Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK forum users

Good Morning folks,

Been lurking here for a while and by all means tell me if I'm in the wrong place but my brief story, I'm right at the beginning of my journey trying to pluck up the courage to speak to my doctor about weight loss surgery. I'm 28 years old, I'm over 35 stone and my BMI is over 80. I am so scared of the whole speaking to the doctor process and the NHS process. Would anyone be happy to share their experience of how to approach the doctor, I honestly feel like I've exhausted every other option and now I've gotten to the point where if surgery goes wrong then so be it, at least I'm not slowly dying for years to come.

Sorry if that seems harsh but I feel like I've gotten to this place. Thanks again in advance for reading.

Hey lovely, I went to my doctor and asked them for WLS through the NHS and they were marvellous. There was no shame, embarrassment or judgement and he made me feel so comfortable and at ease throughout the appointment. And in my opinion, that’s the hardest bit. Taking the courage to ask and enquire. Once that’s over, you’re good to go 😄 I’m 16 weeks post op now and I feel amazing! Feel free to hit me up for any more info or support xx

On 11/18/2021 at 7:49 AM, Eggy182 said:

Good Morning folks,

Been lurking here for a while and by all means tell me if I'm in the wrong place but my brief story, I'm right at the beginning of my journey trying to pluck up the courage to speak to my doctor about weight loss surgery. I'm 28 years old, I'm over 35 stone and my BMI is over 80. I am so scared of the whole speaking to the doctor process and the NHS process. Would anyone be happy to share their experience of how to approach the doctor, I honestly feel like I've exhausted every other option and now I've gotten to the point where if surgery goes wrong then so be it, at least I'm not slowly dying for years to come.

Sorry if that seems harsh but I feel like I've gotten to this place. Thanks again in advance for reading.

Hello Eggy, I live between Leeds and Manchester and was told that due to covid all NHS Bariatric surgery is off the table. They are concentrating on other surgeries ... I have no doctor at my local health centre that I feel I can speak too and when I tried in the past I just got told to diet again

My journey started early this year, I was shocked to realised I had caused my own misery. I was at high risk for covid because of my weight. I thought it was because of my other conditions. I spent all those months indoors and really frightened, because of myself. In that time I managed to get back to my highest weight ever. Then I became diabetic, my last straw. I admit I had to hitch up my big girl pants and be brave.

I looked at local private hospitals near me and sent some online inquiries asking the costs. It is no good thinking about it if I can not afford it.

It has taken 9 long months since then to get to where I am, pre op tests being ok, 4 days from surgery. Ask away, I will try and help anyway I can

Come from Merseyside in between Manchester and Liverpool, in 2010 never lost much wait I had to do cbt the 3year lifestyle diet and got a phone call the day before my birthday which is the 30th july saying start your milk diet I had surgery 23rd Aug just trying different foods and 44lbs down and feeling great all done on the NHS this time I had a bypass at Stoke hospital they couldn't do enough for me please go to your doctor and ask don't be embarrassed and you'll be on the road to having your OP hopefully

Hi lovely,

I recently contacted my doctor to ask for surgery only to be told that I had to have a bmi over 40 for at least 5 years and then have followed a nhs dieticians advice for a year or so!!! No problem, I thought....but it appears that they need more than my say so that my bmi has been over 40 for that long, they needed me to have weighed in surgery. This would mean that I would have to wait another 6 years before I would be considered. I have no other conditions either at the moment so was told there was no way I would be considered. I have now got a loan from my bank because they have the best deal, my first appointment is Feb 9th! It might take me years to pay it off but I'll be feeling sooooo much better after the weightloss that it won't matter. Good luck in your journey xxx

Sent from my SM-G980F using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi everyone,

I have my first appointment with Spire Bristol on the 9th Feb [emoji16]. I can't find anywhere in Wales sadly. Has anyone had their op at Bristol? Just wondered how good they are. Thank you in advance for any help [emoji3059]

Sent from my SM-G980F using BariatricPal mobile app

I had mine at Stoke hospital this year but had the sleeve in 2010 at Macclesfield stoke was loads better and had more time for you as a patient but I was in 4 days after and the nurses couldn't do enough for me

I used Nuffield through a company called Healthier Weight that was recommended by my surgeon, this was after being told in July that the NHS waiting list was at least three years and I decided that was too long to wait to get my life back together. My operation was in November so I didn't have long to wait in the grand scheme of things and I can't fault any of the care I have received.

I used Ramsey Healthcare at the Woodlands in Kettering. My surgeon was Mr Sutton and bariatric nurse was Emma.
They were and are an amazing team. Yes I paid a premium, but I have so much after care and lifetime support. I interviewed 3 different surgeons across the country before I made my decision and I am glad I chose him. Within 6 weeks of first consultation I was in and having my surgery.
i had my surgery in 13th July, I weighed 15 stone. I now weight 9 stone 10.

I have had no complications at all!

I used a bank loan to fund this as the interest rate was more favourable. It did cost me £10k but it’s the best money I have ever spent!

i also have an on hand dietician and an app which has lifetime support and contact with a range of professionals

good luck in your journey!! 😊

1 hour ago, CharlotteC88 said:

eholmes89 I had the same surgeon and nurse!!!! Same hospital. Now 3 weeks and 1 day post op.
How are you doing? I’m struggling with liquids only and puréed/mashed. I want real food! X

Hi Charlotte!

amazing! They are a fab team and the nurses were amazing during recovery.

im doing really well now. I can eat anything in moderation. Still small portions but I’m really happy how it’s gone.

yes those first few months were certainly difficult, but remembering the end goal gets you through. Speak with the team if you have any concerns, I assume you have Jane as your dietician and she’s lovely and will help with any advice you need.

it’s all about changing your relationship with food, which took me a good few months. I felt i was missing out for a while, but now I can eat out with family, and I navigated Christmas well. I still enjoy food, but I have a different respect for it now.

just hold out and take your time and let your body tell you what it needs. Remember Vitamins and I also still take baricol for my B12 which Mr Sutton recommend.

I’m reaching 1000 calories on a good day but still have restricted days where my stomach just doesn’t allow anything so I stick to Protein Shakes.

Here’s a before and after. (I’ve lost another 6lb since the after photo)
i want to loose another 8lbs but it’s slow going now and just letting my body do it’s thing.

good luck in your journey! Any advice needed let me know.. loads of lovely people on here to chat to.

xx

1C100337-55E0-4FE6-B7A3-24265F6E9727.jpeg

Hi all,

I am from the UK but was sleeved in Turkey on 20th Dec, I was not big enough for surgery in the UK and it 4x the price here.

I don't feel like I am meeting my Protein goals but do like the Grenade drinks. Is it just me or does everything taste extra sweet after surgery?!

4 minutes ago, Ngotsleeved said:

Hi all,

I am from the UK but was sleeved in Turkey on 20th Dec, I was not big enough for surgery in the UK and it 4x the price here.

I don't feel like I am meeting my Protein goals but do like the Grenade drinks. Is it just me or does everything taste extra sweet after surgery?!

Hey!!

Yes! Absolutely! For about 4 months I couldn’t stand any thing sweet! I would feel instant nausea!
6 months along and my tolerance has got better. I can’t drink sugary drinks, chocolate milkshakes etc.. but can now eat biscuits.
However I can’t even eat solid chocolate anymore 😷

I did try some branded Protein Bars, Desserts etc but when they were too sweet for me.

Its not a terribly bad thing though… and now I don’t miss it anymore.

i never tried the Grenade drinks for Protein, might take a look. I find the strawberry or vanilla UFit Protein Drinks the most palatable.
I also have Upbeat protein Water which has a nice fruity flavour without the sweetness.

i did also recently find a B12 water which I throw into my daily liquid intake to help boost the Vitamins.
It’s called Getmore. I find them on Ocado.

Im glad there is a lot more out there now in terms of options for Protein Shakes etc.. because it can get boring.

Hi, thanks for your comment.

I have been living on Soups and Protein Water, had the odd Protein Shake but they are very sweet and that puts me off atm. I don't think I am getting enough protein but have subsidised by nibbling on a Babybel and had some mozzarella earlier.

Sweet things were my downfall pre-surgery and I am hoping I am now off them for life!!

1 minute ago, eholmes89 said:

Hey!!

Yes! Absolutely! For about 4 months I couldn’t stand any thing sweet! I would feel instant nausea!
6 months along and my tolerance has got better. I can’t drink sugary drinks, chocolate milkshakes etc.. but can now eat biscuits.
However I can’t even eat solid chocolate anymore 😷

I did try some branded Protein Bars, Desserts etc but when they were too sweet for me.

Its not a terribly bad thing though… and now I don’t miss it anymore.

i never tried the Grenade drinks for Protein, might take a look. I find the strawberry or vanilla UFit Protein Drinks the most palatable.
I also have Upbeat protein Water which has a nice fruity flavour without the sweetness.

i did also recently find a B12 water which I throw into my daily liquid intake to help boost the Vitamins.
It’s called Getmore. I find them on Ocado.

Im glad there is a lot more out there now in terms of options for Protein Shakes etc.. because it can get boring.

5 minutes ago, Ngotsleeved said:

Hi, thanks for your comment.

I have been living on Soups and Protein Water, had the odd Protein Shake but they are very sweet and that puts me off atm. I don't think I am getting enough Protein but have subsidised by nibbling on a Babybel and had some mozzarella earlier.

Sweet things were my downfall pre-surgery and I am hoping I am now off them for life!!

Sure. You are only about 3 weeks post op?

So still really getting used to it all.. I would say with time your tolerance for sweeter things may return.

I was always a savoury person! You would be guaranteed to find me at the sandwich’s and sausage rolls at a buffet!!
so I don’t miss it as much as others maybe do.

Have you looked at savoury Protein Shakes? Using plain Protein Powder? Like mixing in with Soups? (Perhaps that’s what your already doing)

protein is always a worry: even now I have to make sure my meals are protein rich.. because I still eat such a small amount.

I struggle with fibre, that’s my downfall. Which has caused some very painful incidents with toilet habits!! So now I also have a fibre powered drink once a day.
At first it seems overwhelming, but it becomes a way of life. 🙂

babybels, chicken fridge bites, protein yoghurts.. that’s how I managed.
To be honest sometimes even now I don’t reach protein goals as I should.
just keep trying best you can.. your stomach will feel much better as time goes on and you will be able to manage much more.

i went from drinking 2-3 litres of Water a day pre op! And now I can barely manage 1litre Across 12 hours! But it’s getting easier.

🙂