Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really, What is the Straight Skinny Post-Op?

The best book if you want to learn how to think differently about food and overcome sabotaging thoughts is Dr. Beck's The Complete Beck Diet for Life.

She uses CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) strategies to help change your thinking so that you can overcome food addictions. Reading through the book is like therapy lessons from a diet coach. Its a 5 stage plan in which you make notecards that you read over every morning to help you handle hunger and cravings while giving yourself credit for the changes you make along the way.

I have this book also was able to lose 80 pounds in the past with it ..Need to retrain the brain ..

I am looking into the wls and I am very concerned about the head hunger. I have been successful at losing significant weight on medical weight loss and other programs before but feel I tend to let the head hunger sabotages me at some point never achieving my goal. My question is has someone tried having a counselor while undergoing weight loss programs in the past. I guess a part of me dreads that I will sabotage myself. I can be good at following something but then tend to get bored and tend to want to add more carbs ...not always unhealthy but occasionally yes. I have a sweet tooth. Do most people go on and live lives without the need of going to support groups or counselors for like the rest of their lives? Thanks still on the fence about weight loss surgery I have come so far and feel I don't have much to go but I am terrified to gain the weight back.

@@pimmar It is very common to get counseling throughout the WLS process and afterward. As you often hear on these forums, you have surgery on your stomach, not your brain. So counseling is a necessary step for many people. I would strongly recommend it, at least in the beginning, if you think you will need the extra support.

I started seeing a shrink two months pre-op. I will see him for three years:

The year of losing weight (I already did that and have been maintaining for 4 months now)

The year of maintaining my weight

The year of boring real life.

That's my plan. So far, it's working. :)

My bypass surgery is tomorrow morning at 10:30.

I've done the clear liquid diet with Protein shakes for two weeks now. Yesterday and today just Clear liquids and no Protein shakes. Yesterday I did the GoLytely purge but not much other than liquid came out. I feel no energy but have been drinking to get rehydrated. I'm ready! This past two weeks has been one of the most difficult things I've had to do and I am not really hungry anymore. It's been a long road to get here as I've been contemplating the surgery since 2011.

I hope your surgery went well and you have an uneventful recovery,

Be sure and let us know how you are doing when you are up to it.

The surgery went well but I regretted it and wished I hadn't had it later that day and also the following day. I felt so horrible with so much gas pain and discomfort. I couldn't see beyond those moments. I actually cried for a minute then sucked it up because I couldn't do anything about it anyway.

Now, I'm glad I had it as I see the weight melt off. I've lost over 20 lbs since the surgery, which is way more than I ever thought I would. I've lost one of my chins so far, my wedding ring fits better and my ankle swelling is almost non-existent.

I'm doing well with getting my Protein in. I almost hurled when I tried all other Protein Shakes but the Premier Protein is tolerable, not great, but not hurling. It's still pretty sweet, which I could care less for now.

I just got my drain out today. Boy, did that not feel great at all! I'm so glad it's out though. There was a clot in it that was too big to get out of the tiny hole so it just hung around. Made me want to puke looking at it. lol

I haven't worn jeans yet, but will be wearing them tomorrow as I'm showing one of my horses to a prospective buyer and we're meeting at a trail head to go for a ride.

I'm struggling with getting going with exercise. I still feel a general abdominal discomfort, not pain though. After my appointment, hubby and I went shopping for a home gym. I used to love to use that when I was in the Navy. The surgeon wants me to start toning with weight training but not work my core yet. Cardio has always been my weakness. I have a super hard time with cardio. Even when I weighed 130 on active duty, it was a struggle to do all the running. I did it but HATED every minute of it. I have to find a way to rectify that. I do have a stationary bike/elliptical combo that we are moving to our family room in the basement with the home gym. That way I can listen to music or watch tv while I do it and not bother anyone with the noise.

We have an above ground pool, but I can't get in for 2-3 days until my spot where the drain came out is good and sealed (Drs orders). I like to paddle around. I don't know if I can call it swimming, but I'm moving anyway and also like to walk against the resistance. Too bad we live in Michigan and we can go from 90 to blizzard in no time. lol Okay not really but pool season is almost over.

My experience has been so good all around I'm afraid to say too much. I don't want to jinx myself.

I'm 59 years old. 5'7".

RnY June 30 this year. I'm 2.5 months out.

Yes. My taste buds did change. I can eat anything. I haven't found a single thing that bothers me.

I had a bite of a hamburger Labor Day. We had a big BBQ to Celebrate our new deck!

It was my DH's burger and it just didn't taste good at all. Didn't make sick but one bite was plenty to know I don't want any more.

I have had a little bowl of a whole wheat hot Cereal every morning to help with Constipation. This has been for 20 years. And I like the stuff. It's good. About 7 weeks or so after the surgery I made a bowl, like every morning, and the smell made me feel a little like gagging. I couldn't eat a bite of it.

Little things like that have changed. But it's not bad. Just a change.

I don't get hungry. I use MyFitnessPal to keep track of what I'm taking in to help me get what I need. I drink at least one Protein Shake a day to make sure I'm getting the Protein I need. It tracks the carbs and fats to keep me responsible.

At this point I don't have any reminders that I've had the surgery. Life is normal and comfortable.

The reminder is there when I get my tiny tummy filled. After a few bites I'm done.

You will enjoy your new life.

My experience has been so good all around I'm afraid to say too much. I don't want to jinx myself.

I'm 59 years old. 5'7".

RnY June 30 this year. I'm 2.5 months out.

Yes. My taste buds did change. I can eat anything. I haven't found a single thing that bothers me.

I had a bite of a hamburger Labor Day. We had a big BBQ to Celebrate our new deck!

It was my DH's burger and it just didn't taste good at all. Didn't make sick but one bite was plenty to know I don't want any more.

I have had a little bowl of a whole wheat hot cereal every morning to help with Constipation. This has been for 20 years. And I like the stuff. It's good. About 7 weeks or so after the surgery I made a bowl, like every morning, and the smell made me feel a little like gagging. I couldn't eat a bite of it.

Little things like that have changed. But it's not bad. Just a change.

I don't get hungry. I use MyFitnessPal to keep track of what I'm taking in to help me get what I need. I drink at least one Protein Shake a day to make sure I'm getting the Protein I need. It tracks the carbs and fats to keep me responsible.

At this point I don't have any reminders that I've had the surgery. Life is normal and comfortable.

The reminder is there when I get my tiny tummy filled. After a few bites I'm done.

You will enjoy your new life!

I don't know how I did that. Posted twice. Oh well.