Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October surgeries?

My paperwork should be submitted by the 1st week if Sept. I am hoping for an October date. I am sleeve to RNY revision. I had my 1st surgery 10/1/12...

Ok ladies I need a lil advice, please respond if you can.

So I'm a special ed teacher. Our school starts 9/8/15. I've already started back to work. My RNY is scheduled Oct 12th. My last appointment is 9/30/15. The delimema is my daughter goes to school with me. It's easier because we ride to and from school together. No need for childcare. I've decided to take the first week off and do half days on the 2nd week. My NUT says that's absolutely doable. The delimema is having someone drop off my daughter too and from school for the first week. I'm praying that my mother will stay with her during my 2 night stay in the hospital. My fiance will be staying me. However, I told him he can go to work Tuesday and Wednesday. Prayerfully I can be discharged on Wednesday. My fiance can leave work to pick me up. Other issue I have not told my mother about this surgery. She will not approve, she's EXTREMELY judgemental, and I'm not so sure she'll be supportive and help me with my daughter. They have a close relationship. She might, but in spite of my decision for this surgery she may not help me. I'm not used to getting help with taking of my daughter. The other problem, I have no leave. All the time I'll be off will be LWOP. My fiancé also works PT in the evening. So he would not be home to care for my daughter and myself. I would need my mother's help. My fiance can't take off for his PT, he will be starting his new position mid to late September. He's a little more flexible with his day job. He can work from home during the day once I've been discharged, which is why I thought he could work during some of my stay in the hospital. He's been extremely supportive through the entire process. He attended the seminar, viewed the webinar, and attended all my appts in this process.

I'm wondering if I should attempt to see if I should postpone my surgery until Dec. I have 2 weeks off for winter break. If so, I won't need anyone to help with pick up and drop off with my daughter. I won't use any leave that I will have accrued by then. I won't have to worry about LWOP. I'll have a full 2 weeks to recover. I just don't want to wait. I'm excited to have this procedure. I can start to finally shed this insulation suit. I want to start this. I always put myself on the back burner. I don't want to be selfish, but I feel like I'm being selfish if I don't attempt to postpone til mid Dec. With me being in the hospital and needing some recovery time, I'd need help from a couple of people. I'm not used to that.

Do I push forward and think about me, have the RNY in Oct? Consider everything else and see if it can be postponed to Dec? I apologize for the very long post, I didn't know how to shorten it.

That is a difficult situation. Do you have friends or neighbors, coworkers that would be willing to help. If you don't want them to know what you are having done, you don't have to tell them. Just say surgery without explanation. It's nobody's business unless you want them to know. Without knowing much about your relationship with your mom, I am not sure how much help I can be. Have you tried discussing the many weight loss efforts and options available with her? Does she know how your weight loss struggles have led you to this option? I think you should have a girls day and have a heart to heart with her and tell her how important this is to you and the positive impact this will bring to your life and everyone who loves you. Let her know that you will need her support through this and remind her that she can have some bonding time with her grand daughter. I would speak with her sooner than later, to find out if you either need to find other childcare arrangements if she won't be supportive and help, or if you will need to reschedule to December. My mom and I don't see eye to eye on everything, but she knows that I am a grown adult and will make my own choices, but she has always been supportive with my choices right or wrong. I hope that everything works out so that you don't have to wait. I can tell that are very excited, and that is awesome!!! Best wishes to you and your journey!

That is a difficult situation. Do you have friends or neighbors, coworkers that would be willing to help. If you don't want them to know what you are having done, you don't have to tell them. Just say surgery without explanation. It's nobody's business unless you want them to know. Without knowing much about your relationship with your mom, I am not sure how much help I can be. Have you tried discussing the many weight loss efforts and options available with her? Does she know how your weight loss struggles have led you to this option? I think you should have a girls day and have a heart to heart with her and tell her how important this is to you and the positive impact this will bring to your life and everyone who loves you. Let her know that you will need her support through this and remind her that she can have some bonding time with her grand daughter. I would speak with her sooner than later, to find out if you either need to find other childcare arrangements if she won't be supportive and help, or if you will need to reschedule to December. My mom and I don't see eye to eye on everything, but she knows that I am a grown adult and will make my own choices, but she has always been supportive with my choices right or wrong. I hope that everything works out so that you don't have to wait. I can tell that are very excited, and that is awesome!!! Best wishes to you and your journey!

I agree with everything you said, Dream! Most importantly thbrown, you have to remember why you're doing this and stay the course. Maybe tell your mom she can feel whatever she feels about your choice, but you need her to be there for her grandaughter, as you are going to do this whether she approves or not. Congratulations on your decision and best of luck on the journey. We know what it took to get here, now let's see it through!

Hey everyone! I have been a forum 'stalker' for several months now, but never posted. I began my pre-op process back in April and my last NUT appt is Sept 1. I am scheduled for final PC doc appt on Sept 10th, then my pre-op visit with the surgeon is week of Sept. 14th. As of now, I am "penciled in" for surgery the week of Oct. 5th.

I am very excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel....what a long process of doctor clearances and appointments!! Half way through my process I had to switch surgeons, which was a blessing in disguise. My new surgeon has recommended RNY Bypass instead of Sleeve. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and borderline diabetes. After much research and reading and even a few youtube videos, I realize that I have metabolic syndrome and SOOO ready to fix this!! Recently I have had pain in my feet that really slow me down. And started noticing a 'clicking' in my right knee when I walk. So my body is telling me that it is definitely time to change!

I do have one question.....how much time off of work are you all expecting to take? My surgeon suggests 3-4 weeks. I have an office job and sit in front of a computer most of the day, and have the ability to pack my meals for the day, so I was hoping to only take 3wks including my hospital stay.

MV

Hey everyone! I have been a forum 'stalker' for several months now, but never posted. I began my pre-op process back in April and my last NUT appt is Sept 1. I am scheduled for final PC doc appt on Sept 10th, then my pre-op visit with the surgeon is week of Sept. 14th. As of now, I am "penciled in" for surgery the week of Oct. 5th.

I am very excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel....what a long process of doctor clearances and appointments!! Half way through my process I had to switch surgeons, which was a blessing in disguise. My new surgeon has recommended RNY Bypass instead of Sleeve. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and borderline diabetes. After much research and reading and even a few youtube videos, I realize that I have metabolic syndrome and SOOO ready to fix this!! Recently I have had pain in my feet that really slow me down. And started noticing a 'clicking' in my right knee when I walk. So my body is telling me that it is definitely time to change!

I do have one question.....how much time off of work are you all expecting to take? My surgeon suggests 3-4 weeks. I have an office job and sit in front of a computer most of the day, and have the ability to pack my meals for the day, so I was hoping to only take 3wks including my hospital stay.

MV

I know a few people who work with my husband who were back on the job within a week. They are "computer nerds" so the most taxing thing they lift is a reference book on C++ ???? so I think it sounds reasonable IF you don't have complications, although you might want to make it light duty and let the head "nerd" carry the reference books! ????

My offical date is 10/22!! I can't wait!!!!!!! My MD said 2 weeks as I am a social worker and sit most of the day.

Edited by dancingqueene

@@sweettooth2015 that sound great! I'm so scared of getting denied. I had to gain to get to a 40 bmi b/c my co-morbid conditions weren't enough ugh!! They make this so damn hard!!

Congratulations all of you!! I am an October 2014 RNY gal! :-) so I am looking at my 1 year surg-aversary, Oct 14th

I am at goal weight and down a total of 115lbs. I lost 25lbs during my 6 months of education/preparation classes before surgery.

I took 11 days off work but I had coworkers who knew what I was doing and were supportive I also had the support of my family and boyfriend. I basically told my family they can support me or kiss my booty. It was not fun in the beginning but then as people asked their dumb questions and understood what and why I was doing what I was doing it got better.

I would recommend waiting for surgery until you can be fully taken care of. This is about YOU and YOUR life! I promise if you set things up to be give you the most opportunity to be successful things will be better. You for sure do not want to be stressed during and after your surgery. I know waiting sucks but you have to think of yourself and your precious body.

@@dancingqueene Did you loose weight during your time from when you dirst to the time they submitted your paperwork? I am a 40.1 and so nervous that I will get denied! I do have controlled high bp, mildly high cholesterol and pcos so Im hoping I will be good. I go in for my last nut tomorrow!

Edited by larac05

I have a tentative date of 10/7/15!!! The insurance coordinator just called me! Since I had my initial sleeve surgery abroad they needed documentation of my follow up care to show compliance, which I have. I emailed her my nutritionist log and my post surgery blood work. Tomorrow I will drop off the body fat scan my surgeon did preop and 6 months post op. She said she is seeing the insurance companies ask for more documentation showing compliance so she wants to be sure to send the a complete overview of my sleeve history!!!