Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Generic Vitamins for post op?

I'm having bariatric bypass this Thursday 8/20/15. I've been told to take Vitamin supplements and was sold Bariatric fusion brand. These are expensive as are most proprietary brands, plus the instructions on the bottle say to chew one tablet four times a day. I would prefer to take them once or twice a day, if possible. Are there any equivalent Vitamins I can buy @ costco or Trader Joe's that would work just as well? Thanks!

I take Centrum chewable as well - but twice a day. I've found knock-offs at CVS that are even cheaper - and they sometimes run 2-for-1 sales.

You don't need to take a brand name. I take Bariatric Advantage and am quite happy with them, but as long as the Vitamins have the recommended dosage prescribed by your doctor, you will be good!

Flintstone Complete chewable has everything you need. I was told to take two daily. Can be taken at the same time.

For those of you who take Centrum chewable, do you take a separate Iron supplement?

I'm one of the Centrum Chewable people. I haven't had to take Iron yet, but then, I'm only about 12 weeks out. I'll find out if and how much at my three-month follow-up. I'm guessing I'll have to take some but not much since I'm post-menopausal.

I take alive children's chewable vitamins. My surgeon said they were ok and they taste great! They have Iron in them and cost about 13 bucks.

Edited by loo loo

I was told to wait for blood work before adding Iron.

Every doctor is different. Mine says I'm a woman and I need Iron because I have periods. I have a friend that doing the sleeve with a different doctor and they want say more stuff so just ask if you're unsure.

I was told in my pre-op class(surgery on sept 1,2015) that we(all 14 of us) should just go buy the cheapest generic Flintstone type chewable for the first month and take two a day. At the one month follow up, bloodwork will be done to determine if additional Vitamins are to be added. That being said, every surgeon has their own recommendations and I would listen to their orders.

Congratulations on your surgery. How are you feeling? I understand not wanting to take Vitamins several times a day. A lot of people don’t or it’s not possible due to schedules, etc. I’m far too busy most of the time. I also don’t like chewables one bit. Since my second week post op (over 8 years ago now), I’ve been taking Vita4Life. I know that many people suggest to not take anything but chewables, but that’s hogwash. There was a time when Vita4Life was one of the only companies around and people had no issues with the capsules, myself included. They digest in under 2 minutes and they are filler free. They also have the added bonus of lasting 3 months and only having to take them twice per day…
Might want to give them a shot. I should add that I’ve never been deficient. Not once. I have the labs to prove it! They have two formulas. One is heavy on Iron and one is heavy on ADEK’s and lighter on iron. http://vita4life.net/products/bariatric-vitamins-multi-standard-formula.html

My surgeon said whichever brand I prefer as long as they meet these guidelines! The ones I selected are separate so a little pricey, but I like that they all melt! I need more vit. D and vit. B's because my levels are low pre-op! post-249589-14431889901151_thumb.jpg

Edited by TMG1980TMG

I take Flintstones Childrens chewable vitamins, two at lunch. It has everything we need, including Iron. And it is dirt cheap at any grocery store.

I take one tablet of Sundown Naturals B-12 2500mg sublingual once per week (on Saturday for me). It is a quick dissolve, and one bottle will last you almost a year, at a cost of under $10. I got mine at Walgreens.

Finally, I get my Calcium and Vitamin D from Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate Chewy Bites, 500mg (comes in various flavors, I like caramel). I take one in the morning, and one at dinner (have to be careful to not take the Multivitamin and the calcium at the same time, or the iron in the multivitamin will interfere with the calcium). It is best to order these online, or from your bariatric center if they carry them.

No fuss, no muss, and not expensive (except maybe the chewy bites, but they are so darn tasty!).