Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the 50 something bypass patients?

7 hours ago, Gingerrose said:

Hi I had my RNY surgery in September and I’m very happy I did it.

Ditto ... my gastric sleeving was 12th Oct ... so pleased I made this choice.

Life-changing.

I’m no longer obese and no longer on diabetes and high blood pressure meds.

I'm still obese but shrinking well ... although it will get harder from this point.

My general medications have gone from 50mg daily to 10mg.

My hypertension (BP) meds are down from 40mg (two 20mg doses) to 2.5mg (one small half-dose) with the prospect of being on nil blood pressure meds by Easter (or not long after)!

I’ve lost nearly 80 pounds since Pre -op diet and feel much better about myself.

This last eight months (17th July to 17th March) has seen me lose nearly 42kg (93 pounds).

My BMI is down from 50+ to low 40s.

I exercise 3.5 to 4.5 hours per day, on at least 28 days per month (since Nov 17th).

My body fat is down from 47.5% to 35.3% thanks to exercise and high Protein diet.

Hope you all are doing well.

I think so. I wish it were better/faster but I can't be more proud of where I've come from and where I've got to. I may well have cheated an early death with surgical intervention and some personal hard work.

Thanks go to my GP for supporting my decision and encouraging me. He and my wife have backed my every decision for three years.

9 hours ago, biddynz said:

Anonymous pics - the top one is as at 230lbs. The bottom one - this morning.

Stunning progress ... well done!

13 weeks post op. hair falling out by the boat load! My 3 month check is the 28th of this month. I feel really good. Down 63-lbs. total. Lost 2-lbs. on vacation. Hope you’re all doing well!

Hello :)

I see lots of sleevers here, where are the RNY folks?

RNYer right here. :)

Hey Ms. Fluff :) seems like you have been around this site for awhile, do you know of any strong support groups, buddies, accountability partners, etc. for RNY folks our age online?

On 8/20/2015 at 9:33 PM, choosehope said:

I constantly run into Sleevers in their 50s and 60s but I would love to get to know some of you who are bypassers. Seems our life experiences and potential difficulties may make us good support for each other! (You know, little things like menopause, arthritis, etc...). Please come out of "hiding" and gather here. I need to see yall in action! And would love to support you as well!

Hello 50 something friends , I’m 51 and likely to have my surgery in early summer , I have decided to have the sleeve , I am currently pre menopausal and I do have some concerns about possible changes with my mood , I have depression and I am currently on a good med mix , Im hoping my mood remains stable , but I am also being realistic that my mood may decline , and optimistic that the mood decline will be temporary.since tarting much classes I’ve lost some weight and I feel really good , I know the best is yet to come

I'm 2 weeks out tomorrow, and I am more tired than I expected. I am sleeping about 10 hours a day -- 8 overnight, plus a 2 hour nap. What I am saying is plan to give yourself a little extra time to rebound than the young folks getting surgery. B)

Edited by Apple203

Hello everyone! I’m 53 and I had my bypass 3/19/18. HW: 245, CW: 229.2, weight day of surgery 237. The struggle is real but so worth it. A chance for a full life. No regrets!

Hi selizday, welcome, enjoy hearing more of your story whenever you feel like talking. We have a lot of ladies our age (above 50) on here and also some Silver Fox dudes, I must have taken a stupid pill, never reasoned out there might be guys also seeking surgery. I'm glad I was wrong, they are as nice as us girls and have good viewpoints also. It would be hard to tell you which one's advice helped most because they have all helped at one time or another.

We all come from different places with different life experiences but we are united to help others here. I hope you'll feel at home with us and stay awhile.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi everyone!

I had RNY October 10th 2017. I'm doing very well. I am trying to eat low carb and under 1000 calories a day. I am also doing intermittent fasting for health reasons. I journal everyday. That really seems to keep me in check.

Glad to see everyone here.

Di

Well, well. I fell like I'm talking to a bunch of rookies,in some ways, LOL. I just turned 50, it seems but I'm 10 years post op for a RNY. I need your young at heart and mind optimism. I am gaining. All of you sound so young, yet wise in your posts. I feel lost right now. All of you sound grounded and I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong and how do I get back to where I was. I am so happy for those of you starting your journey. It seems I have come full circle and did not overcome or deal with all my psychological demons. My bypass is just a tool not a do it for me catch all. Yes, the arthritis will get better and movement will become easier. Watch how the release of hormones in the stored fat will make you fell some kind of way. We have an increased risk for Migraines, hair and dental problems, as well as absorption issues. I am also being hit with menopausal issues. Each body is different and you know you better than anyone else. For activity, walking, stationary bike, and Water aerobics are a great way to go especially for those joints. It is important to add weights for muscle strength. Oh, love the note about the shoes, wasn't prepared for my shoe size to drop. I'm glad I found you. I started at 400+, got down to 204 and am back up to 277. I have a 26 yr old and a 7 yr old and have to get back to a happier healthier me. My son is special needs and I think with an on-line support system I might be able to get back on track. Who knows, maybe some of you are close enough to meet up. I wish all of you the best possible success and God's blessing.

On 27/03/2018 at 8:38 AM, zsnaani said:

I see lots of sleevers here, where are the RNY folks?

You are in the gastric sleeve forums area. (See the GS avatar/symbol in the corner).

You need to head to the other appropriate forums.

Go to the main page ... here = https://www.bariatricpal.com

Then click on the upper-case word FORUMS ... and, lo and behold, a menu opens with six or more choices of surgery types.

I hope you end up in the right place soon!

1 hour ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

You are in the gastric sleeve forums area. (See the GS avatar/symbol in the corner).

You need to head to the other appropriate forums.

Go to the main page ... here = https://www.bariatricpal.com

Then click on the upper-case word FORUMS ... and, lo and behold, a menu opens with six or more choices of surgery types.

I hope you end up in the right place soon!

This is the bypass section.