Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any teachers out there...returning to work?

Hey All,

I had my surgery on August 10th. Our first workday is tomorrow. I am wondering if I should try to make it for at least some of the workdays - specifically the meetings (almost no physical activity, plenty of time to drink). I hate missing these days but don't want to push myself.

Any thoughts or advice about this?

Thanks!

I am a teacher who was sleeved on May 11th. I returned to work full duty 2weeks after my surgery date. I explained to my admin what my needs were & they were very accommodating! I wouldn't be moving furniture or setting up your classroom if I were you, but PD days should be fine. I was able to do all my regular responsibilities, with a little more fatigue than normal but nothing overwhelming. Good luck & happy Back to School!

I am also a teacher and was sleeved on 7/29 and go back to work on 8/24. Since the first week is all prep and pdi think i will be fine. U were sleeved 2 weeks later than me, talk to admin and if u need to leave early leave early. As you know teaching if exhausting, rest when u can

I am a teacher had my surgery 4/23 and was back at work on 4/27. I knew my limits and had great support from the other music teacher. I think you can handle it.

I am a first grade teacher. Had revision band to sleeve on 7/28/15. Went back to in service on 8/7. Students came 8/12. In service wasn't too bad, first 3 days of school were rough, but made it. Yesterday, Monday 8/17, felt best ever. Wish I had waited 3 weeks instead of two, but like you hated to miss the days. Today I am tired, but not extraordinarily so. Haven't weighed since my one week post op visit where I had lost almost 20 lb. since surgery. Started at 277, weighed 258 at 1 week checkup.

I'm a teacher. I had was sleeves on 7/22. I went back to work on 8/17. I was 4 weeks out, but it was my first days of being up and out of the house all day! I was nervous. But my admin and a couple of fellow teachers knew. So I didn't feel bad about taking extra breaks. Plus my admin told me if it was too much and I had to leave early, leave early.

Thanks to all for your wonderful responses! Although I feel guilty about not being there - I have decided that I will stay home and rest until Monday. It feels a little self-indulgent but sometime when taking care of myself it just seems that way. Hope you all have a wonderful school year! :)

I'm a high school senior English teacher. I'm just getting this process started. My consultation is next month. If I get my way, I will have the surgery in December and recover during the holiday break. I don't Celebrate, so I'm not going to miss the food. I'm glad to see a group of teachers here. ????????

I had my surgery March 24 the Tuesday of our spring break and went back to work the next Monday. Was tired as all get out but it got better!

Tomorrow is the first day back for one week of preservice I will have to see how much energy I hold out

New member... First post actually. :).

My surgery was Aug 19th and my surgeon recommended 4 weeks off which will have me miss the first 5 days of school. The plan as it stands is for me to return full time on September 15.

I am feeling really good surprisingly. Never took pain meds, doing well with get Water in and each day gets better. I have a post op appointment Tuesday and I think I may ask if he will let me return to work half day starting the 8th and then full day the 15th. I think that would help me get used to working energy wise and then I don't have to miss the first day with my students completely. I am an in class support teacher so there are always 2 of us so me leaving for a few days won't be a big deal. Really hoping the doc will go for it.

I think I may ask if he will let me return to work half day starting the 8th and then full day the 15th. I think that would help me get used to working energy wise and then I don't have to miss the first day with my students completely. I am an in class support teacher so there are always 2 of us so me leaving for a few days won't be a big deal. Really hoping the doc will go for it.

I don't see why not. I was only out of my classroom 2 weeks. I felt great, no complications, no pain meds, no major fatigue. However,also worked with my Admin to have strategies in place in case I needed them. Worked very well for me!

Good luck!

Well thanks to all the teachers on here I'm in the same field and just started the process and was hopping to have it done during Christmas break and be back by the time kids come back I work with special needs kids

I know that I'm a bit crazy...I had my sleeve done in a Wednesday and was back in the classroom on Monday.

The beginning is rough...I was tired! Didn't take long before I got my energy back.

Best of luck on your journey and upcoming new school year!!

Have worked 2 days preservice. Needed to rest when the day is over, biggest thing i noticed was i was not sipping enough, trying to do better