Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana Use After Surgery

Hemlock grows from the good earth too. Ask Socrates what it can do for ya.

I don't have any more issue with pot than I do with alcohol. I spent years being the only sober person among pot smokers and drinkers and mostly I didn't mind it. However when things got down and dirty once neither group were much help until they sobered up.

My significant other had AIDS and he used pot for nausea and for an appetite stimulant. It worked wonders.

My oldest son smoked lots of pot and he has issues with short term memory and now he discovers he has a very low sperm count, both common side effects of pot.

Pot is illegal, and if you grow it, everything you own can be taken from you for manufacturing a controlled substance (at least a few years ago that was the case).

Everything has a price. You just have to reckon if you are willing to pay it.

By the way, I used Chantix to quit smoking and I loved it. It distanced me from my addiction and took away the pleasure. It enabled me to quit. I thought I would always miss smoking, but I don't.

Cheers.

You will be fine.....the only downside is controlling your munchies.....however, it will only take one PB to make you realize you can't munch like you used too! Happy Toking

Toke On, Life Is Too Short To Be Smokeless...

I admit it...smoking weed is my vice, but I lead a very active, productive life. I have an awesome job, and a very fullfilling life. My days are long & my life is fulfilling & the fact that I just happen to smoke every once in awhile does not hold me back from anything I want in this life! It's a mindset. I'd rather smoke weed than drink alcohol any day. I admit, I love it & the only reason it is illegal is because it's such a money maker for the government to keep it illegal. Just another way for them to hold us down.

I'm scheduled to be banded August 29th & was worried about being tested for marajuana use beforehand, but from reading this post it looks like I don't need to quit! :angry:

Hahahaha I'm so glad I just found this thread. I cut back 5 days before my surgery, my anasthesiologist (sp?) told me to just not smoke before my surgery. I had surgery last Thursday and took a couple hits Monday night, it helped with the pain SO MUCH!!!! I was joking that I was gonna call my doctor and suggest perscribing marijuana for pain management after surgery instead of liquid percoset. That stuff made me vsuper nauseous! Although the little coughing fit wasn't too fun, I held my stomach and it passed in a couple seconds. The hours of no pain and fun with my friend were worth it lol.

Edited by Allison

Wow cool thread Keeps things lite

I love easy rider nice point

I promised my best friend I would never quit weed. And I don't think i ever truly will. I can go months without even wanting it but if people are tokin' you know i'm in. As far as munchies go, I NEVER get the munchies. I will however drink all day and night so replacing a beer with a joint sounds like a good strategy in mho. :thumbup:

oooo, I'm probably gonna' get myself yelled at here, but I just want to throw out one thing here . . . and please understand that this is not coming from a judgmental stance but purely from a scientific one. There is a lot of new (credible) research suggesting that smoking pot can trigger schizophrenia in certain people . . . specifically those with a specific gene variant. I am a neuroscience professor and this is what I tell my students . . . IF you have anyone in your family with psychotic problems, I would probably stay away from pot as you may be at higher risk for a nasty gene x environment interaction.

It's not a whole lot different than the role of genes in obesity. Some people can eat whatever they want and never get fat (my husband) and others can eat the same things and just get bigger and bigger (me).

So, just a word of caution and please don't read it as scare tactics or judgment. :thumbup:

wow. I'm glad I found this post. I do use weed a lot. It helps with my bipolar and anxiety a ton. Munchies are the only downside. By the way, I'm in college and graduated high school with a 3.75 GPA and a 31 on my ACT. Another friend of mine took the ACT while high and got a 32. Honestly the people that become lazy and "stupid" while smoking pot...were probably stupid to begin with. I actually smoke with quite a few family members and friends. All of them are intelligent and responsible. I realize I'm 18, but that doesn't make me naive. The biggest downside of weed....the thing that all those anti-drug commercials warn about (losing everything you have b/c of weed) well that's because the law says it's illegal. However if you compared that to crack, etc. Those things actually do ruin your life, whether or not you are caught by cops.

There are just a lot of people right now that are believing a lot of lies we've been told about weed. It's to the point that the government doesn't want to admit they are wrong and they aren't doing as many tests as they should be doing. Anyway the point is, after surgery smoke away! My m*m got the gastric bypass a few years back and smokes occasionaly with no problem whatsoever.

And if you are coughing a lot I would suggest using a bong (preferrably with chambers...they help you take deeper hits without the coughing) and use ice cubes down the "shaft" of the bong to cool the smoke before it enters your lungs.

Happy smoking!

I'm glad this thread is getting action again. I didn't stop smoking for my surgery & have been smoking everyday since then. My weight loss has been going nicely with no problems from my smoking. But yeah, I missed this thread.

I do partake daily I',m gonna hold off for alittle if able haha :confused: oh my!

Edited by Dino