Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation time. Partay?

I'm going on my third annual road trip to the Ashland Shakespeare festival this weekend. Last year, I was in full on weight loss mode and my eating style was very conservative. This year I am below goal and in maintenance. I'm trying to decide how I'm going to behave on vacation. I know I can't go back to my old hedonistic (and fat) ways and have a non-stop bacchanal, but since my goal is to learn to manage my weight for the rest of my life, I think I need to allow more treats while on vacation. I guess I should ask myself, "what do skinny people do?" And try to do that. How do you all handle vacations?

I am trying to figure that out. I'm going to Cancun next week on a girls trip and I'm very nervous. Looking forward to reading the wisdom of others.

Two things I have planned for my trip is to continue my workout schedule at the hotel and request a set of scales in my room so I can monitor my weight and ensure that I don't start gaining.

I had a recent vacation. I found that although I had a few things that I usually don't have (like a small scoop of ice cream every day) I came back a couple of pounds lighter. I was WAY more active than I would have been 90 lbs ago. I'd like to say ice cream = weight loss, but um, no, lol.

I say don't sweat it. Enjoy.

Let loose, be bold, laugh, enjoy! Do what you want to do and don't let anything hold you back! Dare to try new things! ;)

Love this topic! I understand the fear. We went to Jamaica last year, I was 6 months into maintenance and had surpassed my original WL goal. I went into it with the mindset that I took waaaay too many vacations where I was miserable, wearing a tent, hiding from the world so I opted to enjoy myself but was still conscious of my choices. I didn't deprive myself but I didn't overindulge either. We were on the go constantly so that helped. Whatever you decide to do just know that once you get back into your regular routine the weight you may see come on will come right back. Have fun, enjoy the time:-) After all that's why we all did this right?

@@amazon, I heard you say ice cream equals weight loss and that's all I needed to hear! LOL.

@@enjoythetime, I am afraid that the weight I put on will not come right back off. I have witnessed some pretty disappointing regains in my family and I don't want to follow in their footsteps.

After all that's why we all did this right?

@@enjoythetime Great point! We did this so we could start enjoying life. I've been so focused on what I should and shouldn't eat or drink when I'm on vacation, it never occurred to me that I should be focused on the fun. Old habits die hard, my life doesn't revolve around food anymore.

food does not equal fun. I'll probably need to remind myself of that a few more times.

@@IcanMakeit I know and completely understand your fear. I have the same fear but I refuse to let that fear dictate my life. Some days I do let it take over but then I realize that it doesn't do anything for me accept take the joy out of our accomplishments. It's ok to treat yourself and you can do this in a careful way. I know I used hate it when people would say this but it really is the truth its all about calories in vs. calories out so while you may have a few more treats on vacation and some of those calories may stick for a while when you get back home and hit the normal routine (less calories in more burned) it has no choice but to come back off.

@@amazon Right on girl!:-)