Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana Use After Surgery

i Second That Emotion, Well Said

I know exactly what you mean. If I smoke just a little bowl before working out, I am able to work harder than I can sometimes believe. Miraculous!

Really? When I used to smoke in my younger days (when I had to talk to school 10 miles through waist-deep snow:biggrin2:) all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and watch cartoons. My stoner friends and I would turn the sound off and make up our own dialogues. You actually can work out after smoking?

I wonder if they sell doobies at Curves? In the vending machine next to the cigs?:biggrin:

Really? When I used to smoke in my younger days (when I had to talk to school 10 miles through waist-deep snow:biggrin2:) all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and watch cartoons. My stoner friends and I would turn the sound off and make up our own dialogues. You actually can work out after smoking?

I wonder if they sell doobies at Curves? In the vending machine next to the cigs?:biggrin:

LMAO, if that were the case I would never leave the damn gym!:frown:

I wonder why people feel it nessasary to remind those of us in the U.S. that pot is illegal, and to be quite honest it's not really illegal if you have a perscription, or in some states you have to have more than a ounce on you to be charged with anything. There are plenty of things that are technically illegal that people do all the time. Speeding, littering, Some sexual acts. Its all about personal responsability if I choose to purchase and partake in smoking pot I'm not hurting anyone and I deal with the consiquenses if I do get caught. I don't think responable people are smoking in front of children, and if you are that is bad. And if the illegality makes people stay away then that's there choice, I like to take my chances with johnny law, call me a rebille if you must. BTW in no way do i want to excersize high, that is comfy time.:rolleyes2:

This is ridiculous. Speaking from a standpoint of a therapist - Given, I'm still in school, but It doesn't seem that you are really working on yourself if you need to use any type of addiction to help you through life - addictions do include food and marijuana. I don't want to sound goody-goody. I have definately had my time, however, I would hate to see someone's dream go down the toilet because they had to smoke a joint.

If you are a student of the medical profession you should already be aware that there are NO physically "addictive" properties to cannabis. This must be your first year of "addiction therapy".

The main problem I've seen with pot is that it completely destroys the personal initiative and discipline of SOME users. Just as I would not want to be the 1 in 10,000 who has surgical problems, I wouldn't want to be the person who becomes a sluggish, do-nuttin' pothead.

Granted, not everyone smokes enough to get that lazy about LIVING, but I know 3 men who have already wasted decades of their lives to pot. Men who lost respectable careers, stable families, home ownership. They rent rooms, live on welfare of temporary-part-time jobs, basically earning enough to buy more pot.

Tragic.

Banding offers us a New Life--why not make wise choices that build on that big but single step.

You sure that was pot? It is not even a physically addicting substance. Now if you said heroin, cocaine, crack, or something of that sort i could understand 3 of your friends becoming basically homeless. I guarantee you they were smoking somehting else other than pot.

I am a daily user of marijuana and have no problem with the "munchies", i got over those about 10 years when i started smoking.

Im glad i found this thread i was worried about asking the doctor.

Im wondering if the medicinal properties of marijuana will help with recovery, Symptoms like naseua (sp).

If it turns out it is not advisable before or after surgery i can easily go without, I just wanted to figure whether i could use it post op for the medicinal qualities, because i guarantee they wont send me home with nearly enough painkillers.

Jimbo,

It is not advisable to smoke before surgery, just in case it interfers with the anesthesia...I admit I did the night before and all went well. And it does help with nausea as well... best wishes

God, I would have died this past week without it. The nausea was so bad I thought I was going to throw up my intestines and spleen if I didn't do something. A toke or two set me straight and helped me avoid the dreaded prayers to the porcelain god. It didn't increase my appetite, it just helped me keep down the food I managed to eat.

My doc asked me prior to surgery if I used recreational drugs. I was honest and said, "Yes. Did - did you want me to get you some?" She laughed about it and was a good sport.

It has caused no problems for me, but I'm only a week out. I don't get munchies much with it and if I do, I look for healthy "free" Snacks that I won't regret in the morning.

It does not diminish my ambition or make me a bum. It never has. I understand it might for some people, but I believe people are predisposed to certain behaviors whether they get help from foreign substances or not.

You are who you are and you do what you do. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, find something else. Nirvana is so relative.

Some people are christians (coughjustinsmomcough) and they get high on God. Well, if you believe in the Bible, God killed waaaay more people than pot ever could.

So stick that in your pipe and toke it. :biggrin:

If you are a student of the medical profession you should already be aware that there are NO physically "addictive" properties to cannabis. This must be your first year of "addiction therapy".

Now now, Jimbo. I'm all about people smoking what they want to smoke but you have some misinformation. Every person is different physiologically, psychologically, and neurologically. Addiction takes many forms. Unfortunately, not everyone can smoke pot and be productive in their daily lives. They can't get up and go to work, rear their children, pay their mortgages and they can't see that their issues are directly related to the chemical that they are introducing into their system.

Addiction is simply a behavior pattern that continues even when a person is faced with adverse consequences...i.e., continued usage of a substance after faced with threats of incarceration, rehab, or adverse health concerns.

If you can smoke a bowl like you can have a beer then good on you...that means that you are one of those people that can regulate your behavior and lead a relatively normal life. However, don't negate the fact that there are people that are addicted to substances...like pot...physiologically, neurologically, and psychologically. THC builds up in the brain which chemically changes your brain albeit for a brief period of time. Your brain will function differently than my brain after we smoke the same amount of pot for the same duration of time.

That said...I get drug tested at work...so it's a moot point these days anyway!

Wow! So many weed smokers. I love it. I love comments like, "I pray it's not in front of the children." Is it better if Uncle Bob is drunk in front of the kids, slapping his wife around....you know....since it is legal and all?

If you get blazed and act like a potato in front of your kids, you are an idiot. That has nothing to do with pot.

Actually, I don't like to debate *the pot*, but I did want to say that when I had some surgery done, I was told not to smoke b/c it interferes with the healing of your wounds..just thought I'd throw that out there.

Much enjoyment reading this, glad to hear Katiebug is doin' good!

Peace!

I agree that pot is better than alcohol. Unfortunately it’s illegal and my job does random drug testing.

I am concerned about the smoking in front of kids, though. I’m also that way around drinking around kids. I’ve got neighbors who drink every fricken day and their kids just watch that.

Same with weed – I wouldn’t see a problem with kids knowing about it, but if my babysitter decided to come over high I’d be pissed the same as I would be if they had a few beers beforehand.

That said, I’m not sure why it’s illegal…anyone know? WTH – it grows natural!!!

Oh, I would also like to add that it can be addicting…maybe not chemically, but neither is food – and yet I’m addicted to it. I have the same addiction to food that alcoholics have to alcohol. Behaviors can be modified by it and then we start craving the things that make us feel good.

Again, not knocking it. All things in moderation, though – and not necessarily in front of kids. Whether you’re slapping around the wife, or getting so high you think your big toe is the funniest thing in the world. You got to have your wits about you sometimes, and getting high doesn’t help that.

First, this is not a judgment, just a fact. I had my day in this sunshine. I don't anymore but I don't fault those who want to. ;-) Enjoy!

I wonder why people feel it nessasary to remind those of us in the U.S. that pot is illegal, and to be quite honest it's not really illegal if you have a perscription, or in some states you have to have more than a ounce on you to be charged with anything.

Keep in mind that while a state may have lax rules on the subject and only prosecute over an ounce, or whatever the rule is... marijuana is still illegal in the United States. The federal laws trump state laws and relaxations of the laws... while your local neighborhood city cop may choose not do anything more to you than write a ticket or give you a warning, the feds can shut you down and make life miserable in a little 6x6 cell.

DEA, Title 21, Section 812

Schedule I, item C,:

(17) Tetrahydrocannabinols (aka THC)

I smoke a few days a week and have lost 72 pounds since my band on 10/25. Munchies are an issue, however I just try to keep it under control. sometimes I find that when I smoke, my band tightens so I end up eating less. The coughing hasn't bothered me at all. I did wait a month post op to resume.

I used to be a big beer drinker and now I don't drink at all (like we're told) so I smoke when people drink and I smoke to smoke because I want to. I lead a normal professional life and am losing weight like I should. My Surgeon says I'm his BEST band patient!!!!

You know I have not smoked pot in years,but my surgeon told me do not smoke before surgery and that my friends was it.It don't jive with the anesthesia.I am like ok doc but I don't smoke.