Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best protein powder for severe lactose intolerance?

Hey, guys!

I'm currently pre-op for RNY and looking for a good Protein powder to use after surgery that is COMPLETELY lactose free. I emphasize completely because I know whey isolate is supposed to be lactose free, but it still contains enough to make me sick. :( I've tried several brands.

My bariatric program recommends Genisoy, but I find the taste of that particular brand to be rather repulsive, so I'm trying to find something else that's equally nutritious, but less chalky and gross.

Do any of you guys have recommendations? So far I really like the Vega One drinks, has anyone used those?

Thanks!

Your taste buds may change after surgery, so be prepared to experiment some more after the operation. I used Muscle Milk Light (vanilla creme) powder and it was lactose free.

I've tried the Muscle Milk and while it didn't make me as sick as the Isopure or Jay Robb whey Proteins, I still didn't feel so great after drinking it. :/ I'm the extreme of lactose intolerance that I can't even eat the colored mini tootsie rolls without getting sick, because they have just a sprinkling of whey in them.

I might stop by my local health foods store and try to the Jay Robb egg white powder this weekend and see what other options they have for soy.

wow im so sorry i have no advice just jedi hugs

I use Precision Engineering Whey Protein Isolate. I think it says 99% lactose free. Not sure if that is good enough but you might check it out. They also sell it in 1lb bags in addition to the 5lb jars so you would be able to invest a little less to give it a try. Both chocolate and vanilla are very good. Also, look at Fairview milk which I think (not positive) is lactose free.

Try a Protein made with either egg whites, pea protein, Bob's Red Mill makes a plain soy protein. Biochem makes a vegan Protein Powder and so does Vega. It's going to be trial and error. A lot of vegan protein powders may taste a little gritty unless you mix them in a nutra bullet.

I'm with you. You can get soy and pea Protein powders but they are so nasty i can't even swollow them but you may habe beyter luck. I'm like you very lactose and galactose intolerant after op. I switched to soy protein based bars instead and haven't looked back.

Edited by MsTwist