Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have very slow weight loss?

I would like to hear from others who had slow weight loss. My weight loss has been very slow. I'm losing - on average - about 2 pounds a week. I say on average because I have had some killer plateaus that lasted as long as 4 weeks. Then I drop real fast for two or three weeks before my weight crashes into another plateau. My doctor says that is a good thing because I won't have the lose skin and hair loss. He also says I have another year of weight loss to look forward to, and at the rate I have been going I will make it to my ideal weight sometime next spring. I am over 50 so I knew it would be slow, but it's hard to read about how everyone is losing so fast and then see mine inchworm along. I keep a food journal and make sure I'm hitting my target calorie count. I'm trying so hard to be happy about the progress I've made, but somehow I just thought I would be a bit further along than I am.

I would like to know if anyone really does keep losing for 18 months after surgery. Has anyone else made their weight loss goal with slow weight loss?

Yep I'm right there with you. I'm losing about the same - 2 lbs a week. I finally decided that 10 lbs a month was going to be my goal and I will live with it.

I'm 52 and post-menopausal and I can't do major exercise because of really bad osteoarthritis in my knees. I have no cartilage left and I'm bone on bone. I start aqua arthritis classes on Monday 3 times a week so I'm hoping that helps.

I'm 38 and lose 2# a week on average, but haven't got any stalls yet (@ 3 months)

Okay, so there is always someone who is worse off than you. I lose about 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. Only one major stall at about three weeks out for about 2 weeks. I walk 5 miles six days a week, and follow my dietician's plan. What can I say? I tell myself at least I am losing!

I'm in the same boat but so happy with the results so far. I'm post menopausal and hypothyroid. I have yet to experience a stall but it has been a nice steady loss. My advice is to try your best not to compare your results with others. Sex, age, starting weight and other medical conditions are all factors in loss. All we can do is stay the course and enjoy the ride. ????

Yeah I am at a current stall. I haven't lost any weight in almost two weeks. Even with my increased cardio, my pounds haven't moved much. I may take this current plateau and go ahead and really get back into resistance training and weights. I've been putting it off for months now, but I guess it might be the only way to re-trigger some more weight loss and past this current plateau.

I used to describe myself as a slow loser but I've lost 90lbs in 10 months which is faster and more than I've ever lost before in the same amount of time. In retrospect, it doesn't seem very slow to me now.

BTW, even with my relative slow weight loss I have loose skin. Not trying to burst your bubble but if it's going to happen, it'll happen. I'm hopeful it will firm up over the next year but if it doesn't, I'll still look fantastic in clothes.

I am 11 months post op, and have lost 79 pounds. I'm 6 pound to goal. Losing 10 pounds a month would have been a dream! I only averaged 2-7 pounds a month.

Sure, it's slower compared to some. But I will be at my goal at little over a year out. I may go for a stretch goal, and that will take me another month or two.

But absolutely none of that is going to matter in another year, is it? What matters is I got to a healthy weight that I can hopefully maintain for the rest of my life. And from what I gather, this is a cakewalk compared to maintenance! It's not a race to get to the finish line so I can relax and go back to my old habits like I did before. It's for the rest of my life. In the end, who cares how long it takes when you're looking at the big picture?

I am only 9 weeks out of surgery but all this weight loss sounds amazing! I'd say 2lbs a week is pretty satisfying! Great work all! I look forward to being further out and seeing numbers like any of those!!????

I am over 9 months out and I am definitely a slow loser. I've lost 67lbs. 15 pre-op, so truthfully 52lbs since surgery. I, too, am over 50 but with a thyroid condition. So I expected a slow weight loss. Despite the fact that I "expected" it, I was still hopeful that I would be wrong.

Honestly, I've had a few frustrated and emotional days but I don't allow myself to remain in that state because I AM LOSING! I recently started fitting a size 10 (which was my goal size) but I'm not at my goal weight. Honestly, I'm not sure I truly know my goal weight. Time will tell.

To answer your question, I've read post from other slow losers who got to their goal weight, so it is possible-I'm banking on it.

I too lose weight in a similar fashion. I lose 4-6 pounds in a week and then I won't lose for the next week or two. It drives me crazy!!! That being said if you averaged my weight loss it would be just about 3lbs a week and I am 27 years old and exercise 4-6 days per week. I don't think you are a slow loser, I think you're doing great. Keep up the good work!!!!

I too am a slow loser! I average about a 1 pound a week and get frustrated but I started at 270 and down to 215. I just don't want to get gain.

I would like to hear from others who had slow weight loss. My weight loss has been very slow. I'm losing - on average - about 2 pounds a week. I say on average because I have had some killer plateaus that lasted as long as 4 weeks. Then I drop real fast for two or three weeks before my weight crashes into another plateau. My doctor says that is a good thing because I won't have the lose skin and Hair loss. He also says I have another year of weight loss to look forward to, and at the rate I have been going I will make it to my ideal weight sometime next spring. I am over 50 so I knew it would be slow, but it's hard to read about how everyone is losing so fast and then see mine inchworm along. I keep a food journal and make sure I'm hitting my target calorie count. I'm trying so hard to be happy about the progress I've made, but somehow I just thought I would be a bit further along than I am.

I would like to know if anyone really does keep losing for 18 months after surgery. Has anyone else made their weight loss goal with slow weight loss?

I'm at about 9-10lbs per month and I don't consider it slow.

I lost 11 lbs my second month and my dr was very happy. I was hoping my second month would be in the 15 to 20 lbs. But before the surgery i would have been happy with 11 lbs. The surgery helps us lose weight, but does not guarantee we are going to lose it fast. It took me awhile to accept this

I'd be very happy if I lost 10lb each month !!