Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Zumba - first time

Tried a Zumba class for the first time today and wow! I only lasted 25 minutes but it was fun and really got my heart rate up. I think I need to lose more weight as it was hard on my knees. At least I tried and I hope to give it another go when I lose another 30 pounds. Back to the Water aerobics class for now.

Zumba is great fun but full on at the beginning isn't it lol :D

Maybe there is a Zumba Gold or Aqua Zumba class near you?? Or even a regular class, where the instructor is certified in Zumba Gold and can show you the modified moves. Zumba is SOOOO much fun, though, isn't it? Like a party, you forget that you are working out!

https://www.zumba.com/en-US/party/classes/class-zumba-gold

I envy anyone who can do Zumba, or even aerobics ... I'm so unco-ordinated I'm a danger to myself!

I envy anyone who can do Zumba, or even aerobics ... I'm so unco-ordinated I'm a danger to myself!

I never said I was coordinated or good at it. LOVE it anyway!! No one cares if you go left when they go right, zig when you are supposed to zag, everyone is very accepting and just there for a great time while burning calories.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.baQli2QOqXHo9aL3bOtf%2bw&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0/

I never said I was coordinated or good at it. LOVE it anyway!! No one cares if you go left when they go right, zig when you are supposed to zag, everyone is very accepting and just there for a great time while burning calories.

Zumba

Zumba is fun but very hard for us big girls. I just go and do my best. If there is a move I cannot do, I just march in place or keep moving. I don't do any of the jumping motions as I'm afraid to break my ankles. I just do the best I can. Can't stand treadmill so Zumba is my go to for cardio! I also get motion sick very easily so lots of turning around quickly is out for me. I just keep moving. I'm sure Zumba gets easier the more times you go and get used to the routines and/or lose some weight.

I adore Zumba, been dancing since 2 months before surgery! It has been my primary exercise for loss/maintaining. My instructor is a former NFL cheerleader so the choreo is off the hook where I go :) As your weight comes down your ability to do some of the moves that involve jumping improves greatly. When I got below 200 I noticed that my ability to do what everyone else was doing was spot on. One thing that has not improved for me is my ability to do turns - I get vertigo in the worst way. I've compared notes with some other formerly heavy people (one bariatric person, two not) in my class and they have the same problem - wonder if it has anything to do with losing a lot of weight? My physical therapist told me that for every 10 lbs you lose, center of gravity shifts which lends to that clumsy feeling. But it clears up.

I just really enjoyed the class and I think I will go back and try to last at least 35 minutes next time lol. Baby steps ????

@@slvrsax, I adore Zumba but have the same issues with vertigo! I Thought it was just me but it's interesting to read that wls could be the cause ( one of the many reasons I love this forum).

Also, you are so right, as I started to lose weight, the moves got easier.

Zumba is an exhilarating work out, love it!

I used to love Zumba! I just had my RNY 7/20. When and how did you work into exercising?

Do you guys feel out of place in class, especially in the beginning? I'm trying to drum up the courage to go!

@@tianna615 I started Zumba with a groupon 2 months before surgery to see if I even liked it. I felt I absolutely had to find some form of exercise I enjoyed, but I'm an introvert by nature so dancing didn't seem like a good fit but by golly it was! After surgery I returned at about seven weeks and started with half an hour at a time and worked my way up to more. By four months out I was going to class about 4 times a week and keeping up pretty well. At times the low calorie diet of that first year post op gave me dizzy spells and I just had to listen to my body and stop. I'm 19 months post op, down 113 lbs and 10 lbs or so from goal. I still go and really love it!

@@AngelaWilliamsMD at almost 280 lbs, I did feel pretty awkward initially, in fact I flat walked out of class a few times. Before WLS I'd had a gym membership and was totally bored with the treadmill, I had to find something I liked but that required getting out of my comfort zone to try new things. I'm so glad I did. I started in the back of the class room mortified to even be there at my size praying that no one noticed my mistakes, now I'm in the front and don't mind it a bit. It took me five months to work up the courage to even look in the mirror! I'm glad I stuck it out because now I totally look forward to going. Besides, I've made some wonderful friends in the process.

@AngelaWilliamsMD@@tianna615, I do Zumba at home. I bought the Zumba kit on Zumba.com & googled a coupon code ( it was cheaper then Amazon). However, I did go back on Amazon and bought another single dvd to add to my collection.

In the kit there is a 20minute work out DV which is, great for beginners, but still challenging. You get to do it in the comfort of your home & do only what you can.

@@tianna615, I only walked the first month (on my treadmill & in my neighborhood) . Month two, I did the "walk away the pounds" DVD, with Leslie Sansone. Loved it! And still do. Great way to work to the next level.

Month three, my exercise physiologist gave the green light for Zumba. He wanted me to take a few months to recover.

Please try it guys (w/ doctors clearance of course ) and welcome to the new you. With that said, you should try something NEW.

Best wishes in your journey.

Zumba is a great workout. Good thing to remember too is, if the moves they are doing get too intense, make it easier. Don't do the arm movements, or walk in place for a couple minutes. It will get easier everytime you go :)