Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for a triathlon...

That sounds a bit extreme to me. Most people on the tri sites say they take a week off from working out after a tri but that's about it.

I always drive myself home after the Tris. Ok, once I didn't. I flew home in a small plane from one!!! I also do a recovery run the day after a tri of 2 to 3 miles. It is amazing how that aids the recovery process. These are very relaxed and slow runs. My coach suggested that I do them and he was right as always. They do help.

I skiied 4 days in the past 9 days. The holidays have allowed me to schedule that many ski days in. I have most of next week off too. It is a great workout!

I have signed up to do a Winter Running series in my area. It starts 2/7/09 with a 5K. 2 weeks later there is a 10K race, 3 weeks after that a 10 miler, 3 weeks later a 1/2 marathon, and 3 weeks later a 30k. This is a huge committment, but I am doing it. I set a goal to improve my run. I have made progress and this will help me continue to improve.

I have a dilemma, should I run a 5K on New Years Eve or do a midnight ski run on the mountain? The 5K would be better for my goal. Either way, I'll probably be cold at midnight!!!

Why did you choose this one? Did you get a chance to ride it before? Just wondering, as I am also looking to get a new one.

Honestly, I didn't do much research. I tried, but the choices were so overwhelming. I road a similar bike at the store to get the frame size right and looked at a bigger version of it. I liked this one because it has Shimano parts and also both forks have some carbon Fiber in them. Plus it's "entry level" and I didn't want to spend too much.

After I ordered it, I went online and looked up reviews of it. It gets really good ones and seems to be a popular entry level road bike for people who want to get serious about biking.

I hope you guys haven't give up. I am a long way from being ready for a tri but you guys are motivating. I have been riding my mountain bike a little and have my road bike on the trainer. When I get some more weight off I'll try to start running. I have a little holiday gainage to deal with but I feel like I'm back on track.

I got an indoor Tri coming up Feb 22nd. Still playing with the idea of a half Marathon. I did make it to 10miles on the treadmill in 1hr 45mins.

Nice bike btw!!! I finally bought some cycling shoes that im using in spin class. Love them. Cant wait to get some pedals and try them outside.

All kinds of new muscles aching.

Pedals and bike shoes are the way to go!!! You clip in and have so much more control. It took some getting used to, but I definitely wouldn't do without them! I took a spill on my bike shortly after getting the clips. Be very careful when you first start out. You can't just take your foot off the pedal. You have to clip out. Once you get used to it, it happens very quickly.

I'm doing an Oly tri on 6/6/09. I will also be running a Winter Racing Circuit starting in Feb. There are 5 races, 2 to 3 weeks apart. A 5K, 10K, 10 Miler, 1/2 Marathon and 30K. This is all to prepare folks to run a marathon in May. I will run the 1/2 marathon instead. My goal is to run a full by the end of August.

Good luck to everyone!

Okay, so I was talking to my SIL over the winter break and she was telling me about a friend that is doing Tri's. Well, I get curious and I want to do one. I think it would be great!

I have always been a strong swimmer, just need to get brave, put on a suit, jump in and get back in shape! Have been doing the C25K, love running again, it is my quiet time. I have to admit that I am dreading the biking. The last time I was on a bike, many years ago, I could hardly pedal up the street! That is my biggest challenge right now.

I am going to browse the thread and get some hints and tips! WTG all of you that are already in training or have competed! I admire your grit and determination!

My biggest concern is the running. I'm doing the Couch-to-5K so that should help, but I have to do it a lot more than the bike because I'm playing catch up.

I decided not to get the clip/shoe thingie for my first tri. I didn't want to deal with changing shoes and stuff. But I have a few more months to change my mind.

MacMadame~ My husband has the clip shoes. He says that once I try it I won't want to go back. He says it makes it easier, because you can lift and push.

You can lift and push with the toe clips too.

We'll see. I also need to learn my new bike and get used to the new way of shifting. Maybe once I can do that without falling off, I will be ready for clipless shoes. :thumbup: