Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for a triathlon...

You should look into the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. I did my first marathon with them last year pre-band (yep..all 240 pounds of me did 26.2 miles) and I'm now training for my second marathon post-band!! It's a phenomonal program that trains you for triathalons, marathons, and cycling events. It's great because you can be a total beginner with no experience and they give you all the tools necessary to complete your event. Yes, you have to fundraise but they help you with that too. It makes a HUGE difference to train with a group of people. Being part of Team in Training has been one of the best experiences of my life. Good for you for wanting to take on the challenge of a triathalon!!

Where do you get your podcasts from? That would rock! I have a SwimP3 and listen to music while I swim.

KatW

hi Kat . I just got my pool mp3 by nu dolphin. and i love it!!!!!!!!!!

why didnt i get one of these before!!!

I can do 50laps now front crawl and i dont get bored. Wow

all the tri's here only say you can not wear an mp3 of the cycling.

I wonder about the swim? I dont see it being a safety issue. not like you can hear anyone when your swimming anyway.

I got the arm strap for for swim p3 but found it just hooks righ t on my goggles.

I've been looking at these for a couple of months. Started a thread awhile ago. I've got 2 I'm looking at before the end of the summer. One in July, the other beginning of August. The only problem I see for me is the swimming. I've never been a long distance swimmer, more for fun. But, I plan on hitting the pool 2-3 times a week and work on it. Of course, there is a difference btwn swimming in a pool by yourself and being in open Water with a bunch of people. I figure I'll just start at the back of the pack and let the good swimmers go ahead so I don't get in their way. Then, maybe I can make up a little time in bike and run. I want to finish more than compete.

At least for now.:wink2:

I was banded in Dec. 2007. I will run a Sprint Triathlon on June 21, 2008. I am down 60+ lbs. I set a goal to run a 5k within a year of surgery. I have run 2 now. I have set a new goal... I will run a minimum of 2 Sprint Triathlons in 2008. I have always been a strong swimmer. Dad threw all the kids in the pool at 3 and taught us to swim. Swam competitively in jr high. I ran a half marathon at 15. I've been biking 40 to 50 miles per week since April. I have run 2 tris in training over the past 2 weeks on my own. I can do it competitively now. I only have 1 competition though, MYSELF! This has changed my life.

I now live by a new creedo... JFDI (Just Focus and Do It, or Just Freaking Do It). You can do it too! Just Freaking DO IT!

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finisnhed my first ever Tri. It was the sprint. so it was a 400 yard swim, 15mile bike and a 5k run. I ran the whole way..no walking.

It was amazing! I was worried my 5year old $500 mountain bike wouldnt keep up with all the $3000 road bikes. But i overtook so many of them. Its not about the bike!

UT LB Loser: Keep training!!!!! It is just such an amazing thing to do.

Congrats on your tri! You rock! Whens the next one?

Quick story- sort of related to tri. I went to my pre-op appointment the other day and the nurse in the Bariatric clinic put me on the Tanita scale to measure body fat and lean body mass to establish my Protein needs. The scale runs off of algorythms. There is a setting for Athletic and Regular. I said to the nurse,"You need to put mine on athletic." Her response was, "OOOOH, are you one of those smartasses?". I kept it in check and said,"Why yes, as a matter of fact I am, but in this case I am serious, I complete in Olympic length triathlons. She laughed like it was a joke and so I just stood there waiting. After a minute she says," Oh, you are serious!" I didn't say anything else, but it really pissed me off! Even athletic people can be fat, and I was so disapointed to experience that bias at my DOCTOR's office. Very rude and insensitive. Funny thing is, I know SHE can't do what I can.

Kat W

KAt...thats really an intersting lil story.

Thats people think about me too. YOU do Triathlons? YES I do.

I even posted my time up in the office message board in the lunch room to show other ppl you dont have to be super skinny.

ok here r my times. My T1and T2 were really high but i changed my wet socks and shoes and it was my first time so i just wanted to get it right and not worry to much about it

Swim 8mins 27s

T1 4min 53s

Bike 56min 54s

T2 4min 19s

Run 33min 08s

Total : 1hr 47min 25secs

I was basically just aiming to get under 2 hours. i was 312th out of 445.

Those are awesome splits! I am especially impressed with your run time. Even skinny I can't run for S***!

Congrats!

Kat

My last race I did

700 m- 8:15

T1- 2 M

18 M- 56 minutes

Didn't do the run- screwed up my foot.

Hubby ran 5 K in 21:23. The jerk! Even on a good day, my run would have been over 40 minutes.

Kat

Congrats on the Tri!!! 1:47 isn't too slow. As long as you finish in under 2 hours, that's pretty commendable. Heck, finishing at all is good. My bike riding and running are coming along, but I have not started to swim yet. I'm not scared of swimming, as I used to lifeguard and I still am in the ocean a lot, but I know I'd better get at least semi-serious in the next couple of weeks.

The second sprint I signed up for gave me a bit of a surprise, after I looked at the small print...the bike portion is 18 miles! That's only 33% more than I was expecting. :)