Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK forum users

That’s so exciting! Can’t wait to hear how it all goes for you - my BMI is 36 - both the doc and dietician said they’re happy for me to proceed but think there is a group approval that has to take place first. Either way if am approved I’ll find out the date this Tuesday. 🎉

I am reading so many different blogs - can’t wait to get started. Feels like I’ve put my life on hold a bit and really need to start living it.

How much time off work are you taking? It seems most people take 2 weeks off I think - not really sure though.

Any recommendations on all the Vitamins you need to take pre op? Or any batch cooking like Soup for when you get back home?

take care - sounds like you’re doing great already! X

13 minutes ago, Squidgy101 said:

That’s so exciting! Can’t wait to hear how it all goes for you - my BMI is 36 - both the doc and dietician said they’re happy for me to proceed but think there is a group approval that has to take place first. Either way if am approved I’ll find out the date this Tuesday. 🎉

I am reading so many different blogs - can’t wait to get started. Feels like I’ve put my life on hold a bit and really need to start living it.

How much time off work are you taking? It seems most people take 2 weeks off I think - not really sure though.

Any recommendations on all the Vitamins you need to take pre op? Or any batch cooking like Soup for when you get back home?

take care - sounds like you’re doing great already! X

Same here! Just barely 36 BMI.
Perhaps there was a group approval, maybe I missed that part lol I booked a date with the consultant on the first appointment.
fingers crossed for you that you get your approval! 🤞🏻

yes I read so much and watched so my videos about it and I just felt it was the right time.

I have taken two days holiday officially from work (day of surgery and following day) but then ‘working from home’ for a week. I was keen not to have too much time off so I can get moving, I work in an office so it’s pretty laid back. I guess driving is my main concern with feeling lethargic etc

I’ve always taken a daily multi Vitamin (centrum gummies) although advised to stop a week prior to surgery. I think I have to start them again after but I will checK with the nurse when I’m there. I have been advised to buy some Baricol for the B12 supplement. which I will probably do.
I have stocked up on Protein Shakes from My Protein and also they do some cool protein waters as well. I have some broths, oxo, ice lollies and jelly stocked up as well. Not sure how it will go!!

you sound like your researching well, this forum is great for hints and tips as well. I’ve learnt a lot!!

🙂

I really enjoy My Level 10 Life on YouTube, Erin really helpfully answers loads of questions about surgery, diet etc and generally seems like she's been through a lot of **** and remains upbeat.

sugar free ice lollies/ice pops were really helpful that first couple weeks out. Good luck for Tuesday squidgy.

1 hour ago, Squidgy101 said:

Are you telling people? I don’t think I will. There are a lot of fattists in my family/circle of friends who will just throw some negative comments about cheating or laziness so keeping stum I think.

Ps: I told one person. This topic can really divide the community, but personally I needed to do this myself without judgement or questions. I told my boss and colleagues I was having a procedure, fit note from GP just said "post op". Told my family I was having a hiatus hernia repair (as I was at the same time so not total lie!) which helpfully also means you have to stick to a puree/soft diet for a few weeks so I could be open about that. It has come up in discussion with friends that I am doing a lot more walking and my meals are very Protein focused, and I don't feel one bit that I have cheated because at the end of the day, bariatric surgery is a tool and I'm putting in a hell of a lot of work. Your body and your health is noone else's business, unless you choose to tell them!

There can of course be power in sharing your story and distigmatising WLS, and you might have some very understanding and supportive people around you 🙂

07/11/2021 09:39 PM, eholmes89 said:

Same here! Just barely 36 BMI.

Perhaps there was a group approval, maybe I missed that part lol I booked a date with the consultant on the first appointment.

fingers crossed for you that you get your approval! 🤞🏻

yes I read so much and watched so my videos about it and I just felt it was the right time.

I have taken two days holiday officially from work (day of surgery and following day) but then ‘working from home’ for a week. I was keen not to have too much time off so I can get moving, I work in an office so it’s pretty laid back. I guess driving is my main concern with feeling lethargic etc

I’ve always taken a daily multi Vitamin (centrum gummies) although advised to stop a week prior to surgery. I think I have to start them again after but I will checK with the nurse when I’m there. I have been advised to buy some Baricol for the B12 supplement. which I will probably do.

I have stocked up on Protein Shakes from My Protein and also they do some cool Protein waters as well. I have some broths, oxo, ice lollies and jelly stocked up as well. Not sure how it will go!!

you sound like your researching well, this forum is great for hints and tips as well. I’ve learnt a lot!!

🙂

Thank you! X

Yeah it’s tough - like you say it’s no ones business. I have been on so many diets, it won’t be unusual that I’ll lose the weight - no one will be expecting me to keep it off. I am doing the same, calling it a routine op & healthy kick, not entirely untrue. How have you found it so far? Any advice x

Hey all,

I’m Lozzii, very new here and received my letter confirming my surgery date for 29th July 2021. I’ve been on the pathways programme through the NHS since June 2019 so when the letter landed over the weekend it took me by surprise! I’m very nervous about the whole thing for a multitude of reasons, one of which being the fact I’ve never been admitted to hospital before. I don’t know how I’m going to respond to general anaesthetic or how I’ll feel afterwards and it’s just making me a little anxious.

Apart from that, I’m really excited and if anyone has any hints or tips that helped them through the pre and post op initial few weeks, it’s be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lozzii ✌🏼
insta journey - @fat_and_flawless

22 hours ago, fat_and_flawless said:

Hey all,

I’m Lozzii, very new here and received my letter confirming my surgery date for 29th July 2021. I’ve been on the pathways programme through the NHS since June 2019 so when the letter landed over the weekend it took me by surprise! I’m very nervous about the whole thing for a multitude of reasons, one of which being the fact I’ve never been admitted to hospital before. I don’t know how I’m going to respond to general anaesthetic or how I’ll feel afterwards and it’s just making me a little anxious.

Apart from that, I’m really excited and if anyone has any hints or tips that helped them through the pre and post op initial few weeks, it’s be greatly appreciated.

Ahh congratulations! Very weird time to be going into hospital for the first time, I was a bag of nervous energy for the 2 weeks before! I had RNY 4 weeks ago today, and it has been easier than I feared. I read and absorbed every horror story imaginable, and even walking down to theatre was thinking "am I mad.."! My main advice for pre-surgery is DEEP CLEAN YOUR HOUSE! If you live alone book visitors, and recruit them to do stuff like hang out a load of washing or take the recycling out or walk the dog.. move any Soups, Protein Shakes etc to a place you can reach easily, you won't want to be stretching or scrabbling about in the back of a cupboard. If you're thinking about getting an online food shop in the first couple weeks, make sure someone is there to help you unpack it and put it away! Ask friends for film and telly recommendations to add to your Netflix/Amazon list so you can just stick stuff on and doze once your back home. Take some measurements if you've got a tape measure handy (I did my bra line, narrowest bit of waist, belly button line, widest part of hips, bicep and thigh).

Post-surgery, my life is WALKING, FLUIDS, Protein, pills. Those are your essentials from day one, at first it's slow and difficult but it gets a teeny bit better every day. Don't get obsessed with the scales!! Be kind to yourself, and when it all gets a bit overwhelming, remember 'this too shall pass' and then jump on here to find a whole world of people who've been through it.

I liked that there's loads of people in America on here, because they're awake if you can't sleep with nerves/excitement/or anything else..

Hi I am new to this group/website.

I live in Guernsey/Channel Islands and I am looking for gastric surgery. I have met with our local surgeon today Dr Van Den Bossche and he confirmed that the surgery he can offer will take place at Spire in Southampton. Any gastric surgery I have will need to take place in the UK. The after care will not be local apart from the surgeon who will be available by email or follow appointments.

Before I commit to Spire, Van Den Bossche I would appreciate any feedback and have the following questions:

• Have you used Spire?
  • How after care is needed after surgery?
  • Any recommendations to use a different private surgery/consultants?

This is a scary but exciting time for me. Thank you in advanced for any replies and your support. If you would like to send me a private message please do.

RF

Edited by RebeccaF

Hi Rebecca. I live near Manchester and am using the Spire Hospital up here. I have met the Surgeon twice and the nutritionists. I had a phone consultation with the psychiatrist. They all were professional and approachable. I had to have a H.Pylori test done at my own docs. I also need a pre op test done at the hospital

I began this journey in April and thought I would be on the other side of theatre now but I have no date yet. I have to do a three week milk and vegetable diet to shrink my liver beforehand. Even self pay is more time consuming than I imagined.

I do wonder if my timing is bad and because the NHS being so stretched- people are going private and waiting time is longer ?

I hope you can get the advice you need

Hi all 🥰, I'm here because I'm just starting my journey. After 28 years of being over weight, I have now decided that I want to have weightloss surgery and I'm just praying I'm accepted. Can anyone suggest a great private clinic that is reasonably priced? What price is reasonable for gastric sleeve surgery? Really appreciate all the help I can get.💖

Hi Nikki,

I have seen quotes of anything from £12,000 to £15000 for sleeve in the UK . Not seen anything cheaper. If you email the hospitals they will give you a quote. Good luck

1 hour ago, Nikki@50 said:

Hi all 🥰, I'm here because I'm just starting my journey. After 28 years of being over weight, I have now decided that I want to have weightloss surgery and I'm just praying I'm accepted. Can anyone suggest a great private clinic that is reasonably priced? What price is reasonable for gastric sleeve surgery? Really appreciate all the help I can get.💖

Hi Nikki

i had mine done in the U.K. with Ramsay Health care at my local private hospital with Mr Sutton. I paid £10,400. With life time after care support. 2 years dietician, 2 years psychologist support.
i did a lot of research before choosing this consultant.
i ‘interviewed’ three consultants from different clinics around the U.K. I chose Mr Sutton based on reviews (if you Google him you will see his history) and also I had used the local private hospital before and really liked it so it made sense.

They offer a financial package, however I found a loan from my bank was lower interest and easier payments to manage.

I am one week post op and I have no complaints at all with how everything went. I have my bariatric nurses number and has contacted her a few times 24hours a day and she’s extremely helpful and lovely. Everything is included in the price, all meds, follow ups etc.

I would just say do you homework. Read up about the consultant and even have a free consultation with them and talk with them. Like I did. It’s the best way

good luck in your search! ❤️

Awe thank you so much for your help 🥰. I live near Cardiff and I 'm hoping to have the surgery as close to home as possible. I will definitely take your advice and Google the consultants first. I'm so worried I'll be turned down but I'm also worried about the surgery 🙈. Your surgeon and aftercare sound amazing. I hope you're healing well, thank you again for your help 🤗💖.