Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just posing a question, not looking for an argument

It was a long hard process to decide to get my sleeve versus bypass, or band, but after seeing both here and in my experiences in talking with fellow bypass vets, why are they still allowing the Band procedure?

I keep seeing alot of negative reports and alot of conversions from band to sleeve, or bypass, my preference was sleeve because I didn't want a portal under my skin and having adjustments made often, and I didn't choose the bypass because I was in fear of altering my whole abdominal system, so why the Band still????

I'd love to hear from Banders and would humbly listen to any point of view!!!

Hi, I was originally interested in the band (seemed less invasive). When I found my doctor, I found out that he won't do the band anymore. He said he got to where he was taking out more than he was putting in so he felt it wasn't effective and had too many long term side effects. I ended up going with the sleeve and I'm happy with my choice.

Plain and simple. I didn't like the idea of a port. Also, I thought with getting part of my stomach removed, I'd have an easier time losing weight.

Not what you ask. lol! I need to read and not scim.

My surgeon does mostly sleeves. I am sure that the band is still a viable option for some people. As in most things, as procedures and innovations are refined and adapted, and more data/experience is accumulated, there become more options.

My surgeon stopped doing band surgery a few years ago. He said there were too many issues with them for his comfort any more.

My surgeon no longer does the band, either. He says there have been to many problems with it.

I do notice with the band that the people who have had success with it, REALLY have success with it. Like getting to even below goal weight and most importantly, KEEPING it off long term.

Unfortunately we are seeing more problems than successes.

IDK on band either but I'm a sleever. I am unsure why dr's still do it, but guess because ppl still want it. It's the recidivism rate that I wish more dr's would speak to with banders and what the erosion/having a band on your stomach can do. I don't mean that to sound judgmental. It takes a lot of courage to have any procedure IMHO, but I do wish dr's that do a band with someone educate them on the worst of the worst (same with sleeve or bypass). Get allll the facts before you decide on the avenue.

When I first met my surgeon I imagined having a band as it was the cheaper option but he immediately explained that he doesn't do many anymore due to the rising complications and success rates, with many patients converting to sleeve or bypass. It does seem it is on the way out as doctors learn more and more about bariatric surgery and what works and doesn't work long-term.

The surgeon I am going to doesn't do the band any longer either. I'm not sure about the Bypass.

When I first saw him, I had done research on all three procedures and told him I would prefer the sleeve and he said that is what he would recommend for me.

I knew I didn't want the band, don't want all that plastic in me, or the poking for the portal with a needle! ICK Besides, the stomach is still there.

I also knew that I didn't want the bypass, re-routing my internal organs doesn't appeal to me. Again, the stomach is still there.

With the sleeve, you keep the original input to the stomach, you keep the original output from the stomach, it's just the stomach (85% of it) that is removed. AND what they remove is what causes the hunger pangs. THAT is what I wanted.

It seems I no longer have any control over my hunger, I never seem to feel full.

This new balloon procedure they have come out with, it just doesn't seem like it would work too well. For one thing, the stomach is still there. For another, it's not permanent. Also, what does stomach acid do to that balloon? Do you have to have another one inserted? Just doesn't sound too good to me.

Then again, I want this done once. Remove the majority of the stomach, give me a tool in order to get control back. Done

BUT, as with everything, each person has to make the decision that fits their situation the best.

It was a long hard process to decide to get my sleeve versus bypass, or band, but after seeing both here and in my experiences in talking with fellow bypass vets, why are they still allowing the Band procedure?

I keep seeing alot of negative reports and alot of conversions from band to sleeve, or bypass, my preference was sleeve because I didn't want a portal under my skin and having adjustments made often, and I didn't choose the bypass because I was in fear of altering my whole abdominal system, so why the Band still????

I'd love to hear from Banders and would humbly listen to any point of view!!!

My Surgeon no longer does the band procedure

I did the band 5 years ago and had nothing but trouble from the band. I have an Aunt and friend who have the band and love it. I recently have removed and I am a sleever. Best decision of my life. The diet right now is a little strict considering I lift in the gym and have much muscle. Trying to maintain till I can go back hard again. But worth the process for the fact no more restriction on my esophagus.

My surgeon no longer does the band and encourages people to not get them from other docs either. He recommends the sleeve usually, but does perform the bypass

I had the band and just had revision surgery to the sleeve last Tuesday. The band never worked for me and I tried to utilize it as a tool to the best of my ability. My doctor said it just doesn't work for some people. I had it for 2 years and lost 30 pounds. It wasn't worth it!