Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be too sick Post opt to drive myself home 1000+ miles?

wait, why are you going to San Diego if you surgery is in MX? I really don't think that you should drive. The mix of meds, emotions, pain and driving are not good. You are going through alot right now and will be going through even more after surgery and it just dosen't sound like a good idea. If you drive you would not be able to take the pain meds and i just can not imagine doing that.

I am a travel agent...fare is 385.78....don't worry about the next guy for the short ride--they and you will survive. Book an aisle seat and happy flying--if you need more room the airline will move you to a different seat!! DO NOT DRIVE please...and best of luck!!

I am a travel agent...fare is 385.78....don't worry about the next guy for the short ride--they and you will survive. Book an aisle seat and happy flying--if you need more room the airline will move you to a different seat!! DO NOT DRIVE please...and best of luck!!

I totally agree...you'll never see the person sitting next to you again. You'll both survive a short flight.

Best wishes on your trip and surgery! ;)

If you have an accident or something, your situation and surgery may be a big factor against you, and it isn't hard checking your 'blind spot' and twisting in the seat to do so.................please don't do it...........!:cry

Not much point saving money on the surgery if you wind up in an accident on the way home. Unless you're waiting 2 weeks or so to do it.

I was well enough to go home and go for a gentle walk the next morning, but not to drive for a few days. You still have the anaesthetic in your system for starters so your reaction time will be poor and you'll be sleepy on and off. And then if you have to react quickly, you could tear open stitches or otherwise damage yourself.

Driving doesnt generally save a lot of money. Fuel is expensive these days.

Darn the editing on this site.

Also if you're in an accident you could run into insurance issues for driving so soon after an operation, and also on the money side of it, wont you have to pay for accommodation too?

You'd be nuts to do this, seriously. Take it easy and fly home.

I couldn't agree more with the others.

I tried to drive to my local shops (about a 10 minute drive) 6 days out from surgery and it really knocked me about. I made my DH drive home cos it just wasn't safe for me to be driving.

The thing is, we can all tell you our experiences, but you just don't know how YOU are going to feel after your surgery. Some people feel right as rain the day after, and others like me, are still struggling close to 2 weeks out - I felt like a train wreck for weeks.

I just don't think its worth getting "stuck" in San Diego cos you feel poorly or can't physically drive, and then you'll have to pay out more money for a hotel room until you are well enough.

I absolutely would recommend against driving. Not only are you risking the chance of blots clots due to immobility, but you also are risking an accident because you will not be able to react quicky to situations.

Also, it is extremely unsafe to drive if you are taking any presciption pain meds like Percocet. My doc told me not to drive until I was off them for at least 24 hours. Do you really want to manage the trip with no pain medications either?

Call the airline and ask for an aisle seat in coach (try to get seated on the left side of the plane so you can lean right into the aisle, since your left side will be sorest). If you check with a travel agent, you can probably also find a flight that is underbooked and maybe even find a way to get an empty seat next to you. Worst case, if you absolutely want the extra room, book two coach fares and put up the arm rest. You'll have plenty of room and save $$ over first class. The only thing you'll miss out on is the 1st class meal ;) LOL

GOOD LUCK!

ya the more I think about it, the crazier it sounds. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and fly. Thanks all...another disaster averted.lol

When are you having your surgery? I'm flying out from OKC on 7/23/07 surgery on the 24th. Bought my round trip ticket on Yahoo Travel for $226. Gook luck.

Renee

I'd wait at least 3 days before driving that far! I had to be a passenger 2 days post op, for a 4 hour round trip drive and it was fine as a passenger, but I wouldn't have been able to do it as a driver.

I didn't drive again until day 5. And it was just down the street to pick up some take out for my poor hungry husband.