Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you ever notice commercials?

So I am home, was sleeved on the 23rd and enjoying my 3 ounces of liquid every hour while watching the Harry Potter films on ABC Family.

I started to count the number of food commercials that are shown. By my calculations about 50% are about food and ironically 25% have to do with diets and weigh loss products.

I don't feel hungry and don't really want any food at this point, but it is staggering to realize how intrusive food is in our lives.

This is why I watch movies on netflix or hulu or the internet. No commercials

I just asked my boyfriend to "please watch something that is DVRd"....he asked why...so i sweetly told him, as my head spun on its axis.... "I am on day 7 of a 2 week a liquid pre-op diet and i do not want to see food commercials!" Poor guy!

Isn't it crazy?? I was sleeved on the 15th and I seriously couldn't believe it. Papa Murphys is like every other commercial.

How are you feeling?

At this point I half expect the people in those commercials to turn their heads, call me personally by name, and beckon me over to join the feast!

Isn't it crazy?? I was sleeved on the 15th and I seriously couldn't believe it. Papa Murphys is like every other commercial.

How are you feeling?

All things considered I am doing okay. I don't want to jinx anything but things seem to be going good. I haven't had a BM yet, but I figure that will fix itself soon, and I haven't felt sick at all. My left side hurts pretty badly, but because of the scar tissue in my abdomen they had to go in on that side and did most of the work there, the pain medicine is working really well though.

I stopped drinking alcohol about 20 years ago, but I told my wife that when I am drinking stuff now I tell myself it is 20 year old scotch that must be savored, not chugged, it seems to make it easier to sip then, lol.

My first follow-up appointment is next Monday, they have to take the stiches out, I had to have normal stiches put in one of the incisions.

How are you doing?

At this point I half expect the people in those commercials to turn their heads, call me personally by name, and beckon me over to join the feast!

No kidding!! I have to admit I REALLY liked the chocolate turnovers from Arby's and what did they show last night, a commercial with one in it. I swear they said my name in it, LOL

I would only have 1 like every 2 months or so, but it kind of hit me, the best I will ever be able to do is maybe have a little bite of one in the future, but that is okay, the trade-off is worth it.

Whaaaaaat. I never tried the chocolate turn overs! At this point, I'm glad I didn't.

I'm feeling really good, too. I was waking up every morning with 2-3 lbs gone. Now that I'm approaching my 2nd week though, the scale hasn't moved in two days. A little discouraging, but I hear it happens. :) I'm down 27 lbs since July 1st, including my pre-op diet.

It should be illegal how many commercials there are for food. Ps. Harry Potter Forever

I was sleeved on January 21st and the amount of food commercials leading up to the Super Bowl was TORTURE!!!! I never noticed before, but boy it was rough.

Catch up on movies if you can or DVR and watch later so you can ff thru them. :-)

Good Luck!

At the middle of June I posted a commercial I was disgusted with and it blew up with responses, lol, it was about a new burger that had beef, hotdogs, and chips inside it, also those new pizzas with the cheese sticks made into them, it's like when you buy a new car, you may only see one or two on the street and after you buy one it seems as though they are everywhere!!!!!!!!

The sheer value of food commercials is annoying. But then, if it's not a food commercial it's a dating commercial or for medication of some sort; all equally as annoying.

Heck, in just this 4 minute commercial break I have watched:

-Medical insurance,

-Greek yogurt,

-Toilet paper

-Medication of some sort,

-Hillshire Farm (2 commercials),

-Granola bar,

-Hotel commercial,

-cheese commercial

While food does not really seem appealing to my tummy right now, my head still thinks that pizza, ice cream, and (certain) cheeseburger commercials look yummy.

We have always talked about how many pill commercials there is, but now I have too been realizing just how many food commercials there are. And my husband told me to stop torturing myself , and when I told him "man that looks good" he changed the channel on the TV.. He said you don't even like that kind of food! And I didn't but before on the 2 week pre op liquid diet and the after surgery diet, I wanted just anything at that point. I am now 27 days out, my weight loss is very slow. I had the Lap Band for 12 years, and I am pretty sure my system is like WTH is going on right now! That is what I keep telling myself anyway, I pray that things will keep going and progressing forward. I pray this works and I finally lose my weight and get to goal! I am now learning to eat again, things I was unable to eat for a long time with the Lap Band even. I want to eat everything still but not letting myself! I am enjoying the things I can eat right now, as the liquid diet has taught me things can be worse! I could still be on liquids!

I am watching less and less of TV, I find something to do! Something that requires me to move!

Good luck everyone!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches