Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any fellow nurses that have advice for me?

Hi everyone! I'm seriously considering gastric sleeve surgery. I've struggled with my weight for years and yo-yo'd up and down. I'm 28 now and I'm really starting to feel the damage it is doing to my body. My joints hurt, I have no energy and issues like reflux are getting worse. I'm a floor nurse and work 12 hour shifts. I have virtually no paid leave right now after call offs and one week off to see family recently. One of my biggest concerns is how much time I would need to take off of work. Can anybody tell me about their experience?

I am a nurse, but I am in administration. I do lead the code team,rapid response team, and walk a lot. I took of four weeks, I could have gone back at week three. I have had three other friends who are floor nurses and their leave averaged around three weeks.

As a busy nurse it is a little challenging in the beginning to drink and eat enough during the long shifts. However, it gets to be second nature after a short while.

You can do it. Good luck

@@lovelylala, can't you do temporary medical disability or medical leave of absence? I took 5 weeks but I have a super small sleeve and not able to tolerate food I lacked the energy. I know some nurses that took only a couple weeks but I want ready. Best of luck!

I don't know if that will be an option, or how sorting that out would work. I'm new to my position so I don't qualify for fmla for several more months. However I'm sure that there are hoops that I will have to jump through for the insurance so I don't have any idea of what a potential timeline would be. I'm hoping to go to an information session next week from the surgical group.

I am a medical MSW. I have about 50 patients a day ED and Observation Unit (social work drama). I had VSG and went back to work in two weeks. I prob would have done better with 3 only because I walk walk walk around a 700 bed hospital all day long and the energy vampires put me in bed each night by 630! I work 5x 8s. I am pool so I had no paid-time off. I guess you will have to gage yourself. Perhaps you could do two weeks off if you could switch with a pal to nights? If you are on medsurge or tele I would talk 3. Oncology or ?? Maybe less. I don't lift patients like RNs do... But as medical people we do help each other out. Have you spoke to you manager about your goals... And why this is important to you? Perhaps you can do some project work for the department, ACLS or other trainings while getting better.

Edited by AJ cowgirl

I am a pool nurse but i have benefits. I took 5 weeks off just Bec i didn't want to rush back to work and have any problems. Just returned to work and the first week worked out fine. I just had to plan all my meals and Water so Well. I try to hey my work out in before i go to work.. Good luck.

I talked to my doctor about this extensively. I have FMLA, but they only pay 60% and with the loss of my call and shift diff its going to hurt my paycheck. I wanted to take only 2 weeks and my doctor said MINIMUM of three weeks off. And even then when I come back and I have to have help in moving my patients until 5 weeks or so.

Great question. I am a nurse to. I am letting my PTO build up. I do have short term disability but not sure how it works.I am seriously considering going back after a week when I do have surgery.

I am a floor nurse and went back 1 week post op from having gastric bypass. A huge mistake. I struggle getting fluids in. Fellow staff get angry due to me not being able to assist with lifts. I have not been able to meet my Protein goals since returning which i think caused a 3 week stall. Thankfully I have been able to avoid dehydration but i really advise you to take the time your dr recommends. I didnt listen and I have been paying for it. Good luck.

Edited by RNY_NY

Well my hospital requires the dr to state you can lift 50lbs before you can go back to work. So I took 5 weeks, the pay was a bit less but they also didn't take taxes from it so it wasn't too bad. I wasn't able to tolerate any soft foods so was on clear to full liquids almost until I went back so I actually needed it, no energy.

I'm a CRNA and took 2 weeks off. Do you guys think that's enough? I work 8's, 10's, and 12's. If I work endo, I'm on my feet for most of the shift. But if I'm in surgery, I get to sit. Of course I can't eat or drink while there, so I plan on sipping between cases. What do you guys think?

I work with nurses on a high acuity psych unit, my nurse took three weeks and did great, I took six since I'm hands on all day, and actually liked standing more than sitting lately, we both have the same problem of hydrating and stopping to eat, so we carry big bottles of Water and sip as soon as we have a second, also recommend small 1 oz portions in baggies of things like cheese, Jerky or sausage, and almonds or cashews,,it is really high in Protein and portable, pace yourself for a couple of days, dehydrating happens super fast and it's no joke, i had it happen at Walmart and I was hurting

Just asked for an additional week. Two was just too close. Three weeks sounds amazing to just get used to the sleeve and start light exercise.