Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintenance behaviors that keep you successful?

0. What type of weight loss surgery have you had?

Sleeve

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode?

32 months (3 years in Feb)

2. What's your current height and weight?

160 - 2# over goal. I had gotten way under goal at one point but seem pretty healthy in the 150s.

3. How many calories do you eat daily (on average) to maintain your weight?

Varies, I don't track. I do vary my consumption- a few lighter days midweek allows me some wiggle room on weekends.

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say?

Aim for 80 g, track periodically to make sure I am in ballpark

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say?

Generally minimize processed carbs, eat moderate carbohydrate.

6. What other nutritional tips / tricks are working for you that help you maintain?

Eat dense Protein first, then healthy veggies. Minimize all else. Stay hydrated.

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether?

None, but I don't keep snacky food in the house.

8. What exercise regimen (exercise types and frequency) do you follow?

Currently walking plus farm work. My exercise changes with the seasons (and sadly with some health issues)

9. What role, if any, has counseling or therapy played in your WLS success?

I did some counseling after reaching goal. It has helped me recognize some issues but my maintenance is probably not that impacted by it...just helping me to grow and build a better life.

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful?

Pick a great surgeon with outstanding track record and a good support system and actually follow the program. Find the ongoing support that reasonates with you (online, in person etc) and stay with it.

Monitor yourself rigorously and if/when you have a little regain, address it immediately. Be gentle with yourself, your value is not some idealized version of you. You are worthwhile and deserve good health.

Great thread!!

Edited by bellabloom

Months ago I started this thread and am so gratified that it's attracted such thoughtful, detailed, awesome responses.

I invite others who are maintaining their weight losses to continue to post here. The common (and different) behaviors people are using to maintain their weight long-term are wonderfully instructive.

Thanks in advance to all who post here.

Thank you for starting the thread @@VSGAnn2014 . I have not reached maintenance yet. I am almost at 6 months post op, and my weight loss has slowed to a snails pace. Reading this helped me realize that its not a race. This is my life. I was up a pound this morning, and I almost let it ruin my day. Again...thank you!

I'm sensing a pattern here......

Generally minimize processed carbs, eat moderate carbohydrate.

I don't do refined carbs unless it's a treat.

Very mindful of any processed/refined carbs (don't do them).

I pretty much don't do simple/white/refined carbs on a daily basis--bread, potatoes, rice, pasta--I haven't had but a bite of rice since surgery, no Pasta and maybe 4 slices of bread

Eat them after Protein

do try to avoid foods that are highly processed and full of added carbs though.

Those of us just entering maintenance really need to pay attention to these answers...and apparently carbs ;)

Such a timely thread. I'm 6 pounds away from maintenance and I feel a bit overwhelmed by it. I've read all of these responses and appreciate the words of wisdom.

Great thread. Has me me motivated with the tools I need to relose 44 lbs.

I'm nearly 6 months into maintenance, and three weeks ago it got harder. Prior to that, as long as I avoided carbs I could eat lots of meat and nuts with no ill effect. Three weeks ago for my daughter's birthday party we served chicken nuggets. Every time I passed the platter I'd eat one or two – for two days! I didn't do anything else crazy – no sugar, no other carbs, nothing! But my weight started going up, and after 5 months of maintenance within about a pound, I was suddenly up 3.5. I will confess that my Fluid intake went down a bit at the same time and my walking had slowed down. So it was a perfect storm of small things adding up to make a big difference. Plus, a friend told me that our bariatric coordinator, a nurse, says that our metabolisms change at about 18 months after surgery -- which is pretty close to where I am. I suppose that may be affecting it as well. It's taken me three weeks to lose 1.5 pounds, but I still have about 2 to go to get back to my "ideal "weight". I'll get there, but I'm putting this out as a warning to everyone in maintenance to stay vigilant at all times. And whatever you do, don't avoid the scale --it helps you keep aware of where you are before a little gain becomes a big problem.

So true. Stay vigilant and get those last few pounds off. It helps to have someone to keep you on track. It's so easy to think gaining a pound or two is OK especially when everyone telling you not to lose anymore weight.

Yup. I heard that too. But it's easier to gain than to lose, so.......

I have to say ... I'm leery when I hear that "somebody's NUT / bariatric coordinator" has uttered a statement like: "Your metabolism starts to slow down at 18 months."

Before I take that factoid and wallpaper the inside of my skull with it I'd like to know a lot more about the research (if any) that supports that assertion.

And if it's true, I would want to understand why that happens, e.g., whether it's also related to changes in food, sodium, Fiber, slider foods, exercise, boredom, etc.

Since I didn't hear it myself, I don't want to put specific words into anyone's mouth. My guess is that it has to do with statistics showing that weight loss tends to slow after 12-18 months.

For what it's worth, I copied the following from diabetesjournals.org:

"The vast majority of weight loss after gastric bypass is accomplished at or around 1 year after surgery (1,2). Twelve to 18 months after surgery, some patients continue to lose a small amount of weight while others begin to maintain their lower weight. At eighteen to 24 months after surgery, almost all patients have stopped losing weight and most patients are maintaining or regaining weight."

And this from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery:

"Following weight loss surgery, patients may lose weight fairly rapidly at first, and then as time passes the weight loss becomes more gradual. Commonly, weight will stabilize at about 18 months after RYGB and DS."

Rog,

Thanks for quoting all that. Really appreciate it.

However, those findings don't identify or even hypothesize *why* weight loss ends and weight stabilizes after 18 months.

My own (untested) hypothesis would be that it's due to a combination of these factors:

* Weight has lowered to the point where the amount of food eaten is at the maintenance level for that weight.

* People get bored around 18 months with their high-Protein diets and start nibbling or eating higher calorie foods.

* Or something else.

I will offer this -- I've been eating 1700 calories on average for months and months, while still losing 1-2 pounds a month for nearly 6 months. And now around 139-140 my weight is finally holding steady. I've weighed 140 for the last 4 Monday mornings. So I think I've finally found my maintenance level. (Of course, that's the level for the amount of exercise I'm doing now.)

Jeez ... this is just one long old science experiment!

I am not anywhere near maintenance, but I had my 6 month post op appointment today, and my surgeon was disappointed that in the last 3 months I only lost 20 pounds. He said I should've lost 40, (twice what I lost)...he contributed it to me not drinking Protein shakes, and trying to get in 60 grms in solid food. I haven't been reaching my Protein goals for a few months evidently. So he told me to do 5 days of Protein Shakes (like at the beginning) to jump start my weight loss again. And after that I have to continue to drink a shake a day, so I get enough protein. Dang it! I thought I was doing well, but I wasn't. :(

Sleeve, 10 months, 5'5" 130.
5'4"- 136lbs

calories 1200 to 1500

Protein 100+

Carbs. Whole wheat and plant based. Fuels my body for the activities I participate in. Type 1 Diabetic..Keeps my blood sugar from dropping.

What exercise regimen frequency .Run 3 days a week an hour to an hour and a half. Strength training two days a week for an hour.

What role, if any, has counseling or therapy played: Counseling..Helped with body issues. The weight change happened so quickly I needed time for my mind to catch up to my body.

Advise. Stay connected to support what ever that looks like for you. Non of us are exempt from weight gain. Monitor your weight and adjust your eating and physical activity to stay in your weight range.