Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Planning for Help at Home After Surgery

Just doing some planning, and I know everybody is different, but how long are you planning on having help at home after surgery OR how long did you need help after surgery?

Thank you!

SunflowerGal

My surgery was today. I'm required to have someone with me for 24 hours after surgery, but my hubby took some vacation days and will be with me a total of 3 days {including today). There were some things I definitely couldn't have done myself when I got home this afternoon, so I would suggest 24 hour help at an absolute minimum just in case.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!

My friend traveled to be with me for surgery. Before she arrived I purchased all my Protein and broth, etc. Cleaned the apartment and did laundry. Laid all my PJs out so I wouldn't have to bend over to get them. I was released at 4:30pm and my friend left the next day around noon. I was fine alone.

I think not having someone to care for you makes you recover faster because you have to move around, and you need to be moving anyway. Just my opinion

What are your responsibilities at home? Do you live on a farm and have to take care of livestock? Did you live in the city with a lot of pets? Do you have small children?

Or are you like me, where the heaviest thing you have to lift is your bottle of fluids?

What are your responsibilities at home? Do you live on a farm and have to take care of livestock? Did you live in the city with a lot of pets? Do you have small children?

Or are you like me, where the heaviest thing you have to lift is your bottle of fluids?

Just me (and my dog who I can have somebody walk for me)!

Since I live alone, and just four miles from my parents, I am planning to go to their house for a few days, at least, when I am released from the hospital. I don't mind being by myself right after, since I am so used to living by myself and doing everything around the house, but my mom is insisting on me staying with them right after, which I am totally with doing.

My husband stayed home with me for 3 days. I definitely needed him here with me! After that, I have been fine staying by myself.

I had help but I didn't utilize them because I wanted to walk as much as possible to get the gas out of my stomach.

My surgery was today. I'm required to have someone with me for 24 hours after surgery, but my hubby took some vacation days and will be with me a total of 3 days {including today). There were some things I definitely couldn't have done myself when I got home this afternoon, so I would suggest 24 hour help at an absolute minimum just in case.

Your surgery was done as outpatient? My surgeon requires a two night stay in the hospital. I thought that was pretty standard. I'm kinda shocked!

Your surgery was done as outpatient? My surgeon requires a two night stay in the hospital. I thought that was pretty standard. I'm kinda shocked!

Yep, outpatient. All of the WLS done by the doctors in the group are outpatient, unless there are complications. I missed having the good pain meds for an extra day or two!

Like you said, everyone is different. My husband stayed home a week . I'm a big baby & had a hard time giving myself the heparin shots. My dr. Required two weeks, twice a day injections. That was the hardest for me.

Like you said, everyone is different. My husband stayed home a week . I'm a big baby & had a hard time giving myself the heparin shots. My dr. Required two weeks, twice a day injections. That was the hardest for me.

Wow. I'm so sorry (those things can hurt!). You're the first person I've heard that had to go through this. My heparin shots stopped when I left the hospital. Still have the bruises from them though.

0 hours or days of regular help at home needed or planned for. I was fine. I did have my housekeeper come for an extra visit to take care of the heavier chores and change the kitty litter while I had a lifting restriction. She usually comes every other week and I had her come every week for the first four weeks.

I live alone. My mom came and stayed for 3 days. It was good to have someone to observe me for medical issues for the first 24 hours, (I was only in the hospital overnight), but I really didn't "need" a thing. I had plenty energy to whiz up a Protein Shake or nuke a few tablespoons of Soup, let the dogs out and walk around the block! Kicked her out by day 3. Let a friend come by on day 6 to help carry the laundry basket and change the bed, but really those things could have waited. Everyone just wanted to help! Was driving by day 5 and back at work the middle of the next week. Never needed narcotics at home. Nausea patch took care of nausea. Never took a heparin shot. They said I was already active enough to skip it.

All that said, your mileage may vary. Some folks have issues getting fluids in and are tired so they don't want to move a lot which are about the most important things you can do for yourself in the first 5 days. You never know how you'll react. Good luck!