Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Good are You about Not Drinking While Eating?

I'm 4 months post-op and athletic and have rarely made my hydration goal. I find the 15 before/30 after rule annoying but at the risk of stretching my sleeve, I stick to it! You have to really time eating/drinking to work on getting hydrated but it gets way easier as time passes.

For me this is something I have to be constantly diligent about. I have a 30 minute timer on my phone that I will start after drinking and after eating. The hardest part is eating out and convincing the wait staff that they do not need to bring me anything.

I also thought this would be the one requirement that I would have trouble with. Surprisingly, it was pretty easy to adopt after surgery. I never had any trouble with getting liquids down. I pretty much sip all day, but stop at least 15 minutes prior to eating (per my nutritionists requirements). I get full very quickly when eating so I definitely eat my Protein first, then a few veggies. I couldnt imagine trying to drink at the same time. There just isn't any room. I usually resume drinking after 60-90 minutes depending on how my tummy feels.

The first time I took a big gulp of Water after a meal I learned. Got dry heaves almost threw up. That is a good reminder. Drink too much before eating and there won't be room for food

I struggle with this a lot. I found it was such an ingrained habit that I don't even realize I'm doing it. I will say I do usually have to take a tiny sip with my meal just because my food is easily stuck. I had a Nissen about 10 years ago - before my surgery - so I really have to get a little Fluid to help with food buildup in my throat. But just keeping diligent on remembering that all I need is a small sip is my problem.

I thought it would be a problem too but it hasn't been at all. My biggest problem is being disciplined with stopping drinking before I eat. I usually only wait about 10 minutes. After I eat I have to wait an hour so I will feel full longer. Once I start drinking an hour after I have eaten then I start to feel hungry an hour after that. So basically at 2 hours after I have eaten. But even though I am feeling hungry it is not true hunger. I have eaten a snack or tried to drink a Protein Drink but I have found out I am still full so I have to ignore the hunger and "fill up" with Water. There have been occasions depending on what I have eaten that I might need to take a very small sip and swish it around my mouth and then swallow but that's it.

I'M VERY GOOD ABOUT IT... MAYBE ONCE A WEEK I MAY ACCIDENTALLY FORGET AND TAKE A SIP AFTER I'M DONE EATING, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT'S GONNA HURT ANYTHING...

When I was growing up we were not allowed to drink with meals. The thought was kids would fill up on liquids, not eat all their food then be hungry later. I changed this as an adult, but I still did not drink much while eating. I used to drink a full glass of Water before I started eating to try and prevent myself from over eating.

So it is easy to eat without drinking right now. When I first started on soft foods I had to take the tiniest of sips once or twice when food felt like it was stuck, but the real solution to that is to take small bites, chew well and eat slowly so you don't over eat.

Once you are sleeved you will feel the difference. When you are struggling to eat one egg, you won't want to try and slip some Water in.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I have trouble with this rule too ... and I drink tiny sips when I eat if I feel the need to and I've not had any troubles ... i do try not to drink while i eat ... but if i get thirsty, i'll take a sip or two ...

i just think the reason for the rule is so that your body will take in the vitamins/nutrients from the food first ... makes sense ...

but sometimes, you're just thirsty ! :)

I really didn't like this particular rule, and before surgery, I wasn't sure how I would do with it. At nearly three years post op, I can say I follow it more than 95% of the time. I may take a super small sip if I have something spicy, or if I feel too dry, but it's rare. I still miss it sometimes, but mostly, it has become a way of life. I still often set a timer for 30 minutes after I eat, because I still haven't developed a natural rhythm of waiting.

Okay sleevers [emoji4] I'm still pre-op and I'd like to know how good YOU are at not drinking anything while you eat. This is one post surgery rule I'm not sure I can manage in the entirety even if I come close. I have always been very thirsty while eating. It doesn't matter how much I drink before I eat, my throat gets dry while I eat and then I must stop eating until I can drink or I get nauseous. I'm super super super worried I won't be able to stick to this rule. :\
I know the REASON behind it -- not washing food out of your pouch .. which makes perfect sense.. but a lot of people talk about it like it is a choice.. TBH I'm not sure it's truly a choice for everyone.. I know I personally can't do it well.
So my personal plan as of now? Drink -tiny- sips.. just enough to wet my throat and stop the nausea. But hopefully not enough to wash out my pouch once I have surgery. I heard someone say their surgeon allowed an ounce of liquid with a meal for this purpose.
So was this/ is this an issue for you? Did you struggle with it? Did you overcome it or do you drink with meals and just try to do your best regardless not to eat around your surgery or wash out?
(( PLEASE do not tell me I'm just "choosing" to need to drink while eating even if it's only a small sip here and there. I have super sensitive gag reflex and trust me when I say.. it's not a choice thing. If I get extremely thirsty while eating and try to ignore it.. I -will- find myself in the bathroom retching. I've had it happen when we had poor wait staff at restaurants who didn't keep our glasses refilled...so needless to say I'm worried about this lifestyle change and need to hear from others who struggle with it how they handled it. Especially those who couldn't follow the rule to the T.))

I felt the same way as you about drinking and eating. Thought it was overkill until I was meeting with a Bariatric dietician. I had asked her what keys she thought led to success as a Bariatric patient. She said she saw the most success with individuals who followed the 30/30rule. After I heard that, I started to be a believer!