Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana Vaporization / Edibles Post-Op? ATTN: WEED SMOKERS

Hey there! I'm new to this forum, so I hope to get a warm welcome :)

I plan on having my surgery in November of this year and I'm super excited! Now, I've looked up some of this information on this already, however could not find very much. So I'm hoping with some luck I will get a few answers here.

I am a recreational smoker of marijuana. However, I am proud to say that I am now 85 days sober due to the fact that I'm going for a promotion at my job that requires a hair follicle test. Before this however, I smoked a bowl at least once a day for 2-3 years. And before I get everyone talking about transfer addiction, understand that I was able to cut cold turkey without any desire or withdrawal from the lack of smoking. And on top of that, when I'm high, I don't find myself succumbing to food cravings or having a hindered ability to function normally. Eventually, you build a tolerance for marijuana, unlike alcohol or other harmful substances. It eases stress and makes me feel better, and honestly having a "marijuana addiction" is the least of my worries (in fact, I would MUCH rather have an addiction to marijuana than an addiction to food).

Anyway, I have read that actually smoking marijuana is unadvisable with the sleeve because of possible ulcers. I have also read that if you do smoke marijuana, it is advisable to wait at least 3 months, which would not be a problem. However, for those who smoke regularly, I was wondering if vaporizing/eating the marijuana lessens the chance of stomach ulcers? Would I still have to wait the 3 months after if this is that case?

Any input helps, but I don't need any moral preachers who are uneducated and inexperienced on marijuana and its "addictiveness".

Thanks! :)

Edited by jake__x

Hey there! I'm new to this forum, so I hope to get a warm welcome :)

I plan on having my surgery in November of this year and I'm super excited! Now, I've looked up some of this information on this already, however could not find very much. So I'm hoping with some luck I will get a few answers here.

I am a recreational smoker of marijuana. However, I am proud to say that I am now 85 days sober due to the fact that I'm going for a promotion at my job that requires a hair follicle test. Before this however, I smoked a bowl at least once a day for 2-3 years. And before I get everyone talking about transfer addiction, understand that I was able to cut cold turkey without any desire or withdrawal from the lack of smoking. And on top of that, when I'm high, I don't find myself succumbing to food cravings or having a hindered ability to function normally. Eventually, you build a tolerance for marijuana, unlike alcohol or other harmful substances. It eases stress and makes me feel better, and honestly having a "marijuana addiction" is the least of my worries (in fact, I would MUCH rather have an addiction to marijuana than an addiction to food).

Anyway, I have read that actually smoking marijuana is unadvisable with the sleeve because of possible ulcers. I have also read that if you do smoke marijuana, it is advisable to wait at least 3 months, which would not be a problem. However, for those who smoke regularly, I was wondering if vaporizing/eating the marijuana lessens the chance of stomach ulcers? Would I still have to wait the 3 months after if this is that case?

Any input helps, but I don't need any moral preachers who are uneducated and inexperienced on marijuana and its "addictiveness".

Thanks! :)

I don't really know much about Bariatrics and pot but I think when they say wait 3 months I think they are meaning the smoke or any smoke for that matter, I mean come on people with ulcerative colitis, cancer etc eat the edibles to help them, the only thing is for edibles, you are on liquids and then mush for the first 3-4 weeks depending on your dr, so edibles should be broth, or creamed Soups, no sugars etc. if I were you I'd tweak the directions of food for the edibles to be right so you don't cause any leaks with solids etc. maybe some in tea. Even the Vape may cause some issues so for while your stomach is healing from being cut by 80% and that removed and while your staples and stitch is healing to stay clean and then talk to your dr tell the dr so they can help you incorporate it back into your regiment. But that's my opinion always check with your doctor.

Good luck! Congrats on your 85 days and so rude that they are doing a hair follicle test.

I would think edibles would be better than smoking it especially if ulcers are a concern. Isn't there oils you can use as well during your restricted period? Maybe that would help.

Hi Jake

I am a recreation smoker as well. I had stopped smoking 2 months prior to surgery as advised by my doctor. My doctor told me to wait at least three months after surgery before I start back. My surgery was on May 12 2015. I have lost 52lbs so far. My three month period ended last week August 12th. I smoked for the first time this weekend. I had no problems at all it was great I did have the munchies feeling after I just made sure I had some fruit with me ate that and I was fine. Life does not end after you have the surgery like people think. I enjoyed my life just as I did before surgery. I pretty much eat the same food I did before minus soda and fried food. Just a lot less. I still have 40lbs to go before I reach my goal weight. I know I will make it. And will continue getting my little buzz along the way. Good luck

Hi,

I M Pre op, I have a really bad back (double discectomy/laminectomy) and in order to prep for the gastric bypass surgery. I have to stop all NSAIDS, these are important to me as they prevent pain to a certain degree. I have a friend who controls pain with medical marijuana. I am in the process of getting my license for medical marijuana. I plan on making tea with it as this is probably a better way to enjoy the pain control benefits of Cannabis. If I cannot use NSAIDS anymore, I have to come up with alternatives to control pain. vaporizer if not an option, tea will be.

Cheers,

Thanks this is great advise. I want to make large batches of Cana butter and add this too the Soup. Would this work

Question for anyone out there experienced with this. As canna butter uses butter as the base, will this cause dumping syndrome?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It’s crazy because I’m six days postop and I’ve been smoking marijuana every since I came back from the hospital the nurses and And my surgeon told me that it will be OK for me to smoke because of the nausea and to avoid dumping syndrome when I start taking in soft foods so I’m not sure about everybody else but one thing about it has been helping me also I have increase Anxiety after having the surgery So it’s definitely been coming in clutch until I can make me a butter for my food

I would like to emphasize that we should distinguish between the concepts related to street drugs, illicit cannabis trafficking and medical cannabis, from which medicines are made. I liked https://highthc.shop/product-category/thc-vape-pen/, too. There are studies confirming cannabidiol properties as an anti-inflammatory, its effects on pain relief, nausea - especially in patients on chemotherapy. Cannabidiol may be a good solution for patients for whom nothing else works.

Edited by andrzejrule