Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Backpacking after WLS- How to prepare?

I was sleeved on July 8th. My pre-op weight was 310 and my current weight is 273. I am 5 ft 9 and have always had a "stout" body frame so in comparison to many I was on the smaller scale for WLS. Up until I was about 270 lbs. before WLS, I enjoyed to go backpacking about twice a year. After 270 I couldn't hack it anymore. I've done much of the App Trail and would like to get back to hiking more now that I am getting back in shape and can handle the load. I usually do 2-3 day trips and cover 9-13 miles in a day depending on elevation change. Here's my dilemma: before WLS in order to maintain a consistent energy level throughout the hike a large amount of calories needed to be consumed (around 4-6,000 cals a day to be exact) and now I know that is impossible with my new stomach. Staying hydrated is also important and my Dr. says to sip, sip, sip. Hard to stay hydrated on the trail like that. Anyone out there have any advice on what to do?

I suggest you consult your nutritionist for help with this. You need portable menu ideas in order to get your Protein, and certainly need to stay hydrated. Ask a pro.

P.S. You're only a month out from surgery...better check your doctor for permission to engage in this activity so soon.

I think you may have to put this activity off for a little while. This soon after surgery your energy level may be a little low and making sure you get your Protein and hydration needs met is hard enough when you're just living your day to day life, let alone when you're hiking all day 10 miles from the nearest road. You can make the next trip extra special to make up for the delay.

I'm in a similar situation but I'm 7 months out and just started backpacking again. If youre only a month or so out, id talk to your docs first.

I realized this weekend after doing a 2 day, 15 mile hike, that I should get a bladder so I can take small sips. I've been going long distances without drinking but then can't stop myself from chugging the Water, which I then regret. I'm planning to get a 3L bladder for my next hike.

food wise, I'm not sure what to do yet. I think I'm going to budget to stop every 2 hours for a snack. However, I found I really have to wait 20-30 mins after eating or I'll get nauseous on the ascents. I've been starting the day with a Protein shake pre-hike, then snacking on cheese, summer sausage, kind bars, high Protein granola, etc. throughout the hike.

I give myself a lot of leeway when hiking, considering how many calories I'm burning throughout the day. That's probably not the best tactic though.

7 months out and I can do a lot more than I could pre-surgery but I'm still weak and slow, which I attribute to not being able to get the calories and Water in.

Thanks for all of the advice! I've decided to hold off for a while on hiking anyhow. I was never planning on going in the next weekend or anything. I'm a teacher and am going in October during my fall break. My nutritionist said I should be okay by then because I'd be past 12 weeks out.

Everything I'm going to say you already know as an experienced backpacker, but I'll remind you anyway.

I've backpacked and trekked in North America, Europe and the Himalayas. As we know, slow and steady is the way to go -- stepping, drinking, eating.

First, know that in a few months you'll be drinking a LOT easier, bigger and faster than you are now. By six months, if you're like me, you'll be drinking almost as easily as you did pre-op. So don't worry about getting enough Water down.

And you know how we're told not to drink our calories? On the trail that's actually a great way to keep our furnaces stoked.

Also, it's not just calories we need on the trail, but electrolytes, as in Gatorade and other good sports drinks.

Trail mix, chewed well throughout the day, has about everything you need -- some Protein to support muscles you're breaking down and building, natural sugars you need for energy, and Fiber for keeping your gastrointestinal system moving internally.

I don't think backpacking post-WLS would be tough at all. Your back, hips and knees will think you're a teenager again. :)

I'm nearly 70 years old. Two years ago I was ready for a double knee replacement. Last month my PCP told me not to plan on having the surgery anytime soon. I walk and hike again, and I'm mostly pain free. I don't take Aleve anymore. :)

My new goals for the next few years include hiking the Milford Track and the English Lake District. My life is new again. :)

Everything I'm going to say you already know as an experienced backpacker, but I'll remind you anyway.

I've backpacked and trekked in North America, Europe and the Himalayas. As we know, slow and steady is the way to go -- stepping, drinking, eating.

First, know that in a few months you'll be drinking a LOT easier, bigger and faster than you are now. By six months, if you're like me, you'll be drinking almost as easily as you did pre-op. So don't worry about getting enough Water down.

And you know how we're told not to drink our calories? On the trail that's actually a great way to keep our furnaces stoked.

Also, it's not just calories we need on the trail, but electrolytes, as in Gatorade and other good sports drinks.

Trail mix, chewed well throughout the day, has about everything you need -- some Protein to support muscles you're breaking down and building, natural sugars you need for energy, and Fiber for keeping your gastrointestinal system moving internally.

I don't think backpacking post-WLS would be tough at all. Your back, hips and knees will think you're a teenager again. :)

Thanks for this post! I'm pre-op, and one of the things I've worried about was the possibility of losing out on backpacking. I also go on a few backpacking trips a year, and it's become one of my husband's and my favorite things to do together. But I was so worried about how I'd realistically get the nutrition and Water in.

hopaloa67, did you ever go on your trip? If so, how'd it work out for you? Any tips?

You'll be back to it in no time. Avid backpacker/trek lover here, I started doing it again 6 months post op, I had some very raw feelings around my tummy that took some time to heal and the risk of hernias is enough reason to hold off. I am happy I waited, got my butt handed to me after a 10 mile hike on my first hike back, but felt damn good getting back into it. Now at almost 10 months, I am slowly getting into my usual self, new habits will make energy a bit harder to manage I've noticed.

Focus heavily on Protein and fruit packed trail mixes, I carry a bladder AND a bottle of Water, extra hydration is a must especially to make sure you're getting h2o as you're burning all those calories. Some of the best pre-made trail mix and Jerky I've found is at Epic. It doesn't hurt, settles well into your tummy and it's made of the real stuff (kinda pricey but worthwhile.) I find myself stopping a lot more now than I did pre-op, it's still a healing process, I know it hasn't been a year yet and I'm damn happy I'm where I am. Be patient!

You're trying to lose weight and your body is burning it's fat for fuel right now. You should be in ketosis if your doing low carb. Your energy levels should remain fine without an increase in calories because your body has reserves of fat to use to fuel itself. Keep eating the same amount and go for the burn!!! It won't hurt you at all to have some days of a higher calorie usage.

You may need to consider portable food however. At a month out this could be tricky.