Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK forum users

Hi all - after two cancelled surgeries earlier this year, I'm now three days away from my gastric sleeve appointment!
I've needed to stay away from this board whilst waiting as I was thinking 'what if...' far too much, but it's been great catching up with all the posts and seeing how supportive and helpful everyone is to each other.
[mention=404553]Nikki@50[/mention] Hope your surgery went ok and that recovery hasn't been too tough so far?
I'm a mixture of nerves and excitement; one good thing about the delay is that I feel more confident than ever in my decision to take this step. I've been doing some work with a psychologist for a few months about emotional eating and I feel stronger and more confident than I have in a long while.
Look forward to continue reading about your experiences, and I'm sure I'll be asking loads of questions over the coming weeks and months xx
@Woodstock23 Hi , I'm not too bad thank you. My surgery went well but I'll be honest it's been a tough journey for me so far. I'm now nearly 8 weeks post op and the smell of meat of any kind revolts me. I'm struggling to eat more than a few teaspoons of food and am no where near my Protein and Water consumption that I should be yet! But saying all that, I know things will get better with time and I do not regret surgery. I have already lost 34lb, I haven't been this weight since I was 23 and I'm 50 this year! My surgeon has told me that I have responded extremely well to the surgery and that the change in my hormones has caused the extreme sensitivity to the taste and smells of meat Proteins. Would love any tips you can give me on emotional eating. I still find myself reaching for food and then feel disappointed when I can't have it. I'm trying to distract myself but sometimes I just go to bed to avoid the emotions, which I know isn't ideal. Ask as many questions as you want, I'm more then happy to support you in anyway I can. Good luck for your surgery , it's the beginning of a new you x

Sent from my SM-G980F using BariatricPal mobile app

Well I finally get weighed this afternoon from the end of November so will let you know what happens later glad you are feeling better try some vegetarian options they might be better also look on pintrest just type in biatric foods there's loads of recipes on their website

On 5/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, Nikki@50 said:

@Woodstock23 Hi , I'm not too bad thank you. My surgery went well but I'll be honest it's been a tough journey for me so far. I'm now nearly 8 weeks post op and the smell of meat of any kind revolts me. I'm struggling to eat more than a few teaspoons of food and am no where near my Protein and Water consumption that I should be yet! But saying all that, I know things will get better with time and I do not regret surgery. I have already lost 34lb, I haven't been this weight since I was 23 and I'm 50 this year! My surgeon has told me that I have responded extremely well to the surgery and that the change in my hormones has caused the extreme sensitivity to the taste and smells of meat Proteins. Would love any tips you can give me on emotional eating. I still find myself reaching for food and then feel disappointed when I can't have it. I'm trying to distract myself but sometimes I just go to bed to avoid the emotions, which I know isn't ideal. Ask as many questions as you want, I'm more then happy to support you in anyway I can. Good luck for your surgery , it's the beginning of a new you x

@Nikki@50 - so sorry to hear that you've had a tough few weeks, but well done for staying positive, and also congratulations on a 34lb loss, that's phenomenal!!

One of the things I worked on with my psychologist was keeping a food diary, but as well as noting down what I ate (or what I thought about eating but didn't) I had to note where I was physically (turns out I do a lot of my emotional eating standing up in the kitchen!) and how I was feeling at the time. By doing this we managed to identify some of my triggers and, as well as coming up with other things I could do until the emotions passed, it's also helped me to get ahead of the emotions a bit when I can see them coming, This article describes it better than I have! https://www.helpguide.org/articles/diets/emotional-eating.htm

I appreciate it'll be trickier to do the food diary stuff following surgery, but maybe tracking emotions and thoughts when you do have those impulses might help?

Thanks for the offer of support - I'm sure I'll have loads of questions over the next few weeks. Surgery is tomorrow and I'm a mixture of excitement and anxiety with full on butterflies in my stomach! Trying to keep myself occupied with working today, but clearly that's not working as I'm on this forum ;-)

Keep finding the positives (34lb!!!!!!!) and hope that you can get the Water and Protein consumption up a little bit this week. One step at a time xxx

[mention=404553]Nikki@50[/mention] - so sorry to hear that you've had a tough few weeks, but well done for staying positive, and also congratulations on a 34lb loss, that's phenomenal!!

One of the things I worked on with my psychologist was keeping a food diary, but as well as noting down what I ate (or what I thought about eating but didn't) I had to note where I was physically (turns out I do a lot of my emotional eating standing up in the kitchen!) and how I was feeling at the time. By doing this we managed to identify some of my triggers and, as well as coming up with other things I could do until the emotions passed, it's also helped me to get ahead of the emotions a bit when I can see them coming, This article describes it better than I have! https://www.helpguide.org/articles/diets/emotional-eating.htm
I appreciate it'll be trickier to do the food diary stuff following surgery, but maybe tracking emotions and thoughts when you do have those impulses might help?

Thanks for the offer of support - I'm sure I'll have loads of questions over the next few weeks. Surgery is tomorrow and I'm a mixture of excitement and anxiety with full on butterflies in my stomach! Trying to keep myself occupied with working today, but clearly that's not working as I'm on this forum ;-)

Keep finding the positives (34lb!!!!!!!) and hope that you can get the Water and Protein consumption up a little bit this week. One step at a time xxx

Thank you for those fantastic ideas, I'm definitely going to try them.[emoji16]

I spoke with my dietitian yesterday and he wants me to stop focusing on Protein and to eat more carbs! He said that I need to listen to my body and that it clearly can't tolerate protein at the moment. He also said that it's not a lack of protein that will cause me to lose some hair, it's the weightloss that triggers it! He has patients that have excellent nutrition and protein consumption and they lose some hair! Everything online says the opposite though [emoji85].

Wishing you all the luck in the world for your surgery [emoji3059]. When you feel well enough, let me know how you are, sending you a huggle x

On 5/18/2022 at 10:56 AM, Nikki@50 said:

Thank you for those fantastic ideas, I'm definitely going to try them.

I spoke with my dietitian yesterday and he wants me to stop focusing on Protein and to eat more carbs! He said that I need to listen to my body and that it clearly can't tolerate Protein at the moment. He also said that it's not a lack of protein that will cause me to lose some hair, it's the weightloss that triggers it! He has patients that have excellent nutrition and protein consumption and they lose some hair! Everything online says the opposite though .

Wishing you all the luck in the world for your surgery . When you feel well enough, let me know how you are, sending you a huggle x

Hey @Nikki@50 - delighted to say that surgery went ahead as scheduled on the 19th! I got home on the 21st and recovery seems to be going ok so far!

I’m getting a good amount of fluids in, along with some thinned down protein yoghurt and thin Soup but am craving more savoury options - cream of chicken soup has been surprisingly awesome but if you have any ideas for other thin savoury liquids I’d love to hear them!

How’re you getting on with trying to up the carbs? Hope that’s helping with things?

Hey [mention=404553]Nikki@50[/mention] - delighted to say that surgery went ahead as scheduled on the 19th! I got home on the 21st and recovery seems to be going ok so far!
I’m getting a good amount of fluids in, along with some thinned down Protein yoghurt and thin Soup but am craving more savoury options - cream of chicken Soup has been surprisingly awesome but if you have any ideas for other thin savoury liquids I’d love to hear them!
How’re you getting on with trying to up the carbs? Hope that’s helping with things?
@Woodstock23 Whoop whoop sooo pleased for you [emoji3059]. To be honest I wasn't very adventurous during the liquid phase. Tomato Soup and chicken soup were a favourite and milky coffee. I know some people enjoy bullion and Bone Broth but the smell repulsed me so much I couldn't drink it. I did enjoy sucking sugarfree mints and melting quavers on my tongue [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]. Eating carbs has given me slightly more energy but I'm still struggling to eat a great deal. I'm not going to moan though because I choose to do this to myself and hopefully I'll get to a better place. Make sure you pamper yourself and take all the time you need to heal. Xxx

Hi all - I’m considering buying a bariatric recipe book, wondered if anyone had any recommendations? Thanks!

Before you buy a book look on Pintrest there's loads of recipes on there site just type biatric recipes and it will come up with different options and some really good recipes

11 hours ago, Woodstock23 said:

Hi all - I’m considering buying a bariatric recipe book, wondered if anyone had any recommendations? Thanks!

I bought one but its all in American measures and takes ages to convert. I have never used it. A complete waste of money

So I’ve been looking into self funding bariatric surgery so I’m healthier and can go ahead with fertility treatment. I previously had a band when I was 19 in Belgium which failed massively. I paid to have it removed in the UK 2 year later at the spire.I was looking into the Spire Washington.

it was really painful when I had the band fitted, I’m really nervous for how painful it’ll be going through surgery. I’m also vegetarian, has anybody went through with surgery who is vegetarian? Where do you get your Protein ect from?

food has been my coping mechanism through life to deal with my trauma, and I know my relationship with food with completely change forever which is fine, but what I am nervous for is still being able to eat out occasionally. What is the average portion size for example a year after surgery? What kind of alcohol do people drink and how many drinks are they able to have?

i also guzzle Water and this is my BIGGEST concern of not being able to guzzle it and quench my thirst properly.

11 hours ago, Nica95 said:

So I’ve been looking into self funding bariatric surgery so I’m healthier and can go ahead with fertility treatment. I previously had a band when I was 19 in Belgium which failed massively. I paid to have it removed in the UK 2 year later at the spire.I was looking into the Spire Washington.

it was really painful when I had the band fitted, I’m really nervous for how painful it’ll be going through surgery. I’m also vegetarian, has anybody went through with surgery who is vegetarian? Where do you get your Protein ect from?

food has been my coping mechanism through life to deal with my trauma, and I know my relationship with food with completely change forever which is fine, but what I am nervous for is still being able to eat out occasionally. What is the average portion size for example a year after surgery? What kind of alcohol do people drink and how many drinks are they able to have?

i also guzzle Water and this is my BIGGEST concern of not being able to guzzle it and quench my thirst properly.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery at my local Spire hospital. I had no pain.

It was a friends birthday yesterday and I took her out for lunch. We chose a sharing platter, TBH I was full very quickly and just chatted while she ate. I have got used to this now and so have my friends. I believe that at about 1 year things are easier and you are able to eat more. Or as much as a thin person would eat at any rate. In America they are warned away from drinking. I was told to be careful as I would get drunk quickly, The alcohol gets into your bloodstream quicker. I am not the biggest drinker these days but I have had some. Its a bit like having your first drink again. I was tipsy quite quick after a Bloody Mary. My calories are around 700 to 900 a day so not enough to soak up much alcohol.

Some struggle to drink enough, I did. At 3 months, I could gulp a mouthful of any drink again but I still cant guzzle a bottle of Water. I dont remember being thirsty but it is a pain to constantly keep sipping

13 hours ago, Nica95 said:

Hi. I had my surgery at the Washington Spire in April and I’ve never once regretted it.

As above, I didn’t experience any pain. The nausea is difficult for the first few days, but it soon passed.

I’m not a massive meat eater and typically get my Protein through things like lentils and other pulses, cottage cheese, yoghurts etc.

In all honesty I now have no interest in food, previously it was my crutch if I was feeling down, or a reward for when something was good. Now eating is just something I need to do.

I eat out but I’m careful and will order a starter or a kids portion. I eat most foods in moderation and don’t seem to have an adverse reaction to anything. I get full really quickly and tend to push the food around my plate whilst I’m waiting for others to finish. I didn’t tell anyone other than my husband and parents that I’ve had the surgery so when friends ask I’ll say ‘oh I’m on a diet’ or ‘I’m doing keto’ and because they’ve known me dieting for so long they just accept it.
I’ve avoided all alcohol to date - again I just say I’m on antibiotics or something along those lines to stop any questions.

I struggle with my Fluid intake but gradually it’s getting better. The sips get bigger but I don’t think I’d dare guzzle. My body tells me when something isn’t right - when I’m getting full I get ‘burpy’ and my stomach starts making noises.

I took the package at the spire when I had a session with the dietician before and after the surgery so if your worried about what you can eat I’d say it’s worthwhile.

good luck

On 4/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, Jenny79 said:

I’m booked for sleeve surgery in Turkey in October, so I’ve a long wait. I’m moving house in August so need to get that done first. Anyone else been to Turkey? I’m not overly worried about going to Turkey just the travel home and how il be after anaesthetic. I tend to be weepy and depressed after it.

Hi, Jenny. How was the surgery? I’m going to Turkey for mine at the end of September & a little nervous about it.

Hello All.

Can I introduce myself. I’m Paul and exactly 4 weeks post gastric sleeve surgery.

I’ve been trying to lose weigh all my adult life with varying degrees of success. All ultimately fruitless. There’s very few I haven’t attempted and I was desperate by the time I agreed to surgery. Although a various times I’ve topped 30 stone I was always able to cope with the excess weight. Not so these last few years and severe arthritis in my worn out knees has forced the issue. To get them replaced I have to be lighter. And hopefully ALM will be in less pain and I can move about easier.

I was deeply ashamed about having to go down the path of surgery. I’ve loathed my size all my life and it’s had a profoundly negative effect on both my career and personal life. I was a fairly decent footballer in my time (hence the knackered knees) but undoubtedly the excess weight I carried in my younger years, whilst nowhere near as extreme, hindered my performance and damaged my self esteem.

I first joined the NHS bariatric programme in late 2015 after encouragement from my GP but I promptly lost 7 stone and decided it wasn’t for me. Life, as always, got in the way and all that weight went back on by 2018\19 after I was made redundant and lost the plot. I was fortunate to get put back on the programme in 2019 and despite the hiatus of the Pandemic got invited to meet the surgeons in January this year.

Can’t say I didn’t have my doubts as the date of surgery to nearer but I knew I was probably on my last chance should I walk away.

The liver shrinking diet was extremely easy I felt. I stopped any form of alcohol a month before my date of surgery and I’m feeling OK now. I’ve had a couple of incidents of the foamies and have been sick twice trying to progress to purée/soft food. I’ve put that down to eating too quickly and perhaps slightly too much despite my efforts at not doing either.

I find I hard to eat the 800 calories a day target I’ve been told to meet, and sufficient Protein but I’m working on it.

One thing that I do seem to be unusual for reading through this thread. I haven’t weighed myself since the day of the operation. Am I wrong not to do so? I can feel previously tight clothes getting baggy. My view is this is a marathon and not a sprint now and why torture myself if I can see a plateau going on for a couple of weeks.

Nice to meet you all.

Hi Paul I never weigh myself sometimes it gets obsessive and depressing I've been weighed 3 times since surgery August 2021 twice by the Dietician and once at the doctors its up to you what your preference is sometimes people weigh there self every day have a look on pintrest for biatric recipes there's loads good luck