Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5 days post-op and am able drink Water fairly normally. I mean, I can't chug it like I used to, but I'm definitely way beyond the sipping stage. From the moment I got to my hospital room, the nurses gave me a pitcher of Water and a large cup from which to drink and never encouraged small sips. However, I'm seeing that some people that had surgery the same day as me or close to it, are still sipping out of medicine cups!

I know everyone is different, so I am just doing what my body is allowing me to do with the water. Is there any harm to being able to drink fairly regularly at this stage?

I could drink Water from the start fairly easy. I was warned by nut how painful it would be if I drank Water too fast. Still haven't felt that. Feel I can eat a lot more than most can too. Sleeved May 20th so I think I should be feeling more than I am. Losing slower than others sleeved the same time too. I am only eating Protein and a little little bit of vegies. Tomatoes, Cauliflower, sweet potatoes, squash. And add Protein powder or yogurt to sweet potatoes. But feel hungry 30 min after eating. I upped my calorie count to 1000 this week to see if that will help. Any suggestions?

I was able to drink Water easily from the start, also. The first afternoon that I was allowed to drink, I managed to get in 56 ounces. The surgeon was thrilled! My IV was removed shortly afterwards since drinking water wasn't a problem. However, the broth they brought me was a different story entirely!

I am past the sipping stage now with no pain or discomfort and 10 days out. I don't drink big mouthfuls but much more than a sip and will stop if I feel 'full' I was a little shocked about how quickly I was able to increase the amount of Water I could drink. Must admit to being worried about that pre-op as I used to drink a lot of Water every day.

You are just one of the lucky ones. I don't think you can do any harm to yourself be drinking "too much" Water right now. Some people have swelling in their stomachs and esophagus that just makes sipping really hard in the early days. Be grateful you aren't having any issues and will be able to stay well hydrated!

I was given a 1 oz medicine cup and a 40 oz cup of Water. I would fill my medicine cup ever 5-10 min and drink it all at once. This method helped me keep track of how much I was drinking throughout the day. By the way, drinking an ounce of Water at one time every 5 minutes was not hard for me, either. I never had trouble getting all my fluids in early on.

Edited by WL WARRIOR

I wish I had that "problem" in the beginning. #luckysleevers ;)

I was drinking regularly by the first week. Not huge gulps but more that a medicine cup. Drinking Water is vital so don't worry about it.

Day 6 post op, still sipping all day, 20 oz bottle Isopure liquid Protein, 2 bottles Premeir Protein, Water with Crystal light, broth a couple times per day and SF Jello

Getting stronger each day

I think they recommend sipping just to ensure your new stomach isn't being overworked so soon. I think I'm capable of bigger gulps but haven't tried it -- going to stick to the sips! I have a 1ltr sports bottle that you have to suck Water out of -- which is GREAT for sipping. I carry it everywhere with me now (only a few days out) and am constantly sipping. Surprised how close I'm able to get to 2ltrs (70oz) per day considering how I was never a big water drinker before!