Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to convince hubby Mexico is OK?

How did you convince your partner or loved ones you weren't crazy to want to go to Mexico for surgery?

Well, my sleeve was actually my second surgery in Mexico, so convincing my loved ones this time around was a lot easier. Four years ago, I had plastics in Mexico and that was a little tougher sell. The good news is that my family all know how analytical and logical I am and once I explained that I had done my research and due diligence in choosing a surgeon and spoken to MANY other people who have successful surgeries in Mexico, the trusted my judgement and that I had made a sound decision. It's definitely the sort of thing that when you just mention it to someone, their first reaction is shock and horror. But if you explain it to them rationally and that you were thorough in your research, hopefully they can get past their gut reaction.

when I was planning and doing my research, I came across bariatricpal, my surgeon was willing to skype with me and my brother at the same time, he gave us one hour of his valuable time to answer all our questions...I know all the surgeons form bp do skype with no commitment..I chose dr. Jesus Lopez, but they are all great and they even have support groups on Facebook, I hope that helps.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BariatricSurgeryDeals/?fref=ts

Hello there. I just went to Mexico this July 22cnd. I was a little worried at first because of taking your pass port and such...Can i get stuck down there, is the place clean how is the after care. I had to look into all of those questions before i went to my husband and kids. So i did my work i looked every thing up and showed them all pictures and such and we all felt good about it. So good that my husband said now where are you going? las Vages..lol I traveled with 2 other gals and i must be honest with you. the hospital was clean clean,the motel after was clean clean. the after care was wonderful. good people very friendly and helpful. I will tell you the first night after surgery was absolutly bad..all of us were sick,dry heving,and such from being put out i would say some had bad pain in the chest from the co2 they used to blow your stomache up with but only the first night. and some people didnt have that problem..all in all im down 28 pounds and after a month im feeling great...Just wanted to be honest with you. Hope you can show your husband this and it will help:)

Guest develasco

Hey Jennifer :) I was just wondering if you had made any progress?! For myself... I went to a WLS here in Nebraska where we live. OF COARSE, my BMI wasn't quite high enough for my ensurance to cover. My husband was the one to suggest that I go to Mexico. I started doing research... LOTS of research!! I also talked to people that had gone there and people my husband worked with that had gone.

Well... Once I was comfortable with my decisions~ the procedure, doctor, etc. I began to discuss with my husband and you would never have known he had made the suggestion!!! He was 2nd guessing everything and acting like a spaz!! He can still act "goofy" in a heartbeat!! My situation was easy to "talk down" with him. My father-in-law is a physician and actually practiced for a while there. I"m not sure how long... But, I reminded him that his dad was NOT a quack, and didn't butcher and kill people there. I'm sure there are bad doctors there... There are bad doctors in the USA! I'm quite sure people die here during or after surgery... We just don't here about it. I won't get on my soap box, lol! (I'm a RN, and I know how non-compliant some patients can be- so you have no idea what they did or didn't do before their surgery!)

You just have to research!!! I fly into San Diego, Monday morning the 24th and have surgery later that day!!! You can send me a private message if you and/or your husband are interested in Skyping me while I'm there :) I'll have my phone and can use Wi-Fi, but no internantional talk... But would be happy to help if I can!!! I'm not the least bit worried about the surgery or being there.... My fear is the flying, switching planes, and then finding the driver!!! I'm a freak~ I know!! Lol!

Hello there. I just went to Mexico this July 22cnd. I was a little worried at first because of taking your pass port and such...Can i get stuck down there, is the place clean how is the after care. I had to look into all of those questions before i went to my husband and kids. So i did my work i looked every thing up and showed them all pictures and such and we all felt good about it. So good that my husband said now where are you going? las Vages..lol I traveled with 2 other gals and i must be honest with you. the hospital was clean clean,the motel after was clean clean. the after care was wonderful. good people very friendly and helpful. I will tell you the first night after surgery was absolutly bad..all of us were sick,dry heving,and such from being put out i would say some had bad pain in the chest from the co2 they used to blow your stomache up with but only the first night. and some people didnt have that problem..all in all im down 28 pounds and after a month im feeling great...Just wanted to be honest with you. Hope you can show your husband this and it will help:)

I'm glad to hear you had a great experience, I'm looking into a few places. Where did you go?

Edited by Gina.marie