Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On my way, Looking for some support friends

Helllo, I am scheduled for surgery August 19th. Thought it might be a good idea to ask for your help and hopefully find a few support friends. I am a 60 year old male . My weight is 378 now and have lost 26 pounds since starting this procedure. I will be starting my liquid diet on August 5th. I went to the pre op class yesterday. I felt a little worried in how much they talked about getting your Water in and how hard it can be post surgery. I hope some people share this journey with me. 7/28/2015

Thanks Bill

you will find lots of support here, but congrats on taking this leap

Welcome, Bill, and good luck on your journey!

Welcome, Bill, and best of luck! I hope it's okay, I friended you here. :)

@@Klohebaby - Welcome! Congrats on the 26 lbs!!!!!

The Water issue is easy for some and not for others. I go no where without a bottle to sip.

Thanks Jane, Looks like your doing very well.

Congratulations on your weight loss. You are going to be so amazed of your new life. Best thing I have done for "me". Everyone is different but remember it is a journey. It takes time to reach the Protein and fluid goals but you will get there. One day at a time. Best of Luck

Thanks So much for the positive thoughts and energy. I start me 2 week pe-op liquid diet on Wednesday the 8th. Do you have any tricks up you sleeve of how you coped with that?

Thanks Bill

Congrats Bill!!

I believe this surgery is one of the best things that I have done.

This support group has been a HUGE tool for me, we have an amazing group of people here!!

As far as getting the Water in, it is really important but I can tell you there is a good chance like me and so many others, you will have to work yourself up to the needed amount. Each day will get better and soon you will be able to drink with ease.

Your going to do great! Stay positive!

Good Luck!!!!

P.S.

The liquid diet is not as bad as it sounds. Try a couple of flavos of Protein powder and drink plenty of Water. If you are allowed one meal under 300 calories that is also a help make sure you check with your Dr. about the one meal, some allow it and some don't .

Hello, Thanks for helping me with some good tips. I am a very determined person and I will get through this.As far as the meal its a no go with my Dr. but thats ok have stocked up on Protein shakes and creamed Soups.

Thanks Bill

Hey there, Bill. Collis here. I'm a 63 yr-old guy who is scheduled for tomorrow. Like you, I'm concerned about getting liquids and Proteins in. Also concerned about getting exercise. I have serious mobility problems. I think I'm up for the challenges, however.

From the real time support groups I've attended, I think it will all be a matter of priorities: 1. liquid, 2. Protein, 3. Exercise. One thing I have figured out is that I like Isopure whey Protein Isolate in Crystal Light. I'm aware my tastes may change by Tuesday or Wednesday, but if can still tolerate that combination, I should be ok.

Will try to figure out this site more and will try to be in touch.

Hi Collis, Thanks so much for caring to respond. It feels go when somebody else is there for you. I am so excited for your progress and WOW your having surgery tomorrow. Please feel free to chat back and forth> I am new to this site and I hope all the best for you tomorrow. I and 60 years old and my mobility is the same as yours but I can not wait to experience this new life change. You like in Protein shakes is the same as mine I have stocked up. The only one I dislike is Isopure. but I live on Crystal Light. sugar free Pink Lemonade.

Well GOOD LUCK !!! my friend!!

Stay in touch !!!

Bill

It has been quite an xperience! Surgery on Mon. Home on Tuesday. Plenty of pain. Plenty of pain Killers. Still no energy. Can't lift much. Need lots of help (which I have). Can shower on my own. Using a cane for stability. No problems with liquids, no problems with Protein. One thing interestng, however, I don't like Crystal Light any more! Don't like SF Jello or popsicles. In fact, don't want anything too sweet. SO not like me. It's like a switch got turned. If I'm craving anything, it's a grilled shrimp!

Hang in there my friend, I am not speaking from experience but I was told several times it gets better each day. I feel your pain. WOW I'm right around the corner. Hope I still like the chrystal lite. But you have to look on the bright side.That you are drinking ok. Thats GREAT!!!

Good Luck YOu CAN DO THIS you are on the way to recovery..

Best regards Bill