Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'll have to check out the 3 o'clock position. My foot position should be pretty good as I'm using clipless pedals. I am stretching some but perhaps I should stretch more? I take my dog for a brisk walk, come home and stretch for about 5 minutes and then head out.

You may have to adjust where you attach. I think you can move them forward or backward, by adjusting them. I like mine back a bit more. You can also be not keeping your feet straight, it should feel as though you are scraping mud off of your shoe when you pedal.. (you can have your toe pointing down too far, or your heel pointing down too far).

@@Chrystee oh that's good to know! I'll have to pay attention to that when I go a little later today.

It will make a big difference.

@@Chrystee I think I might need the seat adjusted forwards or back. I don't think I can raise it anymore. My thumbs keep going numb. I may need to just suck it up and go to a new LBS and get refitted after I get my next pay check.

My hands went numb for awhile, you can get your handlebars raised at a curve and that may help.

@@Chrystee oh that's good to know. I may save up to get a professional fit done as it doesn't seem like mine was done very well.

Its little tweaks and tricks I've learned over the years, not really proper fit. You also may just be putting too much pressure on your wrists/arms.. which will get better as your core gets tighter.

@@Chrystee good point. I just find all of this kind of irritating because I had been really enjoying cycling and I'm enjoying it less now.

Indieflickers, comfort is paramount or you won't ride much. If you buy a road bike and try to ride on the drops, or God forbid, a tri bike and try to ride in the Aero position, you will not be a happy camper. A heavy bike in the beginning is actually a great training tool. Sit up. Look around. Enjoy the ride. You are not after speed. The goal should be to extend your riding time/and or get your heart rate up. Spinning high RPMs in lower gears can do that without putting too much stress on the knees. I personally switched over to recumbent bikes because I wanted comfort AND the ability to go fast and far.

If you are time crunched, think about intervals. Doesn't have to be crazy hard to achieve new levels of fitness. If you are experiencing fueling issues at the end of an hour, just go 45 minutes or 30 minutes. It's all about the journey. Enjoy it!

Excited to find this thread. I just bought a new, last years model Trek 8.4 DS. So far I have only ridden a little as it is too cold here in Michigan. So looking forward to spring. @@Indieflickers did you ever get a comfortable fit? I hope so. I also got the cheap Amazon padded shorts. Hoping they work ok. I also got a slightly more comfortable saddle and some clip less pedals and shoes. It will be hard to sit inside all winter with the bike in the garage!

@@dlappjr

Have you considered getting trainer for the winter months? I got one a couple years ago and still use it when it's too cold or raining. (Too cold for me is below about 30 degrees) You might find you like it and won't have to wait on spring!

Happy riding!

@@catfish87

I did find out about trainers while at the bike store, but after dropping some loot on the bike and some additional accessories, it wasnt in the budget. My wife actually mentioned it too, as a friend at her work told her about them. She may decide to get me one for Christmas. Fingers crossed! With any luck, after riding next spring through fall, I will be able to ride in colder temps. I tried a 2 mile round trip to my gym one morning at 5am and it was 30 degrees out. My lungs hurt for the whole day. I decided below 50, I'm not riding.

LOL....I remember FREEZING when riding a couple years back. I now have proper gear to be able to handle low to mid 30's pretty well for a couple of hours on the bike.

As far as getting a trainer, look on craigslist/ebay/etc for a used one. I see them all the time on social media in my area for sale.

Thanks for the tip. I will check out craigslist and google some local cycle clubs to see if I can find a good deal.