Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping vs frothing

So I am 4 weeks post op. (down 28 lbs) and I'm just now starting to get sick from certain foods. I just feel as if something is stuck, I kind of feel phlegmy and then get sick. After that I'm better but don't try eating for several hours after. Is what I'm experiencing 'dumping' or 'frothing'? Also when did everyone experience dumping for the first time and from what?

Frothing or foamies. I just had an episode yesterday and posted about it (see recent topics yesterday). It lasted about 4 hrs, My esophagus hurt like crazy and couldn't eat and spent that time with thick phleam and throwing up the tiny amount of scrambled eggs and 1, yes 1 small bite of bacon. Won't be having that again for a while.

I am 8 weeks post RNY and this was by far the worst I have had but I have had a couple of smaller events at about 6 weeks.

eggs don't agree with many people post op. I didn't much care for them pre op, but I can eat them some. Doesn't sound like dumping. I know post op I had a weird cough and I felt phlemy for a few weeks. It passed about 5 weeks. Now as for dumping, I don't really dump. I get the weird hypoglycemic action from starchy meals or stuff that has too much sugar (including fruit). About 3 weeks post op I ate something that didn't agree. I really want to say sausage, but I'm not sure. I got real nauseous and eventually I threw up and then I was better. No other side effects!

I think mine was foamies (aka frothing).

Mr Dr says that about 3/4 of bariatric patients will get dumping after surgery. I've had tiny bites of sweet things and nothing has happened. I was hope to suffer from dumping (sounds crazy I know) but I'm wondering if it's not going to affect me. Hmm, guess it's a waiting game and trial and error at this point.

I am confused. What is frothing/fomies? I know about dumping but not the other. I am a band to bypass revision so I am extremely familiar with things getting stuck and having esophagus pain for hours until you vomit. Is that what you are referring to?

The way that I experienced it was something got stuck and all of this mucus like 'goo' came up into my mouth. Our stomach before surgery produced something that helped us digest our food, now after surgery that part of the stomach is no longer part of the digestive 'action', so this is our new body's way of helping us get the food down. This is by no means the scientific explanation, but the explanation of a bariatric patient who knows how much it sucks.

Ok. Sounds like what I experienced with the band. Yes it sucks!

I am hoping it does not happen as often as it did with the band. It has only been 3 days but I definitely feel the difference. With the band everything got stuck and started backing up. I was always hungry because I could never really eat a proper meal without getting sick.

I haven't had dumping syndrome, it is more of a complete body experience, heart racing, sweating, nausea, etc Foamies or frothing is where you vomit this thick egg white consistency and then you feel better. Not sure what causes it exactly but I've had it several times and its awful!

I just experienced my first frothing (or slimes as some people call it)! It was terrible. Chest pain at the base of my esophagus like it clamped down on the chicken and white gravy I had just swallowed. I started getting head spins as my body tried to throw up. I got a bunch of the egg-white like mucous to come up and then I was fine five minutes later. Should have chewed better! Five weeks out.

My experience with dumping came after I are a little spicy soup..I was SO tired of pudding and Jello ..it took about 15 minutes with stomach cramps and I ran to the bathroom. More if a Water discharge(TMI) but I wanted to explain it was different than anything I had ever experienced.

I have been nauseated and spitting up a foam/slimy spit. It is because you either over ate or have a blockage. I was having cramping pain too. I am barely 2 weeks post op and was tired of Soup and Jello. I started soft Protein way too early and I am paying the price. If the pain doesn't get better I am heading to the ER. :(

Wow I thought I was the only one experiencing the foaming...I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and recently had the same thing happen. It lasted 1 whole day so the next day I went back to Clear Liquids and by 3rd day I was ok. I still feel like I'm not eating enough. I'm at about 3 tbls of food on average about 2x per day. Maybe that is enough? Maybe I'm rambling...lol anyway glad to know I'm not alone. Good luck to you all!

Edited by francheskii