'm tired" but at least now I know why. I thought I was just a sleepy person! I had no idea I quit breathing. I have to go back now and do the test with a cpap on and I don't know if I'll have to use a cpap from here on out or just for surgery. But this just like is one more thing letting me know I'm making the right decision to have the surgery. I can't wait until I can be healthy and get a good night of rest and not wake up and feel exhausted. Anyone else have any sleep apnea stories or maybe you don't have it anymore since you lost your weight... I can't imagine sleeping with that Loud machine and mask on my face every night

Well I had my study last night. Did not enjoy it lol

They gave me 3 diff masks to try one that just had to little holes for your nose but didn't cover it (nasal pillows she called it), one that covered just the whole nose itself, and one that covered nose and mouth. I chose the middle one because the one for the nostrils was too much and I didn't want the one over my mouth either but the head strap was very uncomfortable and I hated it. The mask was tight and put a lot of pressure on my cheek bones. Where as I typically don't wake up at all during the night I woke up several times tugging at that thing. And normally I dream ALOT every night and I don't remember dreaming at all so I don't know if I ever got that deep sleep. I do feel like it's something I could get used to if I was maybe in my own bed and didn't have 1000 other cords coming from my head and body. I can't tell if I feel more rested today than usual. I wasn't able to take a machine home with me this time due to the cost but I definitely am taking it seriously and will work to get one. Hopefully I can find a mask that works for me.

Sounds about right. There is not much fun about a sleep study. Hooked up like a science experiment in a bed that is not your own does not lead to a great night sleep. But, the information is valuable! I use the nasal mask too. It does take time to get used to. You may have to adjust the straps on the headgear to find that balance of right enough to seal but not cutting off circulation to your brain. ???? It takes a little time, but once you are used to it, in your bed,in your terms, you'll sleep much better. Check cpap.com to get ideas about more masks. There are a lot of variations.

It will get better. I promise. Just takes a little time.

Knowing that sleep apnea can cause other issue or make them worse like HBP, has anyone seem improvements there and not just in their sleep patterns? How long did it take to see those improvements?

Haven't had my Nut appts yet I think I only have to do one but I did just get scheduled for my EGD they had an appt open up for TOMORROW .... Wow hello nerves! I'm nervous- anything anyone want to tell me about that procedure? Lol

You won't remember any of it????

Once they give you the sedative and you wake up you will be back in the recovery room.

I went for my sleep apnea consult last week and the Dr. feels there is a strong possibility that I have it. My insurance won't cover a lab study so I have to do an at home sleep study. How precise are those? Has anyone been conclusively diagnosed using the at home test?

Edited by mharper77

Yes, I have to pick the equipment up Thursday I couldn't believe my insurance wont cover the room stay I just hope it works the same.

The at home test will likely be focused on oxygen levels throughout the night. It's definitely not as conclusive as the lab, but should still give good information. Frustrating that insurance would not cover a formal study.

Had my second sleep study with a mask this time on Sunday, how long does it normally take to hear about the equipment and if insurance will cover it?

They called me before my appt and told me so that after my appt i could take a machine

Apparently my insurance had to see if it would work first.

I went through the same with my sleep study. It's definitely an eye opener and a sign that the choice for surgery is the right one. I should be picking up my cap this week and according to my dr. I will use it before and just for a little while after surgery. Once the weight starts to come off he said I shouldn't need it anymore. I can't wait to have a good night's rest, I feel like I haven't had one in years!

I had mine last week and I showed no sins of sleep apnea. I didn't snore and blood oxygen level didn't drop below 91. I slept on my stomach mostly. Interesting because I feel sure I have it. My neurologists thinks I have it.