Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the 50 something bypass patients?

jrmoseley

Have you tried swimming? I swim 5 days a week at my YMCA. Swimming uses every muscle in your body. Low to no impact and age or skill does not apply! I wear a real swim suit, not a bathing suit, there is a big difference. Also I wear swim capris to cover my legs (personal choice) my thighs look like cottage cheese :-(

Also my doctor said I can take Tylenol for pain.

My GBP was Dec. 14th 2017. Just got back in the pool this morning. Boy did that feel good :-)

I'm down 23-lbs. as of this morning. Down 39 total since I started this process. Boy will I be glad to be down 65-lbs. like you!

Oh by the way, if you don't swim, our YMCA has a warm Water pool strictly for exercising. (Head never gets wet)

Good luck, keep up the hard work!

insul817

Good suggestion! that was my go-to exercise pre-surgery. Unfortunately, out local Y is in transition as a new building goes up this year, and the only gym in town with a pool is simply too expensive. I'm looking forward to the new pool later this year, but I'm not sure that even if it was open now, I'd make it there very often. It's simply too hard and often dangerous to get there on cold icy days.

I've tried tylenol on occasion, but it just isn't very effective on this joint pain. So far ice and heat seem to be my best options. I have steroid injections a couple times a year, and that helps for a few weeks. I think getting the rest of the weight off these poor abused bones will help most of all!

Keep putting one foot in front of the other, and before you know it, you'll be looking back at the toughest part of the journey! Good luck to you also!

I know what you mean, it 45 below zero wind chill here this morning! The only thing that got me motivated to swim, is the hot tub afterwards! It's my non-food reward for exercising ;-)

I am 60 and had my RNY bypass in December. Doing pretty good so far.

On 16/01/2018 at 4:57 AM, jrmoseley said:

but pain still limits my movements

My suggestion is "Get to your local swimming centre" ... preferably an indoor one with year-round facilities.

Swimming takes away over 90% of the pressure on joints and the risk of exacerbating arthritic problems.

I try to live on 1100 calories per day (15 weeks post-op) and to swim for two hours or more daily.

It works.

My exercise physiologist says that, of the last 30 kg (67 pounds) I lost, 27.5kg (61 pounds) was internal body fat.

Swimming was my saviour after painful work in a 'normal' gym.

To the OP, I am about to turn 62 and had WLS 15 weeks ago. (Thursday, Oct 12, 2017)

Generally speaking, what difficulties do you think we face having WLS at this age? If these pertain to you personally, what has been your solution?

Hi Ladies! I’m 53 and I had my RNY on 12-1-09. I think I lost the majority of my weight the first 6 months, then it slowed down. As I near my 9 year anniversary, I have kept off my 150+ pound weight loss and even weigh a few pounds less now. I have no more medical issues related to obesity and yes I have some saggy skin, but not horrible.

The biggest advantage for myself to being older when doing this is sticking to the rules and changing the bad habits into good ones. I used the tool to change how and what I ate daily. I still eat very little.

The biggest challenge was and still is, not getting enough Protein in. As it is very difficult to eat meat, I struggle this far out and have lost lots of muscle mass. I also quit taking my Vitamins and I do have issues with not having enough Iron and Vitamin D and other vitamins.

I had several difficulties in the beginning, but I would never change any of it!

Its nice meeting each of y’all and may y’all have much success on your journey!

68 years old here - had my gastric bypass 25 years ago (yes). Besides almost dying from a fistula (leak) which caused widespread infection in my body, after spending 3 weeks In ICU, my children being told to say goodbye to me because I wouldn't live, I DID LIVE!! I knew that God would let me live. I was 355 and got down to 182. I am almost 6' tall, so that was a good weight for me. I am now around 195 and I am okay with that. My biggest issue is the GAS from the foods I eat. It is so embarrassing! I do have arthritis in my spine, knees, neck, etc., because I carried that huge body around for so many years. I deal with it the best I can. Good to see everyone on here!

@[mention=254311]choosehope[/mention] Yay - ladies my age! I'll turn 54 next month. I had bypass 4/21/15 and had my 5 month anniversary this past Monday. I took pics and will share them with y'all. As hard as it was to take those "before" pics, I'm so glad I did. I took pics in three different outfits. I took them again at 3 months and now at 5 since I hit a personal goal of "75 lbs" lost. I can't believe how that once tight 3X now hangs on me. It was my son's suggestion to hold my shirt out to show the difference. The black outfit is a size "L". Haven't been in regular size clothes in years. I have hit stalls along the way after my surgery but have upped my Protein to average an of 125 grams, keeping within my 850 calorie goal, so that seems to be doing the trick. I've been battling obesity for 30+ years so I will take my success and be happy with it as I feel blessed to have had this life changing operation. It's my second chance at life and I will NOT squander it!!!
HW: 285 lbs
SW: 257 lbs
CW: 181 lbs
post-236324-0-41898500-1443044887_thumb.jpg
post-236324-0-85062700-1443044906_thumb.jpg
post-236324-0-97836600-1443044913_thumb.jpg

Can you give me an example of your daily menu? I struggle with balancing getting enough Protein without overdoing calories (April 2018 surgery)

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my by bypass the day after my 59th birthday, Dec 2017. I wish I had it 10 years ago, but I’m happy now that I did it. My daughter calls me the incredible shrinking woman. I love seeing a one on my weight after having a two for so many years. I’m about 40 pounds down and to reach my goal I have another 45 to 50 to go. Good luck to us all!

Edited by pollymatin

Hello to everyone here.

I'll be 58 this year..where did the time go!

Just coming up to 2 years waiting for my first consult so maybe a bit early to join, but impressed with all the write ups, thought I'd start off anyway.

Obviously worried about surgery and complications but it seems that most people do really well after these. I hope I will be able to say the same.

I have lost and gained and lost and gained so many times..and I didn't even realize this was something I should seriously look at until my gynecologist suggested it. Now have oesteo in both knees..go figure.

Looking forward to following the progress of new patients and the success of those who are now post-op.

:)