Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK forum users

Going abroad for surgery but I'm a bit worried about post-op diet / Vitamins etc. How best can I plan what foods work for me and what supplements are best to take without an NHS nutritionist?

Hey all, I am a newbie both to WLS and to the forum. I am struggling with nausea and pain at the moment and it’s really bringing me down. I am pleased I went ahead with the surgery but I hadn’t appreciated fully how slow the recovery is 😞

8 hours ago, JaneW24 said:

Hey all, I am a newbie both to WLS and to the forum. I am struggling with nausea and pain at the moment and it’s really bringing me down. I am pleased I went ahead with the surgery but I hadn’t appreciated fully how slow the recovery is 😞

How far out are you Jane? Everyone heals at different rates remember. I had to stay in the hospital for longer as I couldn't even sip Water & kept being sick. The 1st few days back home I felt beyond exhausted, sore & irritable. The minute I managed to start moving more & drinking Protein rich fluids in larger quantities the better I started to feel. Hang in there!

Thanks so much, it’s comforting to know it’s not just me. I had a MGB in 17 November and came home from hospital on Thursday, so this is day 4 for me.

Don't worry Jane - if you're like me, you won't be feeling pants for too long.

I had the surgery 2.5 years ago. I'm 8 stone down, enjoy eating small portions of tasty food and I regularly run 5km - sometimes 10km. The temporary nausea and discomfort after the op was absolutely worth it.

Hi everyone ,

Nice to see a UK thread , find it hard seeing all recommendations and then not being able to get things here in the UK

Im Leeds based and having nhs sleeve on 10th may fingers crossed as it's dependant on hdu beds ! Had it cancelled twice due to covid. Both times I was part way through the pre op diet .

Trying not to worry to much but you see so many issues on the forums that it's difficult not to

Hayley

On 5/6/2021 at 10:00 PM, Hayleychapp said:

Hi everyone ,

Nice to see a UK thread , find it hard seeing all recommendations and then not being able to get things here in the UK

Im Leeds based and having nhs sleeve on 10th may fingers crossed as it's dependant on hdu beds ! Had it cancelled twice due to covid. Both times I was part way through the pre op diet .

Trying not to worry to much but you see so many issues on the forums that it's difficult not to

Hayley

I'm in the north east - also really glad to see all you UK lot!

How did it go Hayleychapp??

I'm scheduled for 12th June with Mr Balapuri at Spire Washington.

Hi ,

Surgery went ahead and all is well , coming to the end of liquid phase now and ready to start puree .

Research on food can be abit frustrating as alot of the suggestions on here are for American products that we can't get , they seem to have so many more options than us .

Getting slight heartburn the past few days.

I found after the surgery I had to be quite on the ball in requesting meds for prescription such as prescribed Vitamins , meds to help bowels etc . So maybe do your research and then ask for what you need ( I have a pre paid subscription for a year so works out cheaper than buy over the counter )

Good luck with your surgery

Xx

Hi all, great to have a uk feed, as most are from America. I’m in the north-east had my RNY at sunderland royal with mr small on january 25th 2021. Iv lost 42 pounds so far but been at a stall for the past 4 weeks, don’t know what i’m doing wrong, any advice ?

Can anyone please tell me which the Centrum Advance chewables are as I have found the Fruity chewables and the Multigummies but neither say Advance? I’m in England. Thanks!

On 6/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, CLC1981 said:

Hi all, great to have a uk feed, as most are from America. I’m in the north-east had my RNY at sunderland royal with mr small on january 25th 2021. Iv lost 42 pounds so far but been at a stall for the past 4 weeks, don’t know what i’m doing wrong, any advice ?

Hello CLC I had mine this week just down the road at Washington, most of the staff also work on the Sunderland service. Have you spoken to the dietitian about your stall? (Or better still, broken it?!)

8 hours ago, Becboop said:

Can anyone please tell me which the Centrum Advance chewables are as I have found the Fruity chewables and the Multigummies but neither say Advance? I’m in England. Thanks!

Hello, I don't know if they exist, the boots website says advance in the text even though the bottle doesn't. I was told not to take gummies but I would much rather it!

Just now, Hayleychapp said:

I'm prescribed forceval tablets via gp, instead of Centrum but they aren't chewable ( I now pay a years prescription so covers all meds and makes it cheaper in long run )

Yes the prescription certificate is great value! Do you get the dissolvable forceval or regular tablets?