Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb loading the day before a big hike

I hike two miles everyday during the week. On Saturday I do a big hike of 13 miles. This is a very technical hike with lots steep inclines. I was wondering if it would be ok to carb load the day before. I eat throughout the hike but around mile 8-9 I am spent due to lack of intake.

hikergirl14,

If you feel good about your diet and you feel like you’re comfortable with and able to take in some extra carbs the day before your hike, you could try it and see how you feel. There are three other things that come to mind, too. One is hydration – are you drinking about 8 oz. per 20-40 minutes during the hike? Another is fueling during the hike – after about an hour, are you taking in some carbs every so often?

And the third thing is that you might just get tired at 8-9 miles because that’s about what you’re currently trained for. If you do 2 miles regularly, a 13-miler is HUGE. I don’t know how long you’ve been doing that for, but you might not be at the point where you’re yet able to finish strong. Maybe in a few weeks, those last few miles will get easier.

Good for you for your awesome accomplishmnents!

I'm not sure carb loading the day before would help. I run half marathons and now a marathon and the most recent studies show carb loading is not the most efficient way to fuel. 100 calories of carbs every 30-45 minutes after the first half hour is a much better way to fuel.

I have been doing this for the last 5 months. Time restrictions keep me to two miles a day during the week. The problem I have is eating 100 calories every 45 minutes. I am 3 months post op and still can only handle 1/4 cup of food at a time. It takes me 3 hours to down just one cliff bar. So it is hard to keep up the intake during the hike. I drink about 72 oz during the long hike.

I have been doing this for the last 5 months. Time restrictions keep me to two miles a day during the week. The problem I have is eating 100 calories every 45 minutes. I am 3 months post op and still can only handle 1/4 cup of food at a time. It takes me 3 hours to down just one cliff bar. So it is hard to keep up the intake during the hike. I drink about 72 oz during the long hike.

Oh there are LOTS of ways to get 100 calories in only a tablespoon of food!

Check out the options at a local REI or running store. GU's and honey stingers and Beans and gummies all with quick acting carbs and electrolytes. My favorites are called Bonk Breakers because they are more whole food based, so are honey stinger products and they have wafers gels and gummies. Even Jelly Belly makes sports Beans. Cliff actually makes some whole food gu's out of sweet potatoes and the like, they are awesome!

Or get electrolyte replacement drinks powders or tablets to add into your Water. Carbs and electrolytes all at once. At 50 calories per 8oz that's 450 calories of carbs right there in your 72oz so that's good for more than 5 hours of hiking right there.

Or make your own fuel--one of my favorites is simple--1c dried fruit, 1c dates, 1c nuts and 1T vanilla in a food processor. Then roll into 1T sized balls. I have another recipe that includes Protein powder coconut flour and PB2. 100 calorie balls are about a tablespoon size.

I've worked on this fueling for exercise for about a year now and it's tricky at first till you find your groove, but very do able! I have similar restriction even at more than a year and a half out so I totally understand!

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try out your recipe.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try out your recipe.

Process the lot of in the food processor till it's about the consistency of the inside of a fig newton. Sometimes I will roll the balls in coconut flour, almond meal or just shredded unsweetened coconut so they are easier to pack and handle.

I have no answer. Just wanted to say I want to go with you! I had total knee replacement surgery, partially due to previously being obese. I'm stuck at home!

BTW, 13 miles. I'm impressed. I was doing six a couple times a week. Accidentally got turned around once and did 11.

Thanks so much sweet tea. I was running up to five miles daily until I hit 275. So I have always been able to do distance related activities. My friends call me the mule because I can just keep going. After surgery it has been a lil harder but I intend to keep at it.

I have found that setting a goal is what keeps me motivated. I intend to run the Leadville 50k in July 2016. I am also currently competing to complete the castle rock canyon 100 mile challenge. I have knocked out 41 miles in two weeks so that goal is well within reach.

@@hikergirl14

My son calls me linebacker - because I push through things and nothings stops me. He also calls me hippy for my views and the way I dress at times.