Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified: Eating too much 3 1/2 week out?

So...I had like 1100 calories today and am 3 1/2 week out. I'm like scared!!! I met my Protein goals but I think am eating too much fat and carbs (not carbs from bread, rice, etc. but from the actual food) How many calories were you eating by now?

Will be calling my NUT tomorrow. Should I be scared? Am I messing up?

Meal today:

Breakfast: 1 egg, 1 slice cheese, 1 ham

Snack: kiwi

Lunch: 1 chicken sausage link from trader Joe with 1/2 c cooked squash.

Snack: 2 Melba toast with 1oz bean, 2 oz guac, 2 thin slice turkey

Dinner: 2 meatballs with Tomato sauce and 1 mozz cheese 2%

Snack: Greek yogurt

As I write this I feel like HOLY ****!!!! I messed up didn't I???

Tell me your thoughts. GO

Edited by Nyelaah

1100 calories would be a bit much at 3-1/2 weeks out. I am 3 months out and my nutritionist wants me at 800 per day. I would guess the biggest question would be are you losing weight? All of our journeys are s different as the nutritionist's plans out there. What information were you given with how much you should be eating also?

At 3 1/2 weeks I was just starting on soft foods - eating around 600-700 calories. I'm surprised you could eat the eggs and sausage and tolerate them. Were you hungry? Was this a one time occurance or can you consistently eat 1100 calories each day? On the positive side one can still lose weight at 1100 calories. But my main concern for you is that your stomach is In the very early stage of healing...I'm glad you will be talking with your NUT. Also now is the time to take every advantage of little to no appetite...it's a one time opportunity that will only last so long.

All foods are on the soft food list. This was the only time I ate that high. I usually range 600-800 max. I follow the 3 hour rule and the 2-4oz guideline.

Fed talking to NUT. Thanks ladies!

Maybe you just had a hungry day. I just hit 2 months post op and regularly get just over 800 calories per day and it was hard to do that when my NUT first recommended it a few weeks back. She said I should strive for 800-1000 per day.

Wow almost none of that stuff is on my list. I am still on soft baked fish.

I will be 4 weeks tomorrow and the only way I can eat a whole egg is if it is fried and not scrambled, and it is still a struggle.

I would be less worried about the calories than about the texture and Protein.

First, are you reaching your Protein goal with that number of calories?

Second, at three and a half weeks, I was on still on soft foods. Although some of what you listed is soft, I would be concerned about things like the Melba toast and even the kiwi (the seeds might be an issue).

What does your NUT suggest at this stage? Are your food choices in line with your post-op program?

At 3 1/2 weeks out I was still on soft foods. At that point I was struggling to get in 500 calories per day. Now at almost 2 1/2 months out I only eat about 650-700 calories per day. It's kind of amazing how much you can eat in one sitting, you may want to talk to your doctors about it. Even now I can only eat one meatball with sauce and a little cheese, no way I could fit two! At 3 1/2 weeks you should be having between 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food at a time. Do you measure your food or only track calories? You might want to try measuring you food out by volume and only eating that portion of food. I would go back to your doctor and talk with him though, it really does seem a little strange that you could manage that much food at three and a half weeks out. Please let us know what happens....

Yes all foods are in line with my NUT recommendations. I'm also hitting my Protein without shakes and Water levels. Yes I measure my food and log all ingredients on MFP when cooking. I have 2-4 oz of food (after cooking). It's a mystery to me!!

I will def be calling her today!

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I freaked out yesterday but realized that's why it's good to track your food and be mindful. This experience making me realize that I am growing and changing. It's ONE day but definitely won't become an everyday. I want to maximize my sleeve.

I need to take this a step at a time!

Thanks again!

Edited by Nyelaah

I'm 6 weeks out and see surgeon in a week. I am not allowed anything but Protein. No veggies or fruits. Only unsweetened applesauce if i need a carb boost. I don't have a calorie goal from Dr only carb and protein. At 3 weeks I was at soft foods. I am still only able to eat 2 oz max.I know every Dr is different. Would definitely talk to your NUT.

I'm 6 weeks out and see surgeon in a week. I am not allowed anything but Protein. No veggies or fruits. Only unsweetened applesauce if i need a carb boost. I don't have a calorie goal from Dr only carb and protein. At 3 weeks I was at soft foods. I am still only able to eat 2 oz max.I know every Dr is different. Would definitely talk to your NUT.

What is your carb goal?

So...I had like 1100 calories today and am 3 1/2 week out. I'm like scared!!! I met my Protein goals but I think am eating too much fat and carbs (not carbs from bread, rice, etc. but from the actual food) How many calories were you eating by now?

Meal today:

I am 6 weeks out and I could eat 1100 Cals if I tried. I am satisfied with 700-800 mostly. I took some adjustment buy you need to change your expectations from feeling full to feeling satisfied. Also, it seems like you have a similar plan..... Solids after 3 weeks? I had that too and am just fine. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

MarceMonster, my carb limit is between 30-40. That would be hard for me now. I'm only supposed to be eating Protein, no veggies or fruit. Do a milk/ instant breakfast protein drink that is about 14 carbs.

So your Dr. Wants you to be max 40g of carbs per day? Yea, see I can eat fruit and veggies. I try to limit my carbs to 40g per day, because I know my body likes to hold onto carbs. Honestly though this goes against what the NUT at my surgeons office suggests, which is a MINIMUM of 60g per day. That just seems way too high. So I decided to try an experiment and "split the baby" by only counting Net Carbs instead of total carbs like I was counting. So this means that I am getting overall more carbs but I am limiting my Net Carbs to 40 or less per day. Hopefully, this works, if not I will go back to counting my total carbs.

Meal today:

I am 6 weeks out and I could eat 1100 Cals if I tried. I am satisfied with 700-800 mostly. I took some adjustment buy you need to change your expectations from feeling full to feeling satisfied. Also, it seems like you have a similar plan..... Solids after 3 weeks? I had that too and am just fine. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Follow up

So I spoke to my NUT today she said: I should be eating maximum of around 600-700.. Protein 40%, carbs 35%, fat 25%. 2oz of meat protein. I was probably eating highly calorie food so be mindful of portion size--2-4 oz generally is the goal per meal every 3 hours.

I had the sleeve on July 17, I'm 33, 5'6, HW-291, SW-273, CW-247.

Hope this is helpful for someone.

Edited by Nyelaah