Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

things i wish they would have told me...

walk as soon as you can and walk frequently to help release the gas

you can get a yeast infection due to the antibiotics

you may start your period immediately

The worst thing for me immediately post op was the intense cotton mouth/throat. It was SO bad and no amount of ice chips or Water helped. The nurse said it was likely a side effect of the anti nausea meds they were pumping into my IV. That and the gas pains were the worst part for me.

as you are reading I am sure you see everyone is different.

I have had 2 surgery's on my stomach area, so this was not my first. I had a lapband and a few other things done in 2003.

2012 i had a partial hysterectomy and a bladder sling.

and now July 1 ,2015 had band to sleeve revision and Hiatal hernia repair.

all 3 were about the same, big big thing!

WALK, as soon as you can and like someone else said walk as much as you can and don't stop walking (well to rest :) )

I had never had the gas pain until this surgery. and I had bad shoulder pain from the Hiatal hernia repair.

and the thing that made them both better was walking! and getting in your fluids!

listen to your body and your doctor and you will be fine.

don't get scared! I have let people do that to me in the past, don't be afraid because of things people tell you.

Listen to your doctor , ask questions and educate yourself. You will be good and remember to walk and sip , walk and sip!

I was in hospital one day and back to work in 7 days, I am 28 days out, and I do get tired sometimes. but pretty much have not stopped since 3 days after surgery. I am going on and moving forward! One step at a time!

good luck!!!!

I wish I had known ahead of time I was going to have a drain in my side. The surgery itself and the incisions caused no pain but that drain was a giant pain in the butt.

I wish I had known I was going to be totally exhausted for weeks. I didn't have that same reaction when I had my lap band surgery.

I really had no incisional pain at all. I woke up from surgery with horrible pain from the gas!! I walked the hallways which really helped but be prepared for some pain. I have a high pain tolerance so I was very surprised to have the gas pain like I did. The gas pain was certainly worth it though!!! So don't let it scare you away!! It only lasted a few days in my case.

Gas x dissolving strips I've read that you should bring to the hospital, could not find everywhere but did at target, some have suggested pillow for trip home, maybe heating pad. Have not gone yet but making lists

My surgery isn't until 8/4/15 but my husband was sleeved today 7/28/15

What I know:

-Def. have a close friend or relative at the hospital wait for you after surgery.

-there will probably be a catheter... My husband hated his. It was positioned the wrong way and caused him some major discomfort.

-my husband was more concerned about the discomfort of the catheter to really pay attention to his abdominal pain. He mentioned he was scared to move but he wanted to walk.

- WALK WALK WALK. This helped him so much along with burping to release the gas.

-bring a blanket. It is freeeeezzzing cold and their blankets suck. A robe is a good idea too.

-speak up. Since everyone is different and as well as every doctor/surgeon, it is best to speak up about anything that is bothering you. That doctor may have a certain practice for your ailments and provide relief sooner than later. No need to endure unnecessary pain and discomfort.

That's all for know. I can add more later from my husband's experience and even more after I actually have surgery.

Best of luck to all!

-

Honestly I am surprised how much better I feel after every nap! I am 1 week post-op and today is the first day without a nap. I was not prepared for my first night at home - I wish I would have slept in a recliner or on the couch. Getting into and out of bed without rails to pull myself up was super painful. Let yourself sleep and walk when you are awake, my carpet has a worn trail in a loop around my house, lol. Too hot in the desert to be walking outside. :). Best of luck, it is amazing to not be hungry!

I wish somebody told me I'd pee blue for a few days after surgery. My surgeon did the leak test right after surgery with dark blue dye and it took several days to get it out of my system. Blue pee was quite startling at first!

Remember you won't come home from surgery as a thin person, that takes time. Remember you just had surgery and it takes time to heal and that means resting and following your surgeons plan. Good luck.

I wasn't nauseas and had minimal pain. The hardest part was laying down and sitting up. The thing I wish I had known is what the anesthesia and low calories were going to do to my brain. I was stupid for a good month after surgery.

I'm 6 days post-op and feeling so much better than right after surgery. I'm actually amazed at how much better I feel every day.

Post op I was so nauseous from the pain pump. This was my first major surgery, but now I know morphine is a no-no. After getting me on an anti-nausea and new pain meds, my whole world shifted!

In the hospital, the worst was sitting, then standing from a lying down position. I was always afraid of pulling my stitches. What worked for me, basically every 2 hours, I would need to use the restroom. When I got up to go, I would stay up and walk around a bit. This helped me get in some walking time without having to stand up again!

Once I got home, the thing that really helps me sleep and relax is my body pillow. I'm able to position it and my body into positions that help support my belly as I sleep.< /p>

Edited by nilamji

I had a lot of pain when I woke up but with in a few days it was non-existent.Here was some things I wish I would have known: 1. Do not over stock kitchen. I got so much broth, Soups, Jello but I since I had absolutely no appetite I spent all of my liquid diet drinking Protein shakes and eating greek yogurt to get my daily Protein goal. I have so much left over broth and Jello in my kitchen now. 2. Your breath is gonna smell bad for a while. It gets horrible. 3. Your stomach with now talk to you after meals. Its so strange and sometimes embarrassing. I think it has to do with air that gets in to your stomach while eating. 4. Cut yourself some slack and hopefully the people around you will too. I got really depressed after surgery because it felt like I lost my best friend. I was irritable and emotional. Luckily I had lots of support who gave me the space and love I needed to adjust. 5. Focus on your own journey. I often fight the urge to compare my experience and weightloss with friends and people on forums but it will only drive you crazy. Good luck!

I had my surgery on July 9th at/around 800-900. I was terrified! I had read a lot of horror stories on the pain and discomfort and almost had myself psyched out the night before. Thankfully, after meeting the anesthesiologist (day of surgery), he gave me a Xanax and something for acid reflux. I remember being carted off into the operating room. The sterile smell was unlike no other, and the coldness even worse. Once inside, they moved me onto the operating table. I had 2 nurses helping with my transition as well as my anesthesiologist. I remember the anesthesiologist placing the mask on my face. The feeling of huffing the gas in was nostalgic. I felt light and airy and without a care in the world. I could hear the nurses making the sweetest comments to me for encouragement and well wishes, but obviously could not reply, thank, God! That was the last thing I remember until waking up. Then and only then do I remember being nauseated, which is to be expected. My anesthesiologist brought me an alcohol prep pad and had me inhale deeply. Wouldn't you know it worked!!

I do not remember much about being in recovery, but I vaguely remember my family and I being on an elevator going up to my room. Fast forward to around 1pm and I had gotten out of bed, on my own, to use the bathroom... DO NOT DO THIS. Not everyone recovers from anesthesia the same way. This is according to the nurse who busted me and almost scolded me for my own safety; however, after she realized that I was fine, she gave the clearance for me to begin walking. As most others have informed you, WALKING is key! Walk, walk, walk. Every time you walk, walk a little further or for a little while longer. This will help not only with gas, but help to minimize your soreness. One thing that I held onto like a life saver was a pillow! When you begin to walk, use that pillow to press into your stomach. It makes a world of difference. Also, use a pillow to prop you up on your side. I was lucky and had very minimal, if any, gas this time; however, I learned with my gallbladder surgery two years ago that this trick will help move it around as well. sleep in a reclined position, but not straight back. Its unGodly to have to get up from a prone position! With all of this being said, all I was given post op in the hospital was Tylenol and even then I didn't want it. The pain isn't a PAIN, its more of discomfort. I didn't use the hydrocodone I was given once home.

Now, that's enough about my surgery day and what I experienced. Here's a list of things to take with you to the hospital:

- Wear loose clothing. I wore a pair of comfy sweatpants and a t shirt. Upon discharge I wore the same home and even wore a bra with under wire and had no discomfort; I also wore flip flops with good tread to prevent slipping. You won't want something to have to bend over and put on.

- Chapstick

- Tooth brush and tooth paste

- Travel size Shampoo, conditioner, and soap. The hospital does give you their own, but it wasn't the best. Thankfully, I was allowed to shower the next day. This too helps greatly throughout your recovery. A warm shower ALWAYS works wonders

- Pillow. Take that thing with you every where you go. Its an aid to get up, down, and to get you walking and make you comfortable on the ride home (place it over your stomach prior to buckling! Hold onto it going over bumps and rough terrain)

- Cell phone charger

At home recovery:

- Pillow - I upgraded to my body pillow. The first few days I used two(stole the hubs') and put one on both sides of myself and slept in a recliner.

- Keep Water nearby. Sip. SLOWLY. Do not try to sip too much as you will end up with esophageal spasms and those are the devil.. Seriously!

- Do not let anyone force you to eat too quickly. And by eat I'm obviously meaning drink Protein or Soups. Your body is healing and right now you should only be worried with Water consumption. I also recommend a low sodium, low sugar sport drink for electrolytes!

- You know your body so listen to it. If you feel as though you need to have a bowel movement, get some Miralax. This was recommended by my physician and I've used it. Don't wait till it gets too bad.

- Your pee will stink... BADLY.. Mine is finally beginning to return to normal, but I have concentrated a lot on water consumption. You should too as this will prevent dehydration.

- Us women get thrown curve balls time to time... Be prepared for a yeast infection. Its quite common. Stock up on yogurt!

- Walk. Walk a lot!

- Don't over do it. You've just had surgery so don't push yourself beyond your means. Be prepared to nap a lot in the week. After week two, I began feeling almost normal. Here I am 20 days post op, back at work, feeling almost like myself. I get tired, but it's nothing unbearable.

If I think of more, I will surely post it here. Good luck and best wishes!!!

Edited by MissersK