Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the 50 something bypass patients?

Ok. So I have 1/2 of the formula. Had my gbp on 04/12. I turn 50 in June.

I had mine done in my forties but i'm still hanging in there in my fifties!!!

I am 56 but having a revision from a banded gastroplasty 25 years ago not the new band procedure and was just told best case scenario is he MAY just MAY be able to save the old upper pouch that is still too small to be anything larger than the size of a marble! I CANT EVEN IMAGINE how that works. Anybody????? Thanks

Edited by Candynorvell

Hi Everyone, I had the sleeve surgery in 2015 at 54 and it was unsuccessful. I may have lost 25 pounds and began experiencing heavy GERD and weight gain. I got very discouraged from the lack of weight Loss and the extra weight gain so I've done nothing the past 2 years relating to my weight. I'm currently 5'2 , weight 232 and 42bmi. I'm 57 and in a better mental place and considering a revision to gastric bypass. I am a little worried to go thru this again but I'm tired of the weight. Has anyone been thru this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m 57. Awaiting insurance approval for RNY; tentative date of June 11,2018. I am not 57 in my head though. LOL

So sorry yours was unsuccessful! I am awaiting my bypass on May 8th. I am 62 years young. I figure I have no life right now being so overweight. So the risks are worth it. Go for it and don’t look back!

And any,of you that want to chat with my sweet 72 year old self, look me up. I would rather lurk on Bariatric Pal than to do🏡 housework. I figure if doctors can practice💊 medicine I can practice housework, who knows there might be a wonderful breakthrough. in it, may be a floor that scrubs itself or dust that evaporates, Well it COULD HAPPEN! Most days if the police came in here they would say "there was evidence,of a struggle," only real struggle is me trying to get away!😭

What do you find most difficult about seeking Weight loss Surgery at 50 or 60 years of age? What do you find the greatest benefit waiting until this point in your life?😭

On 4/21/2018 at 7:40 AM, nurse4126 said:

I’m 57. Awaiting insurance approval for RNY; tentative date of June 11,2018. I am not 57 in my head though. LOL

That's funny I'm not 57 in my head either :):) . I guess that's why I'm willing to try this again.

23 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

What do you find most difficult about seeking Weight loss Surgery at 50 or 60 years of age?

Nothing at all.

I just spoke up to my family doctor.

23 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

What do you find the greatest benefit waiting until this point in your life?

None ... I should have done this a decade ago.

Hindsight says I tried and failed too many times via other methods.

I originally tried to qualify for Bariatric surgery twenty some years ago. At that time, the guidelines were much more stringent. In one way I am glad that I did not have it then because I think the technique has improved over time. Now it’s endoscopic, etc. and many more doctors are very experienced with it. On the other hand my biggest regret it that I didn’t have it at least ten years ago. This is not from an age point of view but from a how much more I enjoy life and being able to do stuff point of view. I had it at 57 and I did not have any complications or problems with it. Without a doubt, it’s the best thing I have ever had done!

On 4/19/2018 at 6:07 PM, newlady1 said:

Hi Everyone, I had the sleeve surgery in 2015 at 54 and it was unsuccessful. I may have lost 25 pounds and began experiencing heavy GERD and weight gain. I got very discouraged from the lack of weight Loss and the extra weight gain so I've done nothing the past 2 years relating to my weight. I'm currently 5'2 , weight 232 and 42bmi. I'm 57 and in a better mental place and considering a revision to gastric bypass. I am a little worried to go thru this again but I'm tired of the weight. Has anyone been thru this?

lots of people. me from the band. but same symptoms. GERD is a common sleeve complication as it is a band complication. revised to rny

Thanks it's good to hear that the road I'm on is the best one and the RNY should be my last procedure to finally accomplish my desired weight without the constant GERD condition.

My story has taken a positive twist. We
dnesday Aprilb25 2018.,]+Dr douglas Kramer staff psychologist at Martha Morehouse Pavilion in Columbus Ohio more than passed me clearly to move on towards surgery The next step will be a final stop at the Victory Bench. Then the gauge will be changed to a wider one, one I can travel on for the rest of my life. I fear neither train for thewill transport me to where I need to go and am ready, so ready, for both trips. Still I do need to meet my case manager, dietician and nurse practitioner May 25th, then final steps will be date assignment maybe meet my surgeon ? I have done so much already, know which surgery I am requesting, made my mind up about it a long time ago, no fear, no reservations, no anxiety in my ❤heart just an overwhelming desire to have completion.😝

I'm in my mid-50s, so I suppose I should comment here. <grin>

I had RnY on October 27, 2016, and in that time have gone from 283 pounds to my current 158 pounds. My highest weight was 300 pounds. My goal is 125, and I'm continuing to work hard at getting there, even though at 18 months out, the honeymoon period is over.

My most recent blood tests came back showing that I am no longer pre-diabetic, which has me elated and completely over the moon. The entire battery of tests were pretty much the polar opposite of my pre-surgery tests, and that is so completely heartening, it's amazing.

My Migraines and fibromyalgia are still here, but not having to haul around more than another person's "healthy" weight in addition to all that has done wonders for my back, hips, knees and feet. This last year, I was able to actually walk the San Diego ComicCon floor over the course of four long days without having to stop to rest all the time.

Keep in mind that the previous two years, I'd had to use a scooter, as the walk was debilitating as hell.

Anyhow, I currently live in Pomona, CA, but I'd like to find other bariatric patients to chat with in the real world during the week in the downtown Los Angeles area.

Probably a longer post than anyone expected, but I'm a writer, and the Muse must have awakened while I was responding to this post.