Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a couple questions about biking for you more seasoned cyclists. I'm trying to vary my cardio so I've finally started using my very nice Electra Townie which I bought five years ago and then hung on a wall to gather dust. As nice as the bike is, I'm wondering if I should get a different one as I don't think that cruisers are really meant for serious exercise. If I were to get another bike, is there a relatively inexpensive option anyone could recommend? Secondly, I've noticed for the past couple days that I get kind of nauseous towards the tail end of my hour long ride. Do I just need to drink more whilst riding or is there another explanation?

@@Indieflickers

What kind of surface do you ride on? Flat asphalt, dirt trails, crushed stone?

As far as exercising while riding a cruiser = MY OPINION, get a heart rate monitor.

Then you'll know if you're in the "fat burning/cardio zone". I think my HRM is probably one of the best investments I've ever made.

Depending on the surface you ride on, there may be some good choices in the "comfort/hybrid" styles of bikes. Giant/Trek/Cannondale/etc all make quality bikes. Make sure to go to a real bike store and let them determine what size you need. One that is correctly sized to your height/riding style will be way more comfortable.

As far as getting nauseous during the end of your ride: Do you eat anything before or during your ride? Any Protein type stuff? Protein drinks cause me the same as you're desribing. I do not use anything except water/coffee before rides of an hour or so. If I'm going longer than that, I'll have something such as a Clif bar and maybe some electrolytes about 45 minutes into the ride. Drink, Drink, Drink....dehydration and the end results are no fun.

Happy riding!

@@catfish87 I ride on asphalt and concrete. I don't foresee doing anything other than urban environments for awhile. I try to have a bit of yogurt about an hour before I exercise but I save the Protein Shakes for after. I went to the bike shop and got some electrolyte tablets to put in my Water. So we'll see if that helps!

There are many great bikes available second hand (eBay, craigslist etc.) I strongly suggest a gel pad on your saddle (you are getting less and less padding on 'your' seat) ;-). I recently switched from a steel bike frame to a carbon one. Wow, that makes a huge difference. Not only is the bike lighter, but the carbon frame absorbs shocks so much better, the ride is smoother and more fun.

@@OKCPirate Thanks! I'll look into that. I know there are some good bikes secondhand, but because I'm such a novice the idea makes me anxious. I don't know what to look for!

I just got a new bike - like you, I ride mostly on concrete or trails. I got a hybrid - slightly larger/grippy tires vs. something like a racing bike, because there are times I have to ride thru gravel or rougher terraine. I used to have a cruiser and it's very heavy - it was fine when I ride to the market, but for a long ride, that weight really gets to me. The hybrid is good for me.

@@Indieflickers - Look online, go visit some bike shops. I know we have a great Meetup Group here in OKC and they have a wealth of info. And there are "bariatricpal" equivalents for cycling enthusiasts.

@@Indieflickers

Yea, I'd skip the yogurt and see if that helps....dairy and exercise does not go together for me. I'd say since you're gonna be on asphalt and concrete, go to the bike shop, get fitted for a hybrid or a road bike. I live in a pretty big metropolitan area and there are TONS of used bikes available. My first road bike came from a bike shop....it was an aluminum frame Trek road bike. I put several thousand miles on it and then upgraded to a carbon Fiber bike last year. You should be able to find a good, VERY good slightly used bike for around $300-600 range depending on what you want. Maybe cheaper. Bike shops take trade-ins and should be able to steer you towards a good one. After you know the style and size you need, craigslist is a resource you may desire to look at as well. So many people buy one and don't ride it.

And then theres always new....I see good Hybrids from $450 up. Road bikes will be more and carbon Fiber = Much more.

And really consider that heart rate monitor... I personally use a Garmin 310xt that works well for biking/running/etc. I would highly recommend it as a somewhat entry level multi-sport device that has a lot of info available. You'll be able to know for sure, just how hard you're working/distance/calories/etc.

And edited to add: Make sure you get some good padded riding shorts/pants/bibs. After a long ride, you'll be glad you did. :)

I bike a lot my favorite form of exercise. I have a more expensive bike but started with a comfort bike. My goal this year is to bike 2015 outside mikes plus I have an indoor bike. I bike indoors as much as outside. I just checked my oxygen level (grandbaby was in hospital) nurse was showing me how the heart rate and oxygen level monitor worked. She asked "do you exercise a lot" my hear rate was 57 and oxygen level was 100%. She was very impressed. Love biking and owe it all to lap band weight loss. Getting older but better is great.

@@OKCPirate @@McButterpants I did some googling and there are some great trade in places near me so I'll try and see if I can trade in my bike for either a hybrid or a road bike. How heavy is your hybrid @@McButterpants? I live on the second floor and have to carry whatever bike I get up and down a narrow flight of stairs. That's part of the hassle with my cruiser. But I do like idea of being able to ride on rougher terrain at some point.

@@catfish87 I did the yogurt this morning and didn't have any nausea but I was also drinking the Water with the electrolyte tab at every stop light. I have a couple cyclist friends who swear by Gu but I don't know if it's worth it for only an hour bike ride. Have you had any experience with it?

@@Indieflickers

If I'm going riding (hard) for more than an hour, I'll sometimes have a GU gel or chews about 45 minutes into the ride, and then about every 45 minutes thereafter. Or I just use full strength gatorade type drinks. I use Gu Gels more when running than I do when cycling. I can "eat" real food (bananas, nuts, Jerky, clif bars, etc) while cycling.

I use Gu gels a lot so that I can keep my band open for Water and energy drinks. Also, if I am out a lot I have blocs that have salt in them. I sweat a lot and need the extra salt or I get leg cramps. WARNING: biking is addictive. :)

@@gerio good to know! I sweat a lot too which is why I've been using the electrolyte tabs. Though I'm starting to suspect that they're giving me terrible gas pain! They didn't seem fizzy but I hardly ever get gas pains and they're the only new thing I've been ingesting as I haven't actually tried the Gu yet. Has any one else used them and had this problem?

Edited by Indieflickers

I'm a pretty big cycling fan.. My preference for bikes is Specialized.. I have 2 road bikes and a mountain bike. I love road cycling.. that's my passion. right now is a great time to buy a bike, as most bike shops will be getting rid of their 2015/2014 models and should be on sale. Any good name brand will be great. Make sure your shop includes things.. like I've bought all mine from a local shop, rather than a big name shop because they include yearly maintenance and discounts for life of my bikes.. where big name stores only sell the bike.

I've never had a nutrition issue, but now that I'm getting longer and longer rides (50 miles) I'm starting to fizzle out towards the end of the ride too. My last ride was only 20 miles, but pretty big hills and it was very hot and humid (91*) and I had to get a Gatorade after my ride because I was feeling dizzy and lightheaded..

Edited by Chrystee

@@Chrystee that's good to know! I really liked the Specialized bikes too and was thinking about getting a Specialized Dolce but I ended up getting a Trek Lexa C because it had a carbon fork. I just got it last Saturday and I'm still getting used to clips pedals and the literal ass ache from the saddle. I wear padded bike shorts which has helped but the saddle is still hitting me in some sensitive areas so I may have to adjust the seat. I think I may need to raise it some too because my quads get pretty sore pretty fast and according to different cycling sites that may mean my seat is too low. Any advice for a newbie?