Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you had your diabetes reversed after surgery? If you did, were you on insulin and for how long?

I've been on insulin for roughly 3-4 years. My endocrinologist thinks I'll be only on metformin once I leave the hospital. I was looking to see how many of you had that happen.

I was only on Metformin pre-op - 2000mg per day - but I was sent home from the hospital without it. I had my first A1C this week and it was 6.0. Hasn't quite been 3 months so still some old sugars and will go down more. My endocrinologist marked my records as "Type 2 Diabetes RESOLVED". Trust it will go away and go away fast!

Sleeved Dec 2014. Type 2, 12+ years. On a boatload of meds including 55 units of insulin, byetta, januvia, glimipiride, metformin and the list goes on. Down 82 lbs and my last a1c in June was 5.4. Been off everything post surgery.

My endocrinologist says my diabetes is in remission. He says once you have it you will always have it and will always need to be vigilant regarding monitoring and eating. But I can tell you he couldn't be more delighted... and neither could I????

I was a type 2 diabetic but only on Metformin prior to surgery. My A1C was 6.3 the week before surgery. I was told to stop taking Metformin the day before surgery and have never taken it since.

My A1C is now 5.4.

I am and always will be a diabetic but it is in remission, hopefully forever! My endo was absolutely thrilled because both my cholesterols are healthy as well.

I was on Januvia. My A1C was 7.5 prior to surgery. By 2 days post surgery, my diabetes was GONE. My high cholesterol is also history. Very happy!

I had Type II diabetes. I was on both metformin and glipiside prior to surgery. My physician want me to go on insulin because the meds were still not controlling my diabetes. I am 27 months post-op RNY. The day I left the hospital 2 days after surgery, I was off all my diabetes meds and haven't used any since.

I have had type 2 diabetes for almost 25 years and have been taking insulin for about 5 years.

I am almost four weeks out. Before surgery, my A1C was 11.3 and was told I had to get it down below 9.0 before the doctor would do the surgery. I was taking 2000 mg of Metformin and 120 units of Lantus (insulin) daily. I worked really hard to get my A1C under 9.0 and in just before my surgery, it was 6.8.

I was told that since I've had diabetes for so long that it was very likely that I would still be on some sort of medication after the surgery.

I left the hospital with instructions NOT to continue my metformin or insulin and to check my blood sugar three times a day. It should be between 100-160. If I see it going over 160, then I'm to start taking my metformin again. So far, I'm having trouble even getting above 100. When I up'd my exercise last week, I dipped to 71 and had to take a glucose tablet. I am hoping when I move to soft foods on Wednesday, that I will be eating more calories and that my blood glucose will be more stable. I also see my NUT on Wednesday and this is on my list to discuss.

With or without my medications, I will always be labeled a diabetic. Even though I am no longer taking medications, I don't consider myself in remission, because I always have to think about it and be mindful of low/high blood glucose every day. And now, carry glucose tablets with me where ever I go.

Funny situation - Fat girl studying nutritional information on lifesavers! I got the glucose tablets.

One good thing about having to give myself insulin shots - I now give myself B12 shots once a month and I don't have to worry about taking it every day.

I have been diabetic for over 25years. Before surgery I was taking 72 units lantus, 2000mg of met forming and januvia. Now I take 15 units of Lantus only. I wonder why it hadn't resolved yet? I am a little over 4 months out. I've lost a total 98lbs. What gives??????

I have been diabetic for over 25years. Before surgery I was taking 72 units lantus, 2000mg of met forming and januvia. Now I take 15 units of Lantus only. I wonder why it hadn't resolved yet? I am a little over 4 months out. I've lost a total 98lbs. What gives??

I have been diabetic for at least 13 years (although wasn't diagnosed until 2006; I had lots of symptoms before that). I was told that since I had been a diabetic so long, RNY surgery wouldn't necessarily "cure" me like it would others, and that I may still have to take some kind of medication the rest of my life. I was also taking massive quantities of insulin pre-op.

My dosage is way low now 7 weeks post-op, but I do still take insulin. 25 years is a pretty long time so you may not be completely free of it.

I have been diabetic for over 25years. Before surgery I was taking 72 units lantus, 2000mg of met forming and januvia. Now I take 15 units of Lantus only. I wonder why it hadn't resolved yet? I am a little over 4 months out. I've lost a total 98lbs. What gives??????

Some studies say that it takes up to a year for the diabetes to resolve.

Awesome posts to read y'all!!!!! I am five weeks out and just went to my general doc today. I will do blood work wed or Thursday or maybe next week. My son is having his wisdom teeth out tomorrow and I have to drive 35 miles to get blood work. Wonderful Aetna trs insurance. Only one place I can go. Can't wait to see my results!!

Awesome posts to read y'all!!!!! I am five weeks out and just went to my general doc today. I will do blood work wed or Thursday or maybe next week. My son is having his wisdom teeth out tomorrow and I have to drive 35 miles to get blood work. Wonderful Aetna trs insurance. Only one place I can go. Can't wait to see my results!!

Hi ring! How did your results go?

I never went to get blood work. I'm not sure why. That was a month ago..... Maybe I needed to wait. Anyway, I do go Monday hahaha. For sure!!!!

How are you???

I had diabetes for around 4 yrs. My A1C was 7.3 before surgery in Sept. 2014. I used to take Januvia. My diabetes went away in 2 days.

I cannot wait to see what my A1c is!!! Gotta admit if I am still diabetic I'm gonna be disappointed. I've only lost 33 pounds though. Not sure if that will do it.