Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcoholic beverages

Yes, I think the smaller stomach increases the alcohol absorption.

I'm hoping to get at least a year post op before I even consider this.

It's already been over four months since I quit beer-liquor. I don't miss it and don't want to fool with it.

I simply want to follow the plan strictly and be done with being fat.

Edited by Dub

Roxie Malone I understand where you are coming from and I can do without, however as part of my job I have to be at social functions and need to blend in I'm not thinking about drinking every day just when the occasion calls for it. What I don't want to happen when I'm I. Those situations is to drink something that would cause me throw up because of either carbonation or too much sugar in the drink.

Thank you all for the suggestions I really appreciate the feedback. I might have to start liking wine ????

Agreed. I've never heard of a job that forces one to drink or they'll get fired. You can be social and around alcohol without drinking yourself. For someone to go so far as to remove an internal organ but then to break one of the most basic rules of success sounds like a dependancy issue. Just like food addiction, it needs to be addressed.

I know for me, being overweight was a constant process of making deals with myself. "Just one can't hurt" or "I'll only eat half, that won't be soooooooo bad". But what 30 years of obesity has taught me is it's never just one and there's NO way that other half will get thrown away.

Especial given that one of the posters here said they won't drink without their spouse because they make bad food decisions when they drink??

Red flag. Red flag. Red flag.

Everyone here is a grown adult responsible for their own decisions. But going into this with the mind set that "just one is okay" is setting yourself up for total failure.

I don't think anyone here that is seriously wanting to lose weight has the mindset that "just one is okay", whether that is about food, alcohol, drugs, or whatever vice one may have. With that being said, the vast majority of those having bariatric surgery had to jump through several hoops for insurance to approve them. One of those hoops were a psychological evaluation. I won't get into the medical criteria for alcohol addiction, but I think @@Roxie Malone can tell the difference between having a social drink vs drinking alcohol everyday because one cannot stop.

Lastly, no one will be 100% perfect with their diet. It's not possible. Can you honestly say that you will never eat a piece of pizza ever again? I know I can't and I won't. The key is moderation.

I drink beer but I have to pour it in a glass to get some of the bubbles out. Wine and sweet drinks give me terrible heart burn that's actually debilitating it's so painful. I do drink Vodka with diet cranberry juice or light orange juice and I love a bloody mary.

I had my first drink at about 3 months out when I was on vacation with my family. My experience was that I got super drunk, super fast from one small drink. I also sobered up pretty quickly.

I have a beer or three once a week or so. No big deal.

Alcohol has absolutely no nutritional value. food is supposed to keep us alive, not give us pleasure. Can you just do without? One drink can equal all you're daily calories.

Not quite sure life is meant to be so... sterile. I don't drink but rarely myself but if I lived my life worrying about whether every thing I ever ate fit an ideal of nutritional value then I don't think it would be much of a life...

Edited by Santiago Draco

I'm at a function now...having Grey Goose and Water with Grape Mio. Have a good time while on this journey everyone! Too many people are up tight. We are changing so many other habits to combat obesity...we need an outlet as well.

And drinking alcohol is not against my surgeon's plan. I'm allowed to drink after six months. Some are allowed after two months, some after a year, and some plans say never. I'm perfectly happy following my surgeon's plan for success. I've been successful this far!

Bourbon or whiskey no problems and low in calories.

I like fru-fru drinks like frozen daiquiris. I'm only able two get 2 down and it takes ALL night. I also like hurricanes. Watch it though. Alcohol hits harder than before. One or two drinks and I'm done.

Having a drink every once in a while is not cheating, it is what some of us like to do.

I can drink wine no problem but I waited till a year out to drink a full glass of wine. With my meal, oops 20 minutes after my meal. No problem with it but the calories do add up.