Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I had lap band November 2011. This worked well for a while. I lost about 80 pounds, until I had complication Nov 2014. I had problems with vomiting everything I would eat, so my previous surgeon ordered an upper GI and esophageal manometry. Both of those tests confirmed I had a prolapse. Long story short, my insurance company made me switch to a different surgeon. I had my band and port removed 8/10/15. My new surgeon said that my band had also slipped and was sitting sideways which was causing me to have the vomiting. He also did an intra-op EGD to look at my esophagus to see if there was any damage from 9 months of vomiting. He said it didn't look too bad,but I needed to continue my Zantac and Prilosec. He said he had to remove the adhesions(scar tissue) from the band. I am not going to lie, the port removal and scar tissue removal is painful! It was supposed to be an outpatient procedure and go home same day, but I ended up staying the night in the hospital due to pain control and I am really glad I did. IV Dilaudid was the only thing that was helping my pain. They eventually switched me to percocets and that seemed to help with the pain. I am attaching a picture of the port site. I am now 4 days post-op band and port removal and I am still taking percocets for pain, but it is improving. I will be revising to Gastric bypass in late October, early November based on my surgeon's recommendations and my history of GERD. My insurance company wouldn't allow me to have the revision done in 1 surgery, so it has to be done this way. I am interested in hearing from those who have had band to bypass and what their experiences were.

There were 3 total incisions. 2 small ones which don't bother me at all, and one large painful incision where port was. This larger incision is the mean monster. post-121268-0-77695200-1439498150_thumb.jpg

One individual in our Bariatric Support Group meetings had a lap band to RNY revision. His band was wearing into his stomach and had to be removed. When they did the RNY because of the scaring he had to have a smaller pouch. It meant that he had to eat smaller meals than most but he was fine with that. He was very pleased with the revision.

Great to hear! I initially was seeking revision to sleeve, but with my history of GERD problems and with the scarring from my band, my new surgeon told me that I would most likely would have the same problems with the sleeve. He also said the surgery with the bypass would be easier versus the sleeve. Looking forward to bypass and I have a great support system. Looks like you have done well with your bypass, Congrats!!! What are your challenges or struggles?

@@Dream4tc insurance companies sometimes make things difficult when one would think our health would be the priority. I am another revisionist (lol). Even though I was in the usual pain post-op I had a relief from having that band removed that I can't describe. It was like a weight removed from my intestines even though the band was empty for a while. I ended up staying in revision surgery longer because of multiple adhesions. Regardless of what I have been through with the RNY, it is worth it no regrets. I had the lap band in 2012 lost about 30 pounds and suffered with vomiting and pain up until my revision late last year. Congrats on your upcoming revision.

Edited by Trayjay33

@@Trayjay33 I completely agree with you about the insurance thing. How have things been going with your RNY? It sounds like you were able to get your band removed and RNY in the same surgery which is great! My insurance company is making me do this in 2 surgeries. They still consider the revision as a whole new surgery and I have to go through the 5 month supervised physician diet, which I have been doing since April of this year. I knew their requirement, so now I really don't need to wait. I am just waiting to give my body time to heal from this removal. How has your recovery been and any problems along the way? How has your weight loss been?

@@Trayjay33 I completely agree with you about the insurance thing. How have things been going with your RNY? It sounds like you were able to get your band removed and RNY in the same surgery which is great! My insurance company is making me do this in 2 surgeries. They still consider the revision as a whole new surgery and I have to go through the 5 month supervised physician diet, which I have been doing since April of this year. I knew their requirement, so now I really don't need to wait. I am just waiting to give my body time to heal from this removal. How has your recovery been and any problems along the way? How has your weight loss been?

Overall, RNY has been positive! With anything there can be setbacks. I developed a ulcer early out but that resolved. I had some issues with fatigue which hopefully is gone for good. The usual issues you probably see on the forums such as Constipation, taking Vitamins daily and watching nutrition intake is ongoing at this point. I am 10 months out so I am still learning my body. I am not in maintenance phase yet. As far as weight loss, it's been good. I'm about 20 pounds from my goal weight. I don't know what your food vices are but I cannot tolerate any high sugary foods which is a big deal for me. I did have the revision & removal at once but I think it's great that your surgery date is coming up. At least you will be healed like you said and ready for the bypass. BTW my joint pain, high blood pressure and pre-diabetes is gone so it's been good. You will have to experience it to totally understand what I mean but I feel if people need RNY it's a great option.

Overall, RNY has been positive! With anything there can be setbacks. I developed a ulcer early out but that resolved. I had some issues with fatigue which hopefully is gone for good. The usual issues you probably see on the forums such as Constipation, taking Vitamins daily and watching nutrition intake is ongoing at this point. I am 10 months out so I am still learning my body. I am not in maintenance phase yet. As far as weight loss, it's been good. I'm about 20 pounds from my goal weight. I don't know what your food vices are but I cannot tolerate any high sugary foods which is a big deal for me. I did have the revision & removal at once but I think it's great that your surgery date is coming up. At least you will be healed like you said and ready for the bypass. BTW my joint pain, high blood pressure and pre-diabetes is gone so it's been good. You will have to experience it to totally understand what I mean but I feel if people need RNY it's a great option.

That's awesome! How did you develop an ulcer? What were your symptoms? Were you on any antacids prior to revision? My biggest weakness is sugar, especially ice cream. Which Calcium supplement do you take? I have been taking sublingual B12 and Vitamin D as a liquid drop. My current Multivitamin is a one a day Gummy but I know that I will most likely have to switch to a chewable with the RNY. Which ones do you take? Do you have problems with constipation with RNY? I definitely don't want that to occur. I have a history of diverticulosis, with my first attack about 1.5 years ago and that was horrible! I take a Fiber gummy daily for that too. What do you do to prevent that? That is great that you are feeling better! 20 pounds to goal is awesome!!! I bet you are so excited!

Everyone's body is different, I don't know why I developed the ulcer but it's fine now. Please don't over think it. The symptoms were nausea, vomiting with a small amount of blood and epigastric pain. No prescription antacid pre-op. Pain was more noticeable when I drank something. That was about 3-4 weeks post-op. Vitamins were slowly introduced because that's what my Doctor recommended. Now I take mini caltrate, but other people take other kinds of Calcium so check with your Doctor. gummy vitamins are not recommended early on after surgery. There are many chewable Multivitamins out there I use Centrum. Re: Constipation, it's getting easier to manage as I learn my body. You will learn a bowel regime that works for you. People have used Miralax, Colace etc. discussing those options with your MD especially with the diverticulosis history would be good.

Where was the ulcer at specifically? I have read alot about that possibility and the info that I read was on ulcers developing at the reanastamosed sites. Are you on any prescription antacid now?

Where was the ulcer at specifically? I have read alot about that possibility and the info that I read was on ulcers developing at the reanastamosed sites. Are you on any prescription antacid now?

Hmm...I don't remember where it was. I am on a prescription meds for reflux now. Things have been ok with that. What makes you read up so much on ulcers?

Hmm...I don't remember where it was. I am on a prescription meds for reflux now. Things have been ok with that. What makes you read up so much on ulcers?

I am a nurse, can't help it. haha! I research everything especially if it is something that I can prevent. I am very proactive instead of reactive. I have been on Zantac twice daily and also Prilosec twice daily for quite a long time. I am hoping with being on those medications, I won't develop any after bypass.

Lol, I'm a Nurse as well. I guess when I was going through it I was more involved not now. I used to get wrapped up in overthinking what ifs myself but not so much now. I guess my advice would be not everyone is a textbook case. Trust your Doctors and continue to be excited about the wonderful chance of having RNY.

I have been miserable with this band since day one .I had it in 2004...lost 35 pounds and now right back to where I started.....Up until this week I have been trying to talk myself into the sleeve but after My upper GI today...the radiologist showed me my reflux on real time and that it!! I want a revision to the RNY...no more hesitating....I want the "Gold Standard".No more quick fixes...I can't afford ulcreration or sleeve leakage and I need to lose about 125 pounds...Bypass please.

I have been miserable with this band since day one .I had it in 2004...lost 35 pounds and now right back to where I started.....Up until this week I have been trying to talk myself into the sleeve but after My upper GI today...the radiologist showed me my reflux on real time and that it!! I want a revision to the RNY...no more hesitating....I want the "Gold Standard".No more quick fixes...I can't afford ulcreration or sleeve leakage and I need to lose about 125 pounds...Bypass please.

When they took out the band did you have to stay overnight?