Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to approach the idea of VSG with my PCP?

I'm seeing my PCP for a medication/blood work follow-up (totally routine) on Tuesday and want to discuss the idea with my PCP since I know that in order to move forward, I will eventually need to have his clearance.

I don't know how to bring it up with him, or his views on the idea of any kind of WLS. Every time I see him, he says I'm healthy and every time I have blood work done, it comes back normal, with the exception of my cholesterol being a little elevated. He has me on a small dose of a BP med and that's it.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Just tell him you are considering it and would like his input and support

Sounds like we are in a similar boat!!! Except...I know my PCP will not want to give me the okay! He believes that everyone can lose weight by just becoming a vegetarian!!! I'm pretty sure he will NOT want to give me clearance for WLS,luckily I don't believe my insurance requires PCP approval, only medical clearance. My PCP is in the same network as the surgeon I want to use for surgery so my surgeon can already see all my medical records because it's all one record. I have an appointment to meet my surgeon for the 1st time first of August and (routine followup) at the end of August with my PCP so please update this post on how things go with your PCP!! I may need some tips on how to get around a uncooperative PCP!!! Good Luck!

If you see a cardiologist or endocrinologist for any reason lots of times they will approve also gyno all mine were willing to ok it for me

Interesting. I am going to be self pay because my insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery. I wonder if that would affect any clearance needed by my PCP. I really love my PCP so hopefully he will be supportive.

I'm not sure about your particular insurance but with mine i did not actually have to get clearance from my PCP, however I did tell her i was planning on getting it done. I just went to the surgery center here in Oregon and they did all the authorizations and referred me to the places i needed referrals for (like cardio for example). @@kbingo sounds like you might want to shop for a new PCP if they aren't on board with your goals. Good luck everyone :)

I booked an appointment with my PCP online and wrote in the reason as: seeking referral for bariatric surgery. I'd done a lot of research and had typed out my talking points beforehand. I also intended on arguing that I checked and my policy specifically covers WLS, and I qualified with my BMI alone (it was 45 at the time). There was no way I was leaving that room without a referral!

But I have a great doctor and he agreed before I barely had the request out of my mouth. In fact I had built myself up emotionally so much for an argument that his quick agreement threw me off guard, and I immediately burst into tears.

It wasn't my finest moment, but it was definitely one of the best days of my life!

Good luck!

Edited by The Candidate

I just told mine "I've made the decision to do this and would appreciate any support you can give me".

And she has and still does :)

My insurance never needed anything from my PCP but if he had said no, I would not have hesitated to get a second opinion especially since my Heath was failing, fortunately I only needed my psych doctor's ok letter

I had to have a letter of support/referral from my PCP, but it was for insurance. However, I love my doctor. We have been discussing WLS for a few years and he completely supports my decision.

My PCP is great and had been suggesting WLS to me for a couple years. All I needed from her was a letter stating that she thought I should have the surgery and why.

I met with my PCP this morning and discussed the idea of surgery. He was totally in support of it. He said that the patients of his that have done it have had great results.

He said that I am ideal candidate in his opinion, because I have a lot of excess weight and deal with just elevated blood pressure and cholesterol. He said since those are my only issues (aside from, obviously, weight), he would be happy to clear me for surgery. He said for the surgeon's office to just let him know what they needed from his office and they would take care of it.

Edited by Mary Ann H

I met with my PCP this morning and discussed the idea of surgery. He was totally in support of it. He said that the patients of his that have done it have had great results.

He said that I am ideal candidate in his opinion, because I have a lot of excess weight and deal with just elevated blood pressure and cholesterol. He said since those are my only issues (aside from, obviously, weight), he would be happy to clear me for surgery. He said to just let the surgeon's office know what they needed from his office and they would take care of it.

Yay! I'm so happy for you!

That's the problem I'm having now my pcp has no problem in supporting me with the surgery but still haven't given me the medical necessity ugh and my appt is the 5th I was told by the surgeons staff not to worry they will take care talking to the doctor it's still aggravating considering her was all for it

That's the problem I'm having now my pcp has no problem in supporting me with the surgery but still haven't given me the medical necessity ugh and my appt is the 5th I was told by the surgeons staff not to worry they will take care talking to the doctor it's still aggravating considering her was all for it

What do you need from her?