Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for a triathlon...

I made my way into the transition area again and started to remove my bike gear. I saw a relay team nearby and asked about the swimmer. One of the guys told me it didn't look good. My heart sank again! The lump got larger in my throat. I was glad to be here doing this, but tragedy shouldn't strike at a fun event! I got ready for the run and headed out on rubbery legs. Wow, it was never that bad in training!!! I got a few blocks into the run and charlie horses invaded my calves! Ouch!!! I stopped and started to pound them out with my fists. I really thought I may be in trouble. I kept walking. I would run about 50 ft and then walk. I finally felt them let up 1/4 mile into the run. I was wiped out! I did run as much as I could. I really appreciated the encouragement from the other runners as they passed me or as they ran by on their way back in. I can finish this thing!!! The hill that kicked my butt last week did it again. I made it to the turn around and knew I was 1/2 way there. Wait, 1/2 was on the bike... I'm almost done!! Push yourself!I wore my number on my arms, but I also had them add my favorite acronyms. On my left shoulder was "JFDI" Just freaking do it!!! The right had "DFL>DNF>DNS" I had to just freaking do it. I walked alot more than I wanted to and ran whenever my calves allowed. I ran across the finish line and exclaimed "I am a triathlete!!!!" I had reached my goal. My friend came up to me and I broke down. A guy had drowned in the swim and I couldn't help him! She told me her experience, which was exactly as I had feared. She thought it was me. She got close enough to see that it wasn't my # on the arm. She still didn't know where I was. After everyone was out of the Water, she was still worried. She hoped. Then she saw me ride in on the bike.

I saw some paramedics and asked them how the guy was doing. They said he had a pulse and was responding at the hospital.

I went and gave a statement to the sheriff's office and the race organizer. Wow, what a day!!!

On the one hand I was elated that I had finished my goal. On the other, I was sad that tragedy had struck a family and the entire race.

Edited by UT LB Loser

When I got home, I called the local hospital and was told that he had been treated in the ER that morning. When I asked if he was still there, I was told no. I then started calling around to other hospitals hoping that he had just been transferred to a trauma hospital. I finally found the hospital on the third try. I couldn't get any info on his condition. I did get hold of his family last night at their home. They don't know how he'll do and I didn't ask for details. I told her my story and she said they had wanted to thank all those who helped out. I doubt that I would have realized he was in trouble had I not swam into him. I did what anyone would do. I hope someone would help me if I was in trouble too. Keep this guy in your prayers, please!!! I hope for the best!!!

Sorry if I upset anyone on this thread by telling this part of my day. I couldn't explain my experience in whole without sharing this.

Thanks goodness for wetsuits!!!! I doubt that I will ever do an open Water swim without one. They do provide extra buoyancy.

I am hooked on Triathlons! I told my friends and family that I wanted to do this in under 2 hours. The first thing my friend told me was that I had finished in exactly 2 hours. I didn't even think to get my times while I was there. I had other things on my mind. When I did think about it, I thought they might post the times on the website. They haven't yet, but hopefully tomorrow. I also sent them an email asking for my times. Regardless of all that, I did it in 2 hours!!! A personal best that will hopefully improve! I am seriously thinking about another Sprint Tri on July 12th!!

Time to get more serious about my running training. It is my weakest point. The extra weight I still carry impedes my run.

Keep on training and sharing your experiences with me! You all motivate me!!! Have a great week!!!!!! Just Freaking Do It!!!!!!!!!

Edited by UT LB Loser

Here are a few pictures from my triathlon.....

My Sprint Triathlon was 750m swim, 20k bike, and 5k run.

post-227671-13813137203456_thumb.jpg

post-227671-13813137203702_thumb.jpg

post-227671-1381313720393_thumb.jpg

post-227671-1381313720415_thumb.jpg

post-227671-13813137204372_thumb.jpg

Edited by UT LB Loser

I can't wait till I am in good enough shape to do something like that!! Dh has been in several Army marathons, maybe we can do one together one day. :grouphug:

I think it's great you are doing this, let us know how it goes!!

Hi

I did the swim leg of a tri about 5 years ago(part of a relay team). I really want to do the whole thing. Im entering one this summer! It is sprint length-400 meter swim/6ml bike/2ml run- not that I will be sprinting.

I figured it was time to "Just Freaking Do It!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by ajoneen
only going to do one.

I'm glad you decided it was time to JFDI!!!

I got my official results from Saturday's tri. My goal was 2 hours. I just missed it. But with all of the going ons... I will take this time for my first , but not last, triathlon!!!

750m Swim - 21:29.7

T1 - 5:38.5

20k Bike - 49:45.5

T2 - 2:56.1

5k Run - 42:51.4

Total - 2:02:41.2

My first Transition was terribly distracted as they were doing CPR on the swimmer in my direct line of sight. It will be much faster next time. I learned alot!!

Edited by UT LB Loser

Hey UT that is a very respectable time. Considering you kind of took a time out at the end of the swim. Im sure your swim and transition times will be better next race. When is your next race? I love the open Water swim. I will miss that this time around because the races I will be doing are in a pool.

I will be doing the Xango Echo Triathlon on July 12th. I plan to go up there this weekend and ride the course.

BTW, I called the hospital today and found out that my guy is still in ICU. I find that positive. Especially in light of the dire report that the dr. gave the family. I didn't ask for details but I know he is in bad shape. Time heals. Let's hope he can heal too.

I started my Tri training yesterday in the pool and on the bike. Times sucked but it is good to have a goal to shoot for.

Question to the ladies (of size)out there- where do you get your tri-suit?

Please don't worry about going slow! You are finally doing it! Enjoy it and don't worry about anything but finishing!! Slow and steady beats never ready!!!

I got some horrible news today though! My swimmer passed away. I'm really bummed.

Chris I'm so sorry about the swimmer guy. I was surprised you even finished the race. I would have just sat there and freaked. I wonder how many folks passed him by before you got there. That is one of my fears that I will just drop from a heart attack or something from the exertion/excitement of the day.:)

If you're the hugging kind of guy---HUGS--

Ok so I did a run through to get more accurate times.

2ml Run(more of a wog on the treadmill) 36mins

6mil bike 40min

400m swim 15min

Of course I didn't do them in the correct order and I wasn't rushing from one to the other. But Im feeling good that I can at least not make a fool of myself.

Edited by ajoneen