Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm with you. I'm 6 months out and sabotaging myself with junk food, no Water and no exercise. I'm still losing very slowly but I'm sure I would be down a lot more than 52 pounds if I were doing the right things. Pretty much the only liquids I get in are sweet tea and coffee. For a while I had a water accountability buddy and I was getting my 64 in. That really helped. I think I need that again along with a food buddy to help me stay accountable with what I eat. I need to lay off the popcorn, Cheetos, cheese and crackers, chocolate, sandwiches... Oy!!! There's nothing I can't eat.

I admire your honesty! I have struggled in similar ways. For me, I've realized I can read the guidelines and get food advice all day long, but it's MENTAL. Anyone who's struggled with emotional eating knows that. Counseling is going to be your best weapon. Be gentle with yourself, no matter how unfamiliar it feels. Be patient, no matter how hard that is. No matter what, don't beat yourself up. The counselor at my surgeons office told me today that less than 1% of people who quality for WLS don't go through with it, and then others do it and just quit. You're on here seeking advice and support, so you most definitely haven't quit. As long as you stay in the game, you always have a chance to make changes. Remember that human emotions aren't built for change, we have to work hard at it. You can do it!! Send me a message any time you need support!!

Words of wisdom from Albert Einstein: "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

Previous to surgery, I would always sabotage my diets by "tweaking" them to fit my dietary preferences.

I am not doing that now. Staying on my program is my plan, because what I did before never worked! I hope you can use your situation to analyze where things are off track and fix them.

I'm trying to imagine how ( and what it will take) To continue this change of lifestyle after I lose the weight. When I find myself slipping into old bad habits, I resolve to watch for these " potholes" in the future. It's a long journey- what we do now predicts how well things will go in the future. Be a problem solver. Look for ideas on this forum. Our veterans are awesome!

Best wishes and positive thoughts for your health????

What works for me is regimentation, that is, repeating the same schedule every day. Weekends can be tricky, but I still try to stick to my schedule as closely as possible. Your menu may vary, but try to eat, drink, and walk on the same schedule. Below is an example I posted during my weight-loss phase. I found that the closer I stuck to it, the faster the weight came off. Good luck!

As for carbs, mostly I get them from my shakes, Greek yogurt, and the very limited veggies I'm able to fit in after my Protein. Other doctors and nutritionists give you carb targets, but my doctor just says to limit them as much as possible. If you're not logging your food yet, I'd suggest using http://www.myfitnesspal.com/. It helps you keep track of your Protein and fluids, but also can help you figure out if anything is going off track and affecting your weight loss.

Okay, here's an example of my day:
  • I keep a 2-quart jug and a 24-oz Tervis tumbler (with a handle) both at home and at work.
  • I count my morning protein shake as a meal, not a Fluid. (30 grams of protein)
  • 30-60 minutes later, I have a cup of coffee. (Count it as a Fluid if you like.)
  • After that, I drink a 24-oz. tumbler of watered-down, Decaf, sugar-free iced tea, like Crystal Light throughout the morning. (Lots of frequent sips)
  • Then I walk for 30+ minutes at lunch.
  • Then it's lunchtime - tuna salad or chicken salad, or leftover protein from dinner. (16-22 grams of protein) and maybe a bite of veggies if there's room.
  • About 45 minutes after lunch, I'll fill another 24-oz tumbler of iced tea and sip that throughout the afternoon, finishing by 30 minutes before my afternoon snack.< /li>
  • At around 4:00 or 4:30, my afternoon snack is usually a Greek yogurt (12 grams of protein) or some leftovers. (This is also a good time to get in some veggies or a V-8 if you're getting enough protein at other times.)
  • Maybe a cup of hot tea in the later afternoon. (Count it as a fluid you like.)
  • Then dinner – again, getting 20-25 grams of protein from lean steak, fish, chicken, or pork, and maybe a bite or two of veggies.
  • Finally, another 24-oz cup of iced tea or Water 30-45 minutes after dinner that I sip throughout the evening.
  • If I'm hungry later, sugar-free Jello or sugar-free popsicles are good. And if I'm short on protein or still hungry, another yogurt or Protein Shake. (I'm not worried about the calories because this menu only provides 700-900 per day.)
So that's 70+ grams of protein and 72+ ounces of fluid, with some exercise as well. If you have a regular enough schedule, you can follow it every day. If not, maybe a modified version will work.
The big trick is in pre-planning your meals and your fluids, especially if you're going to be away from home or work. In those cases, I always make sure there will be something I can eat, or I bring along a Protein shake or some kind of meat to carry me through. I've also gotten pretty good at restaurant eating. I avoid the bread and salad, order chicken, steak, lamb, fish, or pork, trade in the starch for a second veggie, skip the dessert.... and end up taking half of the meat, and almost all of the veggies home.
I know we need to learn to eat "normally", but I'm not there yet – especially when it comes to carbs. When I get to goal weight, I'll work on finding my new low-carb "normal".
Hope that helps!
Rog

Thanks Rog for that regimented plan. I'm having my sleeve tomorrow and trying hard to plan for my life post op. I have 2 weeks off work to get organized then it's full steam back into my full time job with many other commitments around it, so I will need to be very prepared. Your post helped!

I love the advice from @@Babbs and @@CowgirlJane and @@Rogofulm .

If I didn't plan every morning what I was going to eat that day (using www.myfitnesspal.com) I know I'd never hit my Protein targets and calorie targets. I have loved that tool. LOVED it!

If we're being really honest here, I just aim for 64 ounces of liquids throughout the day -- including iced green tea, milk, and my morning Protein Drink. (I do have real food for lunch and Breakfast, but stick with a Protein Drink most mornings -- when, frankly, I'm not that hungry anyway.)

I feel SO much better on the days I hit my full 64 ounces than when I don't.

Again, planning makes the difference for me.

I am so grateful for all of your advice! It sounds like I need to focus more on planning and scheduling. I truly appreciate all of your feedback!!

If getting your fluids is a problem, buy a 24-ounce Tervis tumbler (and separate handle). Drink one tumbler between Breakfast and lunch, another one between lunch and dinner, and a third one between dinner and bed time. That's 72 ounces right there! I drink watered-down Crystal Light (or generic) Decaf iced tea. I make a 2-quart package in a 3-quart jug. It's just the right level of sweetness and really refreshing. Good luck!

I agree with the Tervis Tumbler comment I'm obsessed with them (I have 20) they come in all kinds of designs anything you can think of pretty much. I also use a Yeti Rambler they're more expensive but keep ice for a long time. I've even had ice the next afternoon left in my cup!! I use the great value brand sugar free caffeine free peach tea to mix sometimes.

I second Babb's suggestion of the straw. I spend a minimum of 2 hours per day in the car. I drink 20 oz on my way to work for my hour commute and 20 oz on my way home. I have a double walled 24 oz cup. I prefer my Water with ice. I use Mio or I Water down diet Chik Fil A lemonade. I have a double walled 32 oz cup at my desk. I fill that in the morning and sip on it all day. There is no way I could get in my 64 oz water without Mio and without a straw.

For food: We have a cafeteria at work.

Get up at 5:30am

6 am Leave for work- 1 hour commute- drink 20 oz of water. Refill when I get to work and drink another 6-8 oz before breakfast.

At 8:15 I get 1 egg with spinach and tomatoes and a little cheddar. I also get a sausage link. Fill 32 oz water.

At about 10:30 I eat another small meal- a slice of cheese & some deli turkey/ham, I eat lunch at 1. Normally chicken, Tomato, lettuce, kalamata olives. Or a little chicken salad. Or part of a Boston Market chicken caesar no croutons. or some Soup.

At 3:30 I will have nuts or yogurt or low fat cottage cheese. If I don't plan well I stop at Chik Fil A on the way home and get a kids meal with grilled nuggets. You can get no sugar added cinnamon apple sauce or fresh fruit instead of fries. I leave work at 4:15 so maybe at 4:30 I stop at the CFA

dinner tends to be late: 8:30 or 9 pm. Grilled chicken or fish, veggies, steal a bite of DH's carb side dish (rice, mac & cheese, potato). Literally one bite so I don't feel deprived. If DH wants burgers I will have one on a wheat Arnold's sandwich thin. I eat it as an open faced burger so wind up only eating half of half since I only eat about 1/2 a burger. The dogs love my left overs. Meatballs and sauce with no Pasta. I do get Dreamfields low carb Pasta for DH so I don't feel guilty if I do steal a bite or two of his pasta (I allow myself and extra bite of the low carb pasta). I hate Barilla pasta.

I am weird and don't like leftovers. If you don't mind leftover you can do what my friend does. She banded 6 years ago. She cooks a big batch of drumsticks and thighs on Sunday night with a dry rub. (Chicken breast get suck for her). She then brings in chicken and a small salad or broccoli for lunch most days.

When her kids were living at home and she was married she would just make sure she cooked a little extra for dinner and bring in the meat and veggies the next day. She cooks her eggs the night before - 1 egg plus some egg whites and heats it in the microwave at work.

I find when I slipped back to only 3 meals a day my weight loss slowed.

Weekends are tougher since I trail ride for 3 hours at a time. I drink Protein shakes in the AM to make sure I get my Protein. Also since I am not used to eating solid food for a good 3 hours after I get up during the week I find that I just can't eat solid food within a couple of hours of waking. I normally get up, shower, get dressed drink Protein shake and am out the door about 1.5 hours after I get up. I bring a soft cooler with me with Protein Bars, water, deli meat and nuts. I drink when I am grooming the horse and when riding. Once the horse are loaded back on the trailer I will snack on one of the protein things I brought with me. If I take a long time at the barn afterwards I may eat another protein thing.

Weekends are the toughest for me to get in protein and enough water. Since I am outdoors and sweating I need a lot more than 64 oz on the weekends. I somehow don't like to eat while I ride so I try to fit in in right before I mount or on the trailer ride home. I need things that are portable.

I think that the major circumstance that had made all of this food and Water juggling do-able for me is that I am retired. My deepest respect goes out to those of you who have to accommodate a work routine or the care of litle kidlets.

I do the five mini-meals, too, but have to be careful to keep the timing short, or it easily turns into grazing. I do have an assortment of Protein bars on hand, but I save them for when I am out and about. They are kinda like candy bars with Protein, adds to my carb limit very quickly.

Colder beverages work for me, too. sugar-free popsicles and Jello count as Fluid. Sometimes I just don't want full strength Crystal Lite, so I will make up a gallon and put in a packet meant for one glass. I don't miss the straw as much as I miss the Pepsi I used to drink with the straw. Well, there is no turning back on that one. Lack of a straw will not stop the world from turning.

You sound like a good candidate for batch cooking. Having the right foods on hand makes this process easier. My boyfriend is the cook in this house (I do the clean-up) because he just simply is better at it. But he works 12 hour days, three on and then three off. On one of his off days, he cooks everything for the week, and we are fine with heating up the lefoivers.

He makes ups a batch of sandwiches for his work days, which means I always have meats and cheeses in the fridge for myself. He might make up a batch of breakfast burritos to take to work, which means I have the scrambled egg and veggie filling for my breakfasts.

I wish you much success with your weight loss. Hugs from Chicago.

Miss Mac he sounds amazing

@@Rogofulm @@Twinmomma422 - I received my Tervis tumbler yesterday, the lid should get here today. :)

What is so special about the Tervis tumbler (other than the cool patterns on them!)?

What is so special about the Tervis tumbler (other than the cool patterns on them!)?

The handles make them easy to manage, they keep drinks cold (or warm), and they're 24 ounces, so 3 of them (1 after breakfast, 1 after lunch, and 1 after dinner) makes 72 ounces for the day. There are tons of other options out there, but I just find them really conducive to drinking all that I should.