Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the 50 something bypass patients?

1 hour ago, maceyup67 said:

I’m going to be 51 soon. I can’t wait to feel better and move like I want to. I have been diabetic for years and never have been under control. Can’t wait to be rid of it.

I was a diabetic for 11 years, so happy that I am no longer diabetic. My high blood pressure is gone now too, my RNY was best thing I have ever done for myself!

54 with gastric sleeve 5 years ago! Still at 145 lbs. doing yoga the past few years has been amazing! Kayaking and even doing some standup paddle boarding! The freedom is the best! So worth it!

I'm All,over other portions of Bariatric Pal but I'm older than all of you and I'm still going thru with RnY. I'm 72 on December 26th, wish I'd started the process sooner but we come to,it when we come to it, best wishes to all. I should be Feb-March 2018.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Ladies, I am 53 and had my Gastric Bypass on 12-1-09 when I was 45. It was the best decision of my life. I have always followed the rules. Not eating and drinking at the same time, I never finish a meal, I do my best to eat healthy foods over anything else. I don’t eat sweets and only drink Water. Maybe once a year I have a coke. But not often. I do have the saggy skin, but I don’t mind it since I am 170 pounds smaller and have managed to keep it off. I am always open to talking to anyone who wants advice on how I have managed to keep it off for 8 years. I never want to go back to that person I was before. So I stay focused on what I eat and how much I eat. You can succeed, it had to be a lifestyle change. It’s not easy, but it is possible! Make your mind up to do this for yourself! I still don’t see myself as “skinny” even though im much smaller. It’s a mental battle. But I love my life and have no regrets! CEA5E5CD-3E5F-403E-BF67-FB45F4B4A979.thumb.jpeg.1c5ac24f5c2066fa310207b58e2bd189.jpeg

Hi everyone! I had my lapband to bypass revision surgery when I was 59. Best thing I've done.

Edited by BrenJean

I had a lap band removed early December and now have a gastric bi-pass on 8th February. The band had done some damage after 7years and the doctor wanted me to wait till my stomach wall had repaired itself, trying to be patient. The weird thing, doctor warned me this was a possibility

I am 66 and am scheduled for a bypass on Feb 21st. I currently have a lap band. I did loose about50 pounds with the band but it was not nearly enough. I have been having a lot of trouble with PBing and heartburn without the benefit of eight loss. So... am I the oldest on this list?

Nope that would be me, red-headed pre rny and 72 on December 26th. 7/8ths completed,on requirements. waiting for surgeon and insurance to to say it's time. Wish now I'd done it younger but I hadn't had my "come to Jesus" moment about living so large, tired and out of breath. Figured I was doomed to die this way but no there is hope for me and I find I want to hang around and watch this crazy world keep turning.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

56 here ... scheduled January 29th and I cannot wait :)

Deb Maynard
My Journey Began April 2017

56 years old, had RNY on Sept 19, 2017. I've lost 65 lbs, and have thrown away the blood pressure meds and the Prilosec. I feel a lot better, and have a hard time believing that a year ago, I was carrying around an extra 65 lbs on my frame! No wonder I felt so lousy.

But even though I feel a lot better, I still have a ways to go. I still have about 80 pounds to lose in order to get to normal BMI. And I have severe arthritis in my SI joint (the joint in your pelvis that expands and flexes to let you walk and bend) and some major foot problems. With every pound lost, it gets better, but pain still limits my movements. This has been a brutal winter with temperatures in the -20s for weeks at a time. That is not helpful!! There are days (like today) when I work from my home office with a heating pad at my hip and a hot drink at my side. I'll have to take a nap just to get the pressure off my joints and recuperate from pain a little.

I'm open to suggestions for coping with pain when we can't take NSAIDS.