Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the 50 something bypass patients?

Hello! Iam 12yrs post op gastric bypass surgery at 58yrs young! My advice to avoid bowel problems is to stay away from sugar, sweet dairy products and fried foods!! Drink plenty of Water or green tea, hot or cold throughout the day. Make sure you eat enough proteinto a least equal 60 grams daily and eat at least 3 quality meals daily. Try to eat something within 1 hr. after getting up in the AM. I 've always had problematic anemia, so I try to eat a good rounded diet. I know if I follow this advise I share with you,I would not struggle with the dreaded dumping syndrome or live my life now around bowel issues which I pretty much create and struggle with weekly,Choosing to eat good foods post BS gastric bypass surgery Is very important for bowel health! My bowel problem is ............. I belive that my colon never emptys fully. However it is not diarrhea but not solid either. I deal with seepage quite often. soif you feel you have to go, go as soon as you feel it. If any one has any different advise on this, please reply Hope all is well with you and your journey simplifies life with healthy healing! I also state, I use Miralax to no avail. lol Be strong and stay wise!!!! pre op GBS weight 311lbs today at 235 and bounce that 5lb loss/gain monthly. But I consider myself lucky to have not gained anymore.I am consciencely aware it could happen too easily, so that helps! xxoo

I am 53. I had the bypass June 15th. I feel so much better now than I have in 25 years.

@@zsnaani your story really touched me. We are close in surgery date and age. My RNY was on 07/29/15 and I'm 54.

I'm sorry to hear about your best friend not being there for you. I lost my best friend too, but it was to cancer.

I'm also disheartened to hear about your growth children's lack of support as well. No wonder you feel lonely. You have every right. This is a difficult journey even when all the cards stack up right.

If you ever need someone to talk to just send me a message. I'm a good listener. ????

Best of luck!

Edited by The Post Op

@, ty so much!!! I made you my friend and I will be checking in soon, have a wonderful day. :-)

55 revised to bypass from lap band 10/26/15! Regret the lap band everyday and all the problems it caused including necessity of removal and revision to bypass! Was banded in 2010, and the Dr. Left to start practice in another state shortly after. I was left with no one to take care of my questions, concerns and problems. I suffered in hell, i threw up everytime I ate, had to eat around band to get nutrition. Finally 5 years later after a flare up in front of a new pcp, they thought I was having a heart attack in dr office. Took a ambulance ride and 3 days in ecu doing tests, found out lap band slipped up into esophagus, and was eroded in as well. Port had also turned. There was a ton of scar tissue to remove and the supposedly empty band had 11 cc's in it making that a real pain to remove. And just to show how much fun I had, the last 1/2 hour before I was released from hospital a nurse came in and gave me a shot in each arm, then explained to me it was a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. In the pre surgical prep I had declined these shots because I get sick from them. Anyway, the trip home from hospital is 45 minutes. Not halfway home I got ill, developed a fever. By the time I got home to bed it was 103.5. Called Dr., put ice packs all over to get temp down. As soon as ice came off, temp would go up again. Ice and Tylenol for a week. I'm now 6 weeks post surgery, just finally getting to gym to start exercising, and eating soft foods. I blame all of it on the lap band Dr.! But, I am trying to look at this better and hope the outcome works out well. Am sure I will need lots of support and counseling as well to forgive and move on. I will admit I have lost 45 plus pounds and can really notice difference. Especially tying my shoes!

How do you feel?

Hello my fellow fabulous fifties friends! (who doesn't love an alliteration?)

I'm 55 and just had my RNY surgery on November 30, 21015. I'm still in the healing phase and choking down my liquids, but I'm looking forward to seeing the results that I'm reading about. A little nervous about the sagging, If I have to be honest. I've always looked a little younger than my 50's counterparts because of the wrinkle-reducing fluff, after weight loss - not so much. So, we'll see what that brings.

Hi everyone, I'm glad I found this forum! I am 55 and scheduled to have RNY on 1/6/15. I am very excited and nervous. My doctor says I'm healthy and strong and that this is a great move. I am type 2 diabetic but expect remission for that. I think I got here the same way that many of you did -- realizing that before long, my health was going to be unbearable. My back hurts. My knees hurt. And I couldn't seem to do anything about it. I was going to cut my life short if I didn't do anything. I actually feel like this decision has helped me take control of my life back.

My husband and my kids are very supportive, although a little nervous.

@zsnaani Your story made me sad. If you need anyone to talk to, although I'm a newb, I'd be glad to listen. I added you as a friend

My pre-op diet starts the day before Christmas! Wish me luck!

@@ReneK, thanks for simply caring! I am still struggling a bit emotionally but getting better. I so wish you well during your pre surgery prep. Please drop me a note regarding your progress. I was just in your shoes a few months ago. I am here to chat anytime! :-)

hello to all.

I'm 55 yrs old and had bypass june 17, 2013. 1 lost 144 lbs. and went from size 24 pants to size 12. 3x tee shirts to a medium. I love my journey to healthiness. All the back, neck, shoulder, hip pain and restless legs still here. My doctor told me if I loose weight the pain would go away. Ya right!!!! I make the best of what I got to work with. Have a great day.... :)

Those pains never really go away...

Those pains never really go away...:-)

As pinkgirl1234 said - the pain doesn't go away. Arthritis lives in me no matter what I weigh! The weight loss and diet changes help with the control of the pain though

Soon it's 2016 and next year I'll be 56. Almost three years out, Feb 2016 will be 3 years post op for RNY. I am still below goal.... my choice. Pains are a way of letting us know we live and we still feel and some times we just need to see the doctor. Some time that's as good as it gets. I try to search alternative food types including adding different nutrients that help with physical pain, exercises, and meditation types, and don't for get your daily Bariatric style Vitamins. Most of the things I've tried help, but there is no perfect solution and no perfect remedy.

WLS; this is a tool not a fix it or a one step solution to obesity morbid or otherwise. It's here to help us mange and improve our lives with the best that we can. Remember to read your food labels, check out the ingredients you're eating and drinking... some of those things can aggravate your condition or have been causing you extra pain with out knowing it because of what's in the recipe and used to make it. Best wishes and feel better soon.

51 & having band to sleeve conversion TODAY!!!!!!

Hi everyone, I'm 56 and had my bypass 12/2/15. Feeling great so far and looking forward to shaving with ease. Breathing too for that matter. :unsure: