Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foamies/Dumping? Esophagus Pain? YUCK!

I'm 8 weeks post RNY.

4 hours ago I ate two bites of scrambled eggs with ketchup and for the first time one bite of bacon. 5 minutes later I started getting the esophagus pain and major foamies and throwing up. It's three hours later and still in pain and slimming. Maybe it was the ketchup or the bacon. Either way I am in so much pain and concerned that I will get dehydrated.

Is this normal (if you say yes, that will probably make me feel a little better)? And what is the longest you've ever had one of these episodes?

I'm trying to stay within my dr's guidelines, so not like I've been eating out of the norm.......maybe it was too much ketchup, or the first time bite of bacon that set me off. Either way, both are now on my "no thanks" list for quite a while.

Advice/Insight welcome! ....and I've done so well up until today.

I am also 8 weeks and haven't tried bacon yet, but have had trouble with other meats (chicken and turkey). I think mostly it is when I eat too much though. I have had an episode last 4 hours before I just gave up and made myself vomit. By that time of course it wasn't food, but it did give some relief eventually. Hopefully some of the veterans will chime in...

Sorry you are in pain! This is definitely the worst part of post-op to me. Hoping I learn sooner rather than later.

Thanks, Daisee. It helps to know this isn't unique to me or something more serious that I can't control, now that I know what it is.

It did go away after almost 4 1/2 hours,, but boy, was it rough. So far all I've had since is a yogurt and 1 tbsp of Peanut Butter, and Water. Hope I can get a better start tomorrow.

First time I've questioned my decision, but the thought didn't last long. I'm so grateful for this surgery, and just need to learn from my mistakes.

You are welcome! And 4 1/2 hours? That's rough! Glad it finally ended. My bet is it was the bacon. Maybe it was too chewy? I'm too scared to try it yet. especially now! :)

One tip for you - try to stick with liquids / yogurt for 24 hours after an episode like that. And then you may need to go to pureed for 24 hours. Dr's office told me things get really swollen / irritated after an episode like this and trying to eat something to un-soft (sorry not sure what else to call it :)) could cause the problem again. Works for me anyway.

Thanks, I'm going to follow that advice!

Bacon was fine for me but ketchup is something I haven't tried. I'm too afraid to dump. I've thrown up twice though because I wasn't concentrating on eating. I ate too fast and didn't chew well...

I'm almost 3 months out and I spent yesterday from noon until 9:30 in the evening with "the foamies" and throwing up. It was actually a little scary, although I didn't have pain.

I didn't eat anything new - vegetarian chili and a little bit of chicken breast. I drank from a straw in the morning, but I've used straws since surgery. I have no idea what caused this episode, but I still have them quite often. It seems like one day I'm fine eating something and the next time I have it, I get sick.

I'm glad I read the previous post about making today a liquid/soft day. I never want a repeat of yesterday!

I'm almost 3 months out and I spent yesterday from noon until 9:30 in the evening with "the foamies" and throwing up. It was actually a little scary, although I didn't have pain.

I didn't eat anything new - vegetarian chili and a little bit of chicken breast. I drank from a straw in the morning, but I've used straws since surgery. I have no idea what caused this episode, but I still have them quite often. It seems like one day I'm fine eating something and the next time I have it, I get sick.

I'm glad I read the previous post about making today a liquid/soft day. I never want a repeat of yesterday!

ok, i haven't had surgery yet, what is foamies????? scarey!

ok, i haven't had surgery yet, what is foamies????? scarey!

Foamies are different from vomiting in that you don't lose the content of your stomach. They're usually caused by eating too much, too fast and, in my experience, it seems like they can go on forever. Rather than throw up your stomach's contents, you spit up a phlegm like substance that looks "foamy". Hope that helps. They're a little hard to describe.

I went to my surgeon today regarding the foamies. He really thinks I'm still having a reaction to that one tiny bite of bacon I ate this past weekend. I had had 8 oz of Water while waiting for him and started "foaming" in the trash. He watched this all through our appt and said to just have warm liquids for a couple of days. He thinks the bacon is lodged somewhere in the esophagus and this will help. So thankfully no upper gi "yet" he says.Can't wait for this episode to be over!

Dumping/foaming is the pits.

I'm 4 months out and I have dumped twice. I haven't tried sugar but too much fat will cause me to dump and it doesn't start until 2 hours after I eat. I dry heave for 30 minutes and then fall asleep. But when I wake up, I am fine. It is exhausting. I don't know when I will learn. But the frustrating part is that it's food I've eaten before that didn't bother me in the past.

I asked my bariatric doctor and she said that happens to her and you never know when certain foods will upset your system.

I guess it's a learning process.

Just take it slow and listen to your gut.

Edited by KimDawn